996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What is wrong with the 996?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:55 PM
mhs525 is on a distinguished road
I have been driving my car almost every day and having a blast. I had forgotten how much fun this car is on any road with curves.

Everyone who comments on my car says they love it, even guys who own newer Boxters and 997's so I guess I am lucky not to have run into "996 haters".

Here she after the first wash of the season.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:02 PM
masterofpuppets is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mhs525
I have been driving my car almost every day and having a blast. I had forgotten how much fun this car is on any road with curves.

Everyone who comments on my car says they love it, even guys who own newer Boxters and 997's so I guess I am lucky not to have run into "996 haters".

Here she after the first wash of the season.

Looks wicked. Gotta get the gt3 front bar for mine. I actually like the early gt3 look with the early lights better than the series 2.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:53 PM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
nice color

Canesman,
Is that Orient Red?
I have only seen 3 others.
Here's mine

Originally Posted by canesman07
You confirmed that the 4C S actually exists. Thanx

Here is my ride in question. I like the head lights BTW

Bought it used with 48K on the dial. It has been driven from Houston to TN (one way) and from TN to Miami there and back. Now has 47K on the dial...

Factory Aeri Kit Carbon Fiber trim New Tint and tunes..MB Quart 4s in the dash and rear, factory subs in doors and 8 inch Sub in back...

Old 05-07-2015, 06:10 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Nice looking car there NY

Old 05-07-2015, 08:21 AM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
TY FLA996, I would love to find out how many 996s were produced in Orient Red in 2003.
I know there is some website out there that has numbers of cars produced with different options, just can't find it.
Now, I am looking to get permission from wife (LOL)for a lone road trip to Tampa to visit and old drag racing buddy, it's about 1200 miles each way, fun trip for a Porsche.
Maybe even visit Lakeland Dragstrip after a burger and shake from a Steak & Shake, it's been 40 years since I was there.
Here is an old photo from the 1970s

Old 05-07-2015, 08:25 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Steak & Shake oh yeah! And visit Ybor city. I'm actually heading there tomorrow night.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Steak & Shake on Fowler Ave. Used to be a lot of street racing back in the 1970s. I won a Mr. Gasket Verti-gate shifter on 30th againist a 427 Nova. My buddy I thinks still belongs to some group called the Tampa Nights, He has had a Blown Bucket "T", still has his 67 SS 427 Impala and a Ford Sedan with a 500 cu in BB Chevy.
Are there a lot of Porsche cars in that area?

Old 05-07-2015, 09:19 AM
Porsche's are growing in numbers around here, Reeves is just down the street. When I was in H.S. (King) I lived down in Temple Terrace then went to USF, that area has really changed but the Steak & Shake is still there. Remember Mel's on Busch?

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Steak & Shake on Fowler Ave. Used to be a lot of street racing back in the 1970s. I won a Mr. Gasket Verti-gate shifter on 30th againist a 427 Nova. My buddy I thinks still belongs to some group called the Tampa Nights, He has had a Blown Bucket "T", still has his 67 SS 427 Impala and a Ford Sedan with a 500 cu in BB Chevy.
Are there a lot of Porsche cars in that area?

Old 05-07-2015, 09:47 AM
temple terrace

My parents lived on bougainvillea, just down from temple terrace.
They left Tampa in the late 1990s if was getting really bad there.
I only lived there for about a year, then moved back to NY to get married.
I worked at a car wash on Fowler in 1977, lol I wonder if it is still there?
All the street racers used to cruise from north Tampa to a road called dale mabry, I think, long time ago, it was by buccaneers stadium.
Ybor city, you never went to, it was riddled with crime back then, I hear now it is really nice.

QUOTE=FLA996TT;4336404]Porsche's are growing in numbers around here, Reeves is just down the street. When I was in H.S. (King) I lived down in Temple Terrace then went to USF, that area has really changed but the Steak & Shake is still there. Remember Mel's on Busch?[/QUOTE]

Old 05-07-2015, 07:46 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by NYoutftr
My parents lived on bougainvillea, just down from temple terrace.
They left Tampa in the late 1990s if was getting really bad there.
I only lived there for about a year, then moved back to NY to get married.
I worked at a car wash on Fowler in 1977, lol I wonder if it is still there?
All the street racers used to cruise from north Tampa to a road called dale mabry, I think, long time ago, it was by buccaneers stadium.
Ybor city, you never went to, it was riddled with crime back then, I hear now it is really nice.

QUOTE=FLA996TT;4336404]Porsche's are growing in numbers around here, Reeves is just down the street. When I was in H.S. (King) I lived down in Temple Terrace then went to USF, that area has really changed but the Steak & Shake is still there. Remember Mel's on Busch?
[/QUOTE]

Funny thing you guys are talking about Tampa. I just moved here to St Petersburg. I looked around in Tamp and St Pete for a month before buying a house. The area has certainly changed for the better a lot. We only moved to St Pete because we wanted to be closer to the beach. We are closing on our home in a few days and I'm going down to West Palm to bring the Porsche back up next week. Been looking at the Suncoast Porsche Club website and there are some activities planned. Also I am planning to hit up some of the cars and coffee events to meet other P-car owners as well. We're happy to be here. One of the main reasons we moved besides the weather was the cost of real estate here. We're real estate investors and can pick up condos and small homes on the cheap. We're buying them, doing a few repairs and then selling them owner finance. It's a good area for this. If you guys want to plan a little meet up, I'll have my car here in Tampa next weekend. Hopefully the wife will understand that I have to make some new friends on move in day, lol. Right now we are staying on MacDill AFB until we close. There are a few P-cars I've seen here on post but have not met anyone yet. Cheers.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:01 AM
I'm in for a meet up. FYI the first Saturday of every month Reeves has a cars and coffee event from 7-9am. I'm in Brandon so I'm pretty close to everything.

Funny thing you guys are talking about Tampa. I just moved here to St Petersburg. I looked around in Tamp and St Pete for a month before buying a house. The area has certainly changed for the better a lot. We only moved to St Pete because we wanted to be closer to the beach. We are closing on our home in a few days and I'm going down to West Palm to bring the Porsche back up next week. Been looking at the Suncoast Porsche Club website and there are some activities planned. Also I am planning to hit up some of the cars and coffee events to meet other P-car owners as well. We're happy to be here. One of the main reasons we moved besides the weather was the cost of real estate here. We're real estate investors and can pick up condos and small homes on the cheap. We're buying them, doing a few repairs and then selling them owner finance. It's a good area for this. If you guys want to plan a little meet up, I'll have my car here in Tampa next weekend. Hopefully the wife will understand that I have to make some new friends on move in day, lol. Right now we are staying on MacDill AFB until we close. There are a few P-cars I've seen here on post but have not met anyone yet. Cheers. [/QUOTE]

Old 05-11-2015, 09:36 AM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
Name:  29CDDF60-B9BF-435F-A2D7-A7884F8BFC7F.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  75.6 KB

These headlights look awesome, and when you figure this technology was being used in 02 even more awesome. I have nothing negative to say about them except when I accidentally used the headlight washer and the cover flew off.
I've never received a negative comment, a wouldn't give a shyte if I did. The 996 in any variant is a head turner and we are all lucky to have one waiting for us in our driveway/garage/carport/mind.

Last edited by Atrox; 05-11-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:19 AM
UrsaMinor1 will become famous soon enoughUrsaMinor1 will become famous soon enough
There will always be haters, it's just a fact of life. I couldn't care less though of their views opinions or for what they drive. I love my 996 with every fibre of being, she's the perfect car. I love talking about it, looking at it, even scrolling the pics in my phone I find myself smiling. It's mine, I worked hard and earned every inch of it. I look at it from various angles checking the lines and how sleek it is. I look at others Pcars and know we have a bond, an unspoken loyalty and brotherhood. I love the head lights, infact I look at older and newer models and think how small their lights look, like pi$$ holes in the snow. Of course I wouldn't say no to a 997 but I don't think I could ever trade my 996 C4S cab, although I am currently looking for a coupe brother for her so I have the best of both worlds. My G/F doesn't understand it, she says I'm obsessive and it's just a machine. I tell her "babe I own a Porsche, and you own a fantastic shoe collection, be happy".

Happiness comes in many shapes, sizes and forms and mine happens to be a 996 so who cares about an opinion on headlights or water cooled engines - I own a freaking porsche.

Last edited by UrsaMinor1; 05-11-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Yes, I agree......

Originally Posted by Atrox

These headlights look awesome, and when you figure this technology was being used in 02 even more awesome. I have nothing negative to say about them except when I accidentally used the headlight washer and the cover flew off.
I've never received a negative comment, a wouldn't give a shyte if I did. The 996 in any variant is a head turner and we are all lucky to have one waiting for us in our driveway/garage/carport/mind.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:37 PM
well said

Well said!!

Originally Posted by UrsaMinor1
There will always be haters, it's just a fact of life. I couldn't care less though of their views opinions or for what they drive. I love my 996 with every fibre of being, she's the perfect car. I love talking about it, looking at it, even scrolling the pics in my phone I find myself smiling. It's mine, I worked hard and earned every inch of it. I look at it from various angles checking the lines and how sleek it is. I look at others Pcars and know we have a bond, an unspoken loyalty and brotherhood. I love the head lights, infact I look at older and newer models and think how small their lights look, like pi$$ holes in the snow. Of course I wouldn't say no to a 997 but I don't think I could ever trade my 996 C4S cab, although I am currently looking for a coupe brother for her so I have the best of both worlds. My G/F doesn't understand it, she says I'm obsessive and it's just a machine. I tell her "babe I own a Porsche, and you own a fantastic shoe collection, be happy".

Happiness comes in many shapes, sizes and forms and mine happens to be a 996 so who cares about an opinion on headlights or water cooled engines - I own a freaking porsche.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with the 996?