996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

My 996 to 997 conversion on my C4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:58 PM
Porsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enoughPorsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enough
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around. Been busy with work and the new addition to the family! I got my 997 mirror in the mail from Jeff but I have not had the time yet to even attempt the project. As soon as I do I will be sure to take pictures of the entire process and document every step of the way to share with everyone on here.

Thank you Scowboy for having the trust in me to be able to build your front end. As much as I'd love to take on the task I honestly don't have the time nor the insurance to do so. God forbid something went wrong I wouldn't want myself or you to be placed in a bad situation. If you lived close I would have absolutely helped you out on my free time. If you do take on the task be sure to call Jeff and order his kit. It's the best priced kit on the market and absolutely worth every penny. Also, if you do please let me know and I will send you my cell phone number. If you have any questions you're more than welcome to call me.

Rotorite, I just emailed Jeff asking about doing this project and I expressed your interest. I want the 997 gt3rs spoiler for my car more than I can even begin to explain hahaha. No one makes it for the C4S and the only company willing to do so is wicked. They are unreliable and charge entirely too much. The exact spoiler can be reproduced for every other model for less than half wicked's proce.

The last time I called them to ask about the spoiler he told me he was going to charge me to create the mold for the c4s and such. I quickly said bye and hung up with him. That's not how business is done. I understand he wants to be paid for his time invested in creating the mold but he can't charge me to create the mold and then continue to make money off the mold every time he sells another spoiler. If I'm paying for the mold to be made then he better send me the mold as well as the decklid and spoiler hahaha. I just didn't feel good about the deal at all, so I didn't bother. Unfortunately though, he is the only one who has made the spoiler.

My only other thought was to buy a knock off of the spoiler. Plenty of knock off companies make the exact spoiler as a universal version for a couple hundred dollars. Then buy some 997 gt3rs pedistals and bring the spoiler, pedistals and c4s decklid to a body shop and have them custom make the spoiler for me. I'm figuring that would run me 1,500 or so. In the end it would probably be a 2,000 dollar job. Just a thought....

Old 12-04-2015, 11:26 AM
clsund will become famous soon enoughclsund will become famous soon enough
Looking good. Thinking about doing the conversion too. do you know if anyone has used OEM 997 fenders instead of fiberglass?

Old 12-05-2015, 08:01 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
It can be done, but I don't think it's a direct bolt-on installation. It will take some modifications, cutting, welding, etc.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:15 AM
Porsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enoughPorsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enough
Clsund, yes it absolutely can be done and has been done numerous times. There is quite a bit of cutting and welding involved. I believe wicked sells a full Metal bolt on kit using all oem parts. I don't know much about wicked but if you read through my full post you will see a few people speaking very poorly of wicked. Plus their kit is way over priced.

If you want metal fenders my best suggestion would be to call Jeff at extreme Motorcars (I can get you his number) and tell him you want his full except the fenders. Tell him you want all the gas door parts as well etc etc. The only thing you do not want is the actual fenders. That will obviously save you some money on the kit. Then go on ebay and order a set of used 997 fenders. Thid will save you a lot of money. To buy wickeds kit you are looking at 10 grand. Extreme motocars kit is 5 grand, which would be less for you cause you are not getting the fenders. A pair of 997 fenders on ebay isnt all that expensive. It woukd cost you 6-700 for the pair. You will have to take the 997 fenders and mark where you want the fenders cut and bring them to someone who can cut and weld. You will want them cut at the bottom half where they meet the sideskirts, the full door line and full hood line. There is articles out there that show you exactly where to cut.

I hope this helps and good luck. It's a fun build to do!

Old 12-06-2015, 10:54 PM
clsund will become famous soon enoughclsund will become famous soon enough
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:53 PM
I hope it helps. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out. There is very little info out there in regards to this build. A lot of the challenges that this build presented I was able to have answered by Jeff at extreme motorcars. Him and his crew are awesome.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:30 AM
Stone_05 is on a distinguished road
First let me say that I've been following your thread and it's been a joy to watch you transform your C4S into a beauty! I'm pretty passionate about mine as well and never plan on selling at this point. I've done too much to it and enjoy it too much to watch it leave with a new owner. I've also toyed around with the idea of changing my front end. Just haven't gotten up enough courage to follow through with purchasing a kit yet. I have some Rotec seats with red stitching that would go well with a red roll cage. It would also give my interior a little pop so I'm interested in the roll cage you purchased and the level of difficulty installing. Some of the roll cages I've looked at are specific to non-sunroof? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Stone, thanks I appreciate the compliment. I was the same way and that's why I waited so long to finally do the conversion. I can tell you this much, I have a new found love for the car that's even stronger than before I did the conversion. In my eyes (beauty is in the eyes of the beholder) it's the ideal 911. I believe the 996 c4s/turbo bodies have the nicest rear end of all 911's even the 991. The 997 GT3 in my eyes had the nicest front end of all the 911's (tied with the 991 gt3 rs, because of those awesome fenders lol). I wanted to put the two together worse than bad! I finally gained the courage to spend the money and I'll never ever ever regret it. You sound a lot like I did so, I'd say you won't regret it either. Just don't buy the cheapest kit you can find. Extreme Dimension kits are absolute garbage, fit terrible and will crack just from the cold air alone. As many has stated on here, wicked is extremely over priced and unreliable. People posted how they never even received their merchandise from the company. I can't personally attest for that but, I'm also not going to play the odds lol.

If you are ever serious about it and want to go the fiberglass route let me know and I'll get you in contact with Jeff at Extreme Motorcars. Their kit is as hard as a rock. A metal fender will dent before this kit will crack. You could stand on the fenders and they won't even stress. There must be 50 layers of fiberglass lol. And it's got the black backing. I remember a buddy of mine told me that you will know good fiberglass if it has the black backing. Green or blue are the two worst.

The rollcage I got from VIVID along with the carbon rear diffuser for our cars. I was told the rollcage was a direct bolt in. It absolutely is not, it's universal. I had to drill and bolt to the chasis and then fill the bottom side to be sure no water would ever come through (not that it would). The reason I went with their cage was because it was the only direct bolt on cage that was a full cage with the door bars as well. I purposely called to ask if the bars bolt to the cage or must be welded. The guy I spoke with assured me the cage was direct bolt on and the door bars bolt on that the picture shown was just a generic photo. That was not true! The door bars must be welded. I do plan on running rest of the cage during the winter time. I just put the back portion in and decided to wait to see if I wanted to install the front half or not. I've decided I want to do the front half as well. The cage itself is really nice, I can't lie. It fits perfectly inside the car. Even though it requires you to drill in the chasis, it forms to the chasis perfectly where it meets the floor. I got the cage shipped for a grand. I believe the cage was going for 1200 plus shipping. That's why I never complained when I got the cage in and discovered the two questions I asked was not the correct answers. With the shipping charge I saved about 300. I do love the cage overall, so I'll suck up the loss and be happy.

If you have any questions about anything I've done or want to order the kit from Jeff let me know. If you order it let me know and I'll give you my cell. Any questions you have while installing the kit you can call and I'll gladly walk you through.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:50 PM
Sorry for the novel, just wanted to be thorough with my replies hahahah

Old 01-26-2016, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the response man! No worries on the novel. The more information the better! I'll definitely be in touch if I ever finally pull the trigger on the kit. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" and "buy/fix cheap...buy/fix twice". Haha!

In your roll cage research did you come across any that were in fact a direct bolt on?? I saw one by Agency Power but they mentioned something about sunroof and non-sunroof so that was a little concerning. I'll give them a shout to double check. Just wanted to check to see if you already did research on roll cages specifically for the C4S.

Thanks again!!!

Old 01-26-2016, 05:36 PM
https://www.dassport.com/store/produ...-%2798-to-2011

Here's the way to go. NYoutfitter02 has one in his car and he can attest to how good they are. If I didn't want the full cage this is the route I 110% would have went.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:38 PM
The sunroof issue is probably due to it going back and getting stuck. That's just my assumption. Doesn't mean you can use the cage. Just means you can only use tilt mode on the sunroof (which is all I use it for).

Oh and I absolute agree on those statements, doing it right the first time and you get what you pay for. I've always been a firm believer in that as well.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Porsche_Shiftin04
The sunroof issue is probably due to it going back and getting stuck. That's just my assumption. Doesn't mean you can use the cage. Just means you can only use tilt mode on the sunroof (which is all I use it for).

Oh and I absolute agree on those statements, doing it right the first time and you get what you pay for. I've always been a firm believer in that as well.
Thanks!! Appreciate the info!

Old 01-27-2016, 05:47 AM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
Stone
read the info on bars, pointing out the foot design of the dassport, is right over the frame.
also, the rear mount have a rear shock brace, center bar is correct height for harness for NHRA drag racing.
Call dassport, they are very helpful. I could not be happier.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:28 AM
Will do! Thanks NYoutftr!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 996 to 997 conversion on my C4S