996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

My 996 to 997 conversion on my C4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 04:44 AM
Porsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enoughPorsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enough
Ck911, thanks! I will continue to detail the build the best I can as I move forward with it. I'll try and get some pics in the next few nights of the gas door assembly. I actually enjoy doing the work myself so this has been a really fun project so far.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:47 AM
Porsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enoughPorsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enough
Eurotuner, that is all very true. I couldn't agree more about Jeff and his products. Like I said earlier, I even spoke with his installer nick and he was a huge help. Go buy a crapy kit from extreme dimensions and then try and call them for advice, they won't even answer your phone call. The kits they provide are top of the line and I think Jeff can comfortably stand behind them. Please feel free to post up a pic of your 986 rear end.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:55 PM
Today I was able to get the bumper fully lined up and ready for some body work. I took close up pics of the bumper to the fender. I also took pics of the bumper lights as I've started to get them installed. Lastly I took pics of the gas door assembly and the gas neck insert.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:16 PM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Eurotunerporsche
hey guys new member here. As a 27 year old and owner of over 24 german sports cars (7 being Porsches) would like to say nice work so far.

That kit looks like its coming along great wanted to congratulate you on the Xtreme change lol very high quality parts and fit perfectly. Im sure he sent diagrams and directions and list of parts. its going to look like a 200,000$ car again and still remain looking like a high end porsche. The update will take years off the car facelifting it 9 years awesome man.

I actually have known Jeff, owner of extreme motorcars for over a year now. he and his company and his workers are incredible group of guys. Very honest and so helpful and do not cheap out on materials and know some of the higher up people like owners of gemballa and techart etc.

I actually have the extreme motor cars GT3RS rear bumper for the 986 rear conversion. Hoping to get the zeintop kit as well. Also in the works in buying Xtrememotorcars EVO techart front bumper and 997 front end cpnversion as well with aurora 991 mk1 style black bi-xenon headlights on ebay for 1500$. Jeff will supply you with the OEM headlight brackets and all hardware as well as the hood hinges and can source OEM headlights DRLS and side markers as well. The the EVO bumper is the exact replica of techarts and the GT3Rs is also exact rep. very high quality none of the DURAFLEX or cheaper materials. I have car at numerous shows and also gave him liberty to distribute pics of my car and it has made many buy the rear kit . Exhaust is being done now also custom except no one in worls will have it. Feel free to contact Jeff at Xtreme motorcars and mention my name aaron to him, he may work something out with you. Best and nicest guy to talk to about modding exterior of your Lamborghini or Porsche.
Can we see the boxster?

Old 05-24-2015, 05:31 AM
I started the body work last night. I didn't get to do much but I started with the front bumper. The bumper needed work where it meets the fender and also where it meets the headlights. I used Duraglass which dries as hard as a rock. In the last pictures you can see where I tested the headlights to make sure all the gaps are gone.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:17 PM
I haven't been able to really do much work on the car lately. I was able to put a lot of hours into the car these past two days though. Everything is complete and ready for the paint shop. All I have left to do is sand our some spot putty and filler prime and block sand. Its raining here now so i unfortunately couldnt finish with the primkng. Body work on the bumper was easy to complete. The door line was the hard part. The fenders come with the 997 door line which is different than the 996.

The fenders also had a larger door gap than the 996. So, to recreate the 996 door line and gap I taped the door off and put tape on the inner part of the fender. I took my Dura-Glass and laid it on the fender and tape. After 15-20 minutes I removed the tape under the filler. I then sanded with 80 grit, opening and closing the door to check my door line and gap. Once I got my lines right I then did a skim coat of body filler and feathered it out. I took a few pictures of the process. I unfortunately didn't get any of the finished with the tape off the door and fully feathered out. Here's what I got for pics.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:59 PM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
Looking good! Can't wait to see your 9967 finished and painted! I have been thinking about selling mine as I have "inherited" permanent custody of my 4 grandchildren!! But I like how this is looking and it might be a long time before I can spend the money on a round headlight Turbo! I have a paint and body shop "in house" so this looks promising! Keep the pics coming!

Old 05-31-2015, 08:09 PM
Vantardoc, thank you! It's been a really fun project and I'm still not finished. I have to wire up the headlights and bumper lights. If you're able to do body work then it's definitely a feasible project. It's also an excuse to get out of the house with 4 kids running around screaming lol

Old 05-31-2015, 08:14 PM
There was a lot more work involved on the front bumper than I show in these pictures. I thought I took pics before I started priming the front bumper but I guess I didn't.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:25 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Porsche_Shiftin04
The alignment of the kit is great but, it obviously needs body filler work. The amount of filler work is very very minimum.
Keep up the good work.

I guess you and I have a different opinion on what "very very minimum" is. Lol.

At least you were able to do the hard stuff yourself and save a bit of cash. Looking forward to the finished product.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:41 PM
Alpine, thanks!! Hahaha it really isn't that bad. The door line was the hardest part cause it takes some time but it's not hard if you have done body work before. Compared to kits I worked with back in my Honda days this quality is far superior. There is no cutting and really fitting parts.

Everything lines up and bolts right on. There is only a few spots that need body filler. A novice could complete this project as long as they have patience.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:08 PM
YJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond repute
I think it will look awesome when done, especially on the C4S with the widebody.
I've always thought about doing a facelift on my 996TT also, but have never come across a kit that was plug and play. Everything with fiberglass looks to need alot of body work which i'm not willing to do...
Can't wait to see the final results, it will definately update the appearance.

GL

Old 06-03-2015, 07:26 PM
YJosephTT, I suggest this kit to anyone as the quality is great and the fitment is awesome. I say awesome because anyone that has dealt with fiberglass knows the head ache that usually comes along with it. This kit needs minimum work compares to most kits on the market.

I would suggest this kit because there is no cutting on the body of your car (you do have to cut the bumper support though) or on any of the fiberglass. If you know how to work with body filler then you can do this kit all on your own. I'm not saying it is a walk in the park and won't be frustrating at times but it can be done very well with some patience and time (two things I have almost none of lol)

I am happy that I am doing this on a c4s cause it is wide body and will look more authentic but, I've seen it done in narrow body models as well and it does look really good. The 996 is an amazing piece of machines, the 997 front end is the front end that belonged on the car though. To me that makes the 996 the ultimate 911 (in my eyes). Your best bet is to buy the steel fenders. They bolt right on with no work at all needed.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
My 996 to 997 conversion on my C4S

You are sure that the factory steel fenders will bolt right up? How do the factory fenders line with the doors? Have you seen a 996 with factory 997 parts on it?

Old 06-03-2015, 08:38 PM
The factory stuff won't line up. Wicked motor works sells a steel fender kit. They cut a 997 stock fender and a 996 stock fender and mesh them together to work on the 996 body. That's exactly what my kit is, it's a fiberglass mold of a 996/997 fender meshed together. Wicked motor works kit is double the price at 10,000.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 996 to 997 conversion on my C4S