996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

My 996 to 997 conversion on my C4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:48 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vantaredoc
You are sure that the factory steel fenders will bolt right up? How do the factory fenders line with the doors? Have you seen a 996 with factory 997 parts on it?
Premodified oem steel fenders can run as high as $3k for only the fenders. I can post pics of oem steel fender modification when I get back from vacation.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:57 AM
Porsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enoughPorsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enough
Alpine, like I was saying that steel modified kit from wicked motor works is like 10k for the kit. I wasn't about to spend that kind of money on a kit. The fiberglass kit I got was 4,8xx.xx shipped. Even that was hard to justify but I wanted the kit that bad.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:59 AM
YJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Porsche_Shiftin04
Alpine, like I was saying that steel modified kit from wicked motor works is like 10k for the kit. I wasn't about to spend that kind of money on a kit. The fiberglass kit I got was 4,8xx.xx shipped. Even that was hard to justify but I wanted the kit that bad.
The wicked kit is 8k on their site and think it includes the lights.
To me the difference in cost for not having to do fiberglass work with filler etc might be worth it. Especially if it's more plug and play with near perfect fit.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Porsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enoughPorsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enough
It is 8k and that's if you send your headlights in. If not then you need to buy the headlights and headlight trays from them. I personally would not give up my absolute mint 4s headlights. So that would be a 10 grand kit for me. I got everything I needed in this kit for less than half the cost. I can do body work so the cost difference to me is large. The fiberglass kit is just as strong if not stronger than the steel fenders. You can sit on these parts and they literally won't break (unless you're heavily over weight lol).

So for someone like myself the fiberglass kit is the better option. For someone who doesn't want to mess with filler and alignment I absolutely agree with you alpine that the steel kit is the way to go. That extra money you pay is subtracting out man hours. I don't think the quality of one kit is better than the other. I think it's more about what you're personally willing to do. I also wouldn't be surprised if the steel kit also needs a little filler action on it. I can't say that for sure because I've never dealt with them.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:29 AM
Everything I've done on my car is 100% reversible. I purposely this for resale value and precaution to anything ever happening to the kit. If you give up your headlights and need/want to change your front end back you're now in the market for another pair of at least 1,000 dollar 996 headlights.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:42 AM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
For me that wouldn't be a problem as I have a spare set of headlights. The biggest problem I see is Wicked's reliability! I have read far more bad things about them than good. I would love to bolt on a steel kit, but I would be afraid to send them money before I received the parts due to all the bad things I have been reading.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:49 AM
Really? I don't know much about wicked. I only dealt with them once. They make the 997.2 GT3 RS spoiler for the 996 turbo. I assumed that would fit my C4S and called to order it for 4k. They told me it wouldn't fit but could make me one for 8k. No way am I going to pay that much for that decklid. If it fit my car (I still wonder if it would) I would buy it for the 4k.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:57 PM
All the parts are off the car and getting primed. Once I'm finished priming I will sand out once more and then hit it with one last coat of some good high build primer. While I am waiting for the primer to dry I decided to wrap the gas door in carbon fiber. This is the same stuff I will be using on the hood and soon after this build my roof as well. Hard to tell in the pictures but the carbon is a matte finish.

Next week I will put the tires back on the car and roll it out for a bath and a good cleaning of my garage. Then I have to wrap the hood and wire the headlights and bumper lights. I hope to have the parts back by next Friday and to have them on by Sunday.

Last edited by Porsche_Shiftin04; 06-05-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:08 PM

Old 06-06-2015, 03:29 AM
996lee is on a distinguished road
you planning on 997 type mirrors too?
as just my opinion but with having real carbon on the mirrors (current)and then matt carbon on your fuel filler cover wont tie in (if that makes sense?)

Old 06-06-2015, 03:46 AM
996lee, I do plan to eventually change the mirrors. The mirrors on the car now have a carbon shell on them that I plan to take off and wrap in the matte carbon wrap. I agree that the two would clash and have all intentions of changing that.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:41 AM
All the body work is completed and ready to be sent off to the painter. I put the wheels back on this morning, pulled her out and gave her a bath. I also painted the bottom of the hood flat black and cleaned my garage.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
I check this thread daily, as what you are doing is impressive. Looking forward to seeing it complete. Keep up the good work. Are you planning on repainting the rest of the car?

Old 06-08-2015, 01:14 PM
Thanks Atrox! I'm trying to document this process the best I can. I've seen a lot of threads in regards to these kits but non that has been completed out of someone's garage. All the ones I've seen are people who've taken their car's in to their local body shop. I want create a thread for people like myself who want to take this task on personally. It's not easy and very time consuming but, with some patience and time it all starts to come together.

I do not plan on having the whole car repainted. The reason is because the paint on my car is immaculate. I always keep the car with a fresh coat of wax and do a full detail twice a driving season. People always think I have just purchased the car brand new from the show room. Last year I had my front bumper repainted but the same painter and you would have never known the bumper had newer paint than the rest of the car. My painter even told me it is a waste of money to spray the whole car that it won't look any better than it already does. The car never sits in the sun for a prolonged time, is garaged year round and has never seen rain or snow.

I sent the parts to my painter yesterday and he said I would have them back by Sunday morning. The lady who is doing the hood will have it finished by next friday. I have to drop the hood off sometime this week. As soon as I get the parts back I will post more pictures and any other details I may have.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:35 PM
Fierofly is on a distinguished road
After looking at it without the fenders, I'm thinking someone needs to design a slant nose mod for the 996.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 996 to 997 conversion on my C4S