996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

My 996 to 997 conversion on my C4S

Old 06-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Porsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enoughPorsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enough
Tonight I got both headlights and bumper lights working. I wanted to document the process of how to connect the bumper lights but I didn't run the fog light so my process is short two wires. The process for the bumper lights is not that hard but can be tricky if you have never worked with wiring before.

Aside from running the wires for the fog and blinker you also need to run a hot wire that runs on ACC. For those that don't know what that means it is a hot wire (power wire) that doesn't go hot until you turn the key to the ACC position or turn the car on. You can't run this wire to the battery because when you turn the car off and take out the key the light will still be on and won't turn off. I ran these wires to the windshield washer squirter. All that is left now is to have the hood wrapped (dropping off the hood tomorrow) and then install the parts when I get them all back. It has been a fun process but excited to see the end result.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:52 AM
MrX
MrX is on a distinguished road
Great work mate! Looking forward to seeing final result!

Old 06-11-2015, 08:17 AM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
It's great having to wait on the panels, it gives you the time to do all the small detailed stuff without getting antsy to throw the new panels on there. Coming along nicely. What's your estimate for completion?

Old 06-11-2015, 02:36 PM
Porsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enoughPorsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enough
HIDS are installed. The ballist and all the wiring fits in the back of the headlight housing which is nice.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:33 PM
I got all the fittings on the headlight and bumper light wires. I went to my local hardware store and got some male and female connectors. I cut the bumper light wires and fitted them with the female clips and the wires coming from the headlight harness with the male clips. This way it is easy to take them in and out whenever need be. I just got home from dropping the hood off to my friend Ames at Ames's finish line signs. She plans on having the hood ready for me to pick back up tomorrow night. I'll take pictures once I get it back on the car.

My other friend John Heyanka who is painting the parts got in touch with me last night and told me he is going to be keeping the parts a little longer. He is the type of guy that works everything to perfection and of course perfection takes time. He is going to have the parts back to me by next week. I'm really excited to see how they come out. Everything this guy paints looks like glass. Honestly, like nothing I've ever seen before. I hope that by next weekend I am out and about in my baby with the new front end.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Parts are officially painted and tomorrow I pick them up. As you can see in the pictures they came out awesome!!! Friday I pick up the hood from the vinyl shop and I can start putting the car back together which I'm sure will be a long process. Here are some pics of the parts before and after being sprayed.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:21 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Hi, it looks like you're doing a beautiful job! I do however have a question, with all the time and money invested to convert wouldn't it have been simpler to take the money and just buy a 997? Please, I'm not being critical I'm just wondering.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:22 AM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
Getting closer, awesome!

Old 06-18-2015, 06:33 AM
FLA, it wouldn't have been cheaper for me due to the fact that the money spent on this project still puts me under the value of a 997 (at least a nice one with low miles) but regardless I test drove a 997 when I was first looking to buy a car. I chose the 996 c4s because I found it fun to drive and I LOVE the rear end of the 996 over the 997. I picked this car intentions of putting the 997 GT3 front end on the car. In my eyes this makes the ultimate 911.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:34 AM
Atrox, I'm starting to see the light. I hope by the end of this weekend to have everything lined back up and fastened down.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:11 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Okay, makes sense.

Originally Posted by Porsche_Shiftin04
FLA, it wouldn't have been cheaper for me due to the fact that the money spent on this project still puts me under the value of a 997 (at least a nice one with low miles) but regardless I test drove a 997 when I was first looking to buy a car. I chose the 996 c4s because I found it fun to drive and I LOVE the rear end of the 996 over the 997. I picked this car intentions of putting the 997 GT3 front end on the car. In my eyes this makes the ultimate 911.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:49 AM
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I'm thinking this winter to maybe do a vortex supercharger as well. At that point I'll be over 500hp. Nothing more any other porsche can give me at that point.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:16 AM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
Looking good!

If you're considering a s/c; take your car back to stock, sell it and buy a 996 Turbo. For the cost/benefit, it's a better move going with a new car. Then swap your 997 front end on that.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:29 AM
Whiteout, I honestly would still rather have my car. My car has a huge sentimental meaning to me and there really is no price tag to the car for me. I used to have a 993 model car that I would play with as a child and would always tell my father that one day I would own a 911. My father would always say "well then you better do good in school". I went through a lot to finally be able to buy a Porsche and when the day finally came my father/best friend was right by my side.

We took a fairy to block island and met up with the owner. After signing all the paperwork my father and I was blasting down the highway together. My father put back the sunroof and you could see the excitement in his eyes. He must have told me a 100 times that trip how proud he was of me to accomplish my dreams. I will never get rid of this car unless I have no choice. This car to me symbolizes so much. So, as cost effective as something might be I would personally rather spend the extra money. The extra money doesn't come close to the value that memory and car is to me

Old 06-18-2015, 01:02 PM
Great story, now just be careful installing the panels frustration leads to scratches.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 996 to 997 conversion on my C4S