996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

thinking about buying a 2004 C4S...what should I watch out for?

Old 05-18-2015, 10:52 AM
pdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to behold
thinking about buying a 2004 C4S...what should I watch out for?

It's been a long time since I've posted here. I've moved through various brands of cars and find myself really liking the 996 C4S. I loved it 12 years ago when it came out and I had a 986 Boxster S. I love it still. There's a car in TX that has 61k miles and is a Tip. Looks pretty good. I'm definitely going to do a PPI and I have the following list to check:

1. RMS issues - how would I even know if this car had it or is prone to it? I never had this issue on my Boxster.

2. Service records

3. Carfax is clean

What other long term things should I be thinking about? It's a tip so I'm not as concerned about the transmission. I don't think you can Over-Rev a Tip but I could be wrong. What about the 4 wheel drive system? How solid are Porsche 4 wheel drive systems?

I understand normal maintenance on this type of car will be higher but I don't want to miss out on something catastrophic.

I'm getting super excited about getting this but I can pass if the potential issues out-weigh the fun. I'm looking to keep this long term and drive the hell out of it so I'll wait for a solid example. Thanks!

Old 05-18-2015, 11:15 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
See red items below.

Originally Posted by pdutta2000
It's been a long time since I've posted here. I've moved through various brands of cars and find myself really liking the 996 C4S. I loved it 12 years ago when it came out and I had a 986 Boxster S. I love it still. There's a car in TX that has 61k miles and is a Tip. Looks pretty good. I'm definitely going to do a PPI and I have the following list to check:

1. RMS issues - how would I even know if this car had it or is prone to it? I never had this issue on my Boxster.

Every Porsche is prone the rear main seal leaking, if the car has been driven and maintained with regular oil changes the RMS shouldn't be an issue, however eventually like all seals it could wear out. With 61K on the car if it's been maintained this lessens the IMS problem. Most problems with Porsche's are due to not driving them and not driving them as meant to be driven.

2. Service records

Yes make sure you get service records if you can, find out id the 60 services was done, last spark plug change, coolant flush etc...

3. Carfax is clean

What other long term things should I be thinking about? It's a tip so I'm not as concerned about the transmission. I don't think you can Over-Rev a Tip but I could be wrong. What about the 4 wheel drive system? How solid are Porsche 4 wheel drive systems?

The Tip is like a normal automatic transmission, you can shift it but it's just like shifting a regular automatic, as opposed to the PDK which uses a double clutch system and is true shifting when using the paddles. You can over rev any transmission if you don't shift. The AWD (it's not 4 wheel drive) is pretty solid, just check the fluids.

I understand normal maintenance on this type of car will be higher but I don't want to miss out on something catastrophic.

The PPI should point out any potential problems if it's done correctly.

Now you need to determine is the cost worth it to you.

I'm getting super excited about getting this but I can pass if the potential issues out-weigh the fun. I'm looking to keep this long term and drive the hell out of it so I'll wait for a solid example. Thanks!

Old 05-18-2015, 07:56 PM
Porsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enoughPorsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enough
The car may not have had a coolant flush. According to Porsche these systems should never have to be flushed.

I bought my car in 2010 and I haven't had to put a dime into the car other than regular maintenance. I drive the car only a few hundred miles a year and it starts at the turn of the key and rips on down the highway.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
You seem to have it pretty well covered. Personally, I wouldn't buy a 996 C4S without a new IMSB. If it hasn't been changed, then you should plan for it. Service records are a must. The water pumps in these cars tend to fail before 80,000 miles, so that's something that you want to consider also. I had to have my front differential rebuilt on my C4S. It's not common, but they do sometimes fail. Other than that, you will have normal wear and tear that will include: motor mounts, suspension bushings, etc.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:24 PM
kavalero is on a distinguished road
FLA996TT,

could you please elaborate on this, thanks.

Most problems with Porsche's are due to not driving them and not driving them as meant to be driven.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:12 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
I would Be happy to, or at least give an opinion

Let's start with the latter, Porsche's are meant to be driven, and driven hard, well compared to other cars. Going through the gears and bringing it to 4-6000 or 6500 rpm's will not hurt this engine, they like it. Going up to 2500 3000 and shifting might work but going up is what they were made for. I can drive around town and never get out of 3rd gear and do fine at 45mph, which by the way is 3000 rpm's. Most people use to high a gear on the highway as well. While shifting early and keeping the rpm's low won't necessarily "hurt" the engine it's not the intended scenario.

Now the former, "garage queens." Let's start this way, when I post this there be over 25 trillion responses to the contrary, about how "I only drive mine 500 miles a year and never had an issue," I know, I know.
Letting a car sit can can cause problems as well, engines are designed to run ( bet you didn't see that coming) because the oil while lubricating the engine also keeps the gaskets and seal conditioned, cars that sit will most often develope leaks at the RMS. The coolant also needs to run as it also keeps the hoses, water pump impeller and radiators conditioned. Here is another big issue people never think of, letting a car sit for long periods causes water to accumulate in the oil, hydrolic fluid and brake fluid, you need to run the car to bring it up to temp to get rid of that water, if you remove the oil filler cap and there is a gray slime on it that's an indication you have some water in the oil. BTW, this is common with all cars that sit or aren't used much. The engine and fluids need to move and come to tempature, so if you just use it to go a block here and there , that's bad as well. This is why when you see a car that's been used say 10-12000 miles a year with say 90k on the clock chances are the RMS and IMSB are original, will things wear out, you bet, but that's normal wear and tear, like any car, and in some cases poor design or factory quality, it just cost more for us.

When I bought mine it was a garage queen, so I had all the fluids chenged right away. One last thought, and this is going to open up a hornets nest so see this >>>>IMO<<<<< the oil cannot last one year or 12,000 miles, I don't care what anyone says. I change mine every 4-5000 miles just like my other cars.

Let the games begin, you'll get many responses to the above, but in you mind you have to decide what's right for your car and what you ar comfortable with.

Originally Posted by kavalero
FLA996TT,

could you please elaborate on this, thanks.

Most problems with Porsche's are due to not driving them and not driving them as meant to be driven.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Can read through some tech articles here to read up on some of the basic maintenance and issues that they're prone to. Keeping up on the maintenance and not neglecting the car will keep it lasting for a long while. Good luck!

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-22-2015, 12:21 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Can read through some tech articles here to read up on some of the basic maintenance and issues that they're prone to. Keeping up on the maintenance and not neglecting the car will keep it lasting for a long while. Good luck!

-Luccia
We bought our 2004 C4S almost two years ago with 106,000 miles. We now have 122,000 miles. Thus far I have replaced the coils, plugs, AOS, water pump, tires two times, head light switch and the convertible top. About $5,000 worth of stuff after buying it for $26,500. Right now I need to replace the drivers side door latch lock, the drink cup holder thingy, another oil change, get the wheels refinished an a 4 wheel alignment. It's a daily driver and long distance hauler. We never tracked this car or any DE events. We love our car, but they are not inexpensive to maintain. In the next few months or so we plan to get new shocks etc. We don't plan on selling this car, so we don't mind spending the money on it, but I'd like to warn others before you purchase one, the cost of entry is cheap but then the running cost will bite you in the pocket if you are not prepared to have cash to maintain these cars. I also do some things myself, oil change, brake fluid etc.

As far as every time I look out in my driveway or go for a spirited drive/ road trip, I smile! Life is to short to drive boring cars!

Old 05-23-2015, 07:33 AM
ejs1 is on a distinguished road
Bought mine last December for 28k. Ims, rms and clutch done by the previous owner. All receipts and service history since new. Car had 48k miles. It now sits at 52k miles and I have put maybe $5-6k into it. Mostly preventive maintenance and some performance mods just to keep it running like new. Car runs very well and feels super tight. Couldn't be happier. Plan to keep her forever and absolutely love the looks. Go for it! I personally think the 996 c4s is one of the best looking 911s of all time.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:40 AM
ejs1 is on a distinguished road
Just to add to my previous post...had the following replaced as preventive maintenance:
Engine oil and filter, tranny and front diff oil, all filters, serpentine belt, plugs and coils, engine mounts, water pump and low temp thermostat, Pss10 suspension, cv boots, brake pads+hw, brake fluid flush. So, if your car has no records or its time due any of the larger items mentioned, plan on appr $5k for repairs right out of the gate. Thanks

Last edited by ejs1; 05-23-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:23 PM
Valkuri is a jewel in the roughValkuri is a jewel in the roughValkuri is a jewel in the rough

I personally think the 996 c4s is one of the best looking 911s of all time.
Yes. Yes, it is.

I've had three (one a 993 C4S). I've been lucky; an alternator, a bunch of tires (get used to it), and little else among them. My current one, a 2003, had the engine pulled at 17,000 miles, nearly ten years before I bought it. IMS? Perhaps; perhaps not. Couldn't get more information, but: Glad I wasn't the owner at the time.
High performance automobile. Lots of technology, some of which has been superseded.
One must pay to play: But for my money, it's among the better cost:joy ratios available today. For the price of a loaded Toyota, or a basic Lexus: You own a classic automobile that will never, EVER be out of style. It is the button down shirt, tasseled loafer of sports cars.

Last edited by Valkuri; 05-23-2015 at 11:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-24-2015, 04:18 PM
thin_concrete is on a distinguished road
I'll second the 996 C4S as a great looking car in a family of some great designs. Here's mine that I picked up recently:

Name:  P-Car%201_zpsg4uzrv5m.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  218.4 KB

Old 05-25-2015, 11:24 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pdutta2000

2. Service records

3. Carfax is clean

My general reply to these types of questions is you need to be on the look out for any and every thing.

The car is just a used car so you should give it a thorough used car check out.

This includes learning what you can about the car's history, including service history and possibly any accidents or body/paint work.

Once you have id'd a good candidate car you need to get a good test ride then take the car out on a good test drive.

Do not dismiss the Tip as of being of no concern. Sometimes a Tip car comes up for sale because the Tip is acting up and maybe not that bad either but rather than face what could be an expensive Tip R&R the car is traded in or sold.

You have to experience the car as you intend to use it.

Afterwards you check out the car to make sure all systems work ok.

After this you have the car treated to a PPI.

Among other things this gets the car in the air and the tech can check for leaks, including the RMS. But there is the water pump, the camshaft covers, spark plug tubes, CV boots, tranny/diff and if a C4 don't forget about the front diff and CV boots. There is also the power steering system, the radiators, and so on.

In short, every o-ring, gasket, seal, plug or hose or hydraulic line fitting must be checked for any leak sign.

And if a leak found what it may mean. For instance, say the power steering rack is found with a "small" leak. This can rise from a failed high pressure relief valve that routes too high pressure fluid to the rack which forces the fluid out the rack seals. The fix is a new power steering pump, a new rack and the new valve. Not an inexpensive leak to fix.

My info is while it is difficult to overrev a Tip equipped car it can be done. Regardless of whether a Tip or a manual, as a general principle I'd want to see a full DME overrev read out just to help me get a feel for how the car was used and also to have the engine run time hours to let me do some kind of sanity check on the engine runtime vs. odometer reading.

My investigation into the AWD system -- because I have a 996 Turbo -- is it is pretty robust. 'course, problems can arise. My tech sources tell me that they replace if the unit is noisy. My Turbo's front diff axle flange seals were found to be leaking and I had these replaced and the diff fluid changed. What can possibly happen is if the front diff loses too much fluid this can result in damage.

As for other long term things, if you keep the car long enough, drive it enough, just about everything.

You can't avoid this unless you avoid driving the car and I don't think you want to buy a Porsche to not drive it.

So, all you can do is buy a good car, avoid paying too much for it, and take care of the car after you buy it. Take care of the regular service items and anything that "breaks" or wears out. Do not ignore or try to nurse say a leaking/or noisy water pump. Subject the car to regular inspections and if you spot or the tech spots a cracked CV boot get the car in right away to have this taken care of. The odds are high the CV bearings can be cleaned and if upon inspection are found ok repacked with grease and the axle reinstalled.

If a bit of fluid stain is noticed on the bottom of the car's plastic panels have this investigated.

If the power steering becomes noisy don't ignore this but check the fluid level. If low this can be the valve failing and over pressuring the rack. You may be able to salvage the pump but the rack is probably toast, although it might be rebuildable, as all that is "wrong" is the seals are compromised.

Keeping a nice used Porsche nice and on the road requires work. These are not buy, drive and forget cars. Their service needs are not onerous but these are not cars to buy with the idea they can be driven and put away wet and their basic care ignored.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:29 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Macster
My general reply to these types of questions is you need to be on the look out for any and every thing.

The car is just a used car so you should give it a thorough used car check out.

This includes learning what you can about the car's history, including service history and possibly any accidents or body/paint work.

Once you have id'd a good candidate car you need to get a good test ride then take the car out on a good test drive.

Do not dismiss the Tip as of being of no concern. Sometimes a Tip car comes up for sale because the Tip is acting up and maybe not that bad either but rather than face what could be an expensive Tip R&R the car is traded in or sold.

You have to experience the car as you intend to use it.

Afterwards you check out the car to make sure all systems work ok.

After this you have the car treated to a PPI.

Among other things this gets the car in the air and the tech can check for leaks, including the RMS. But there is the water pump, the camshaft covers, spark plug tubes, CV boots, tranny/diff and if a C4 don't forget about the front diff and CV boots. There is also the power steering system, the radiators, and so on.

In short, every o-ring, gasket, seal, plug or hose or hydraulic line fitting must be checked for any leak sign.

And if a leak found what it may mean. For instance, say the power steering rack is found with a "small" leak. This can rise from a failed high pressure relief valve that routes too high pressure fluid to the rack which forces the fluid out the rack seals. The fix is a new power steering pump, a new rack and the new valve. Not an inexpensive leak to fix.

My info is while it is difficult to overrev a Tip equipped car it can be done. Regardless of whether a Tip or a manual, as a general principle I'd want to see a full DME overrev read out just to help me get a feel for how the car was used and also to have the engine run time hours to let me do some kind of sanity check on the engine runtime vs. odometer reading.

My investigation into the AWD system -- because I have a 996 Turbo -- is it is pretty robust. 'course, problems can arise. My tech sources tell me that they replace if the unit is noisy. My Turbo's front diff axle flange seals were found to be leaking and I had these replaced and the diff fluid changed. What can possibly happen is if the front diff loses too much fluid this can result in damage.

As for other long term things, if you keep the car long enough, drive it enough, just about everything.

You can't avoid this unless you avoid driving the car and I don't think you want to buy a Porsche to not drive it.

So, all you can do is buy a good car, avoid paying too much for it, and take care of the car after you buy it. Take care of the regular service items and anything that "breaks" or wears out. Do not ignore or try to nurse say a leaking/or noisy water pump. Subject the car to regular inspections and if you spot or the tech spots a cracked CV boot get the car in right away to have this taken care of. The odds are high the CV bearings can be cleaned and if upon inspection are found ok repacked with grease and the axle reinstalled.

If a bit of fluid stain is noticed on the bottom of the car's plastic panels have this investigated.

If the power steering becomes noisy don't ignore this but check the fluid level. If low this can be the valve failing and over pressuring the rack. You may be able to salvage the pump but the rack is probably toast, although it might be rebuildable, as all that is "wrong" is the seals are compromised.

Keeping a nice used Porsche nice and on the road requires work. These are not buy, drive and forget cars. Their service needs are not onerous but these are not cars to buy with the idea they can be driven and put away wet and their basic care ignored.

+1 Best advise ever! Now happy hunting and get yourself that C4S. Now, please don't report back to us you changed your mind and bought something else. We gladly offer our expertise advise and opinions as owners. We certainly hope you found this information helpful in making your decision. I only say this because many times the question " Should I buy a Porsche " has been asked over and over again in this forum, and we spend time educating, consulting, making notes and offering advize only for someone to report they are now buying xyz car. God luck with your search and please post up with your purchase.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:18 AM
Valkuri is a jewel in the roughValkuri is a jewel in the roughValkuri is a jewel in the rough
We certainly hope you found this information helpful in making your decision. I only say this because many times the question " Should I buy a Porsche " has been asked over and over again in this forum, and we spend time educating, consulting, making notes and offering advize only for someone to report they are now buying xyz car. God luck with your search and please post up with your purchase.
Yes. It's a variant on the "If you have to ask the price..." theme.
If one regards buying a Porsche as a 'perhaps', based upon the possibility of repairs and inconvenience relative to other vehicles: Might I suggest a Crown Victoria? Spacious; sensible; parts are very affordable; one can probably get special insurance rates through AARP, as well.

Life is short. Buy the Porsche. You'll never hear anyone on their deathbed say,
"I should have bought a Prius when I had the chance..."

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: thinking about buying a 2004 C4S...what should I watch out for?