996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Goodbye 996 ( 997 GT3) and Hello 996 (991)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Peterpokerplane is on a distinguished road
Goodbye 996 ( 997 GT3) and Hello 996 (991)

I never thought I would be see the day that I would sell my yellow "GT3"...I have poured countless hours and dollars into her!

Before

During

During

After

Here's my new baby!

The new car has a fresh engine/transmission rebuild. Time to get busy on upgrades!

Old 06-20-2015, 03:52 PM
thin_concrete is on a distinguished road
Beautiful and congratulations! What's it like to drive one in comparison to the other?

Old 06-20-2015, 04:02 PM
They're the same year, both 2000! The only difference is the yellow one is Tiptronic coupe and the white one is 6 speed cab. They drive pretty much the same.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:17 AM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
very nice, but at the end of the day it's still a 996. I would at least upgrade to a 997 but that's just me. Enjoy the car with the top down before it get really hot here.

Last edited by MkC2S; 06-21-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:21 PM
thin_concrete is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Peterpokerplane
They're the same year, both 2000! The only difference is the yellow one is Tiptronic coupe and the white one is 6 speed cab. They drive pretty much the same.
Well - you fooled me and I thought the thread title was a typo. Why not sell both and move to a 997? Although the 996 is pretty awesome!

Old 06-21-2015, 09:18 PM
For some reason, I'm just fond of the 996 (except for the headlights!). I got a steal (relative to what's been spent on the car) on the new one, and I have receipts for over $15k for engine rebuilt/ims update and transmission rebuild less than 15k miles ago. I also like the accessibility and non can-bus simplicity of the car, so that I can work on it myself. I could have easily bought a 997, but it would have been at least $12k more before I start with the modifications. It doesn't seem worth it for an updated dash. (I have 997 seats coming tomorrow and I love my touchscreen radio.) I'm betting that this 996 is fully depreciated, and it's something I'm going to keep for a while. Plus, I need to use that extra money on my other projects. lol. I just started a full resto on a 79 10th Anniversary Trans-Am, and I still have to assemble my fully rebuilt/painted E30 convertible, and the rest of my cars. I also have plans to acquire a Delorean this coming year.

So, to sum up my rambling....I really love this new car and it's exactly what I was looking for.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:23 AM
dporto is on a distinguished road
What is the rear spoiler on the Yellow car? Do you have any more photo's of it? Both cars are very nice! Good luck with the new one

Old 06-22-2015, 07:51 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats, I saw this car on eBay and got relisted a couple times. I figured you probably got it for what the conversion would cost.

I particularly like this conversion as it's an all steel conversion. Enjoy!

Old 06-22-2015, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by dporto
What is the rear spoiler on the Yellow car? Do you have any more photo's of it? Both cars are very nice! Good luck with the new one
Thanks! Unfortunately, I never found out what kind of spoiler it is. I bought it off ebay and I've never found another one like it. I like it because the factory spoiler can still deploy and when it's raised up, it is almost level with the other spoiler, so it combines them into a super spoiler.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by alpine003
Congrats, I saw this car on eBay and got relisted a couple times. I figured you probably got it for what the conversion would cost.

I particularly like this conversion as it's an all steel conversion. Enjoy!
I ended up paying $22k for it. He was asking $24k. I tried to Buy It Now, but there was a glitch on ebay, so he ended up just relisting it for me. Between the new 991 bodykit (which is steel and also uses the 991 factory bumper and LED lights), new wheels/tires, Evom CAI, new Kenwood Bluetooth radio, and the mechanical rebuilds, I think I easily got the car for free. I flew out to LA and drove her back to Dallas. I couldn't be happier with this purchase. I've already started the daily delivery of parts/upgrades for her. lol.

Last edited by Peterpokerplane; 06-22-2015 at 08:38 AM. Reason: added detail
Old 06-22-2015, 09:35 AM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
Can you get some more photos, looks great I would like to see the back, and some close ups. Car looks great congrats.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:45 AM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
The thread title make much more sense now.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:08 AM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Peterpokerplane
I never thought I would be see the day that I would sell my yellow "GT3"...I have poured countless hours and dollars into her! Before During During After Here's my new baby! The new car has a fresh engine/transmission rebuild. Time to get busy on upgrades!
Very nice! What the rear spoiler on your cab? I'm in the process of deciding on one now.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Atrox
Can you get some more photos, looks great I would like to see the back, and some close ups. Car looks great congrats.
The rear end is pretty much stock except for the spoiler and the 997 LED taillights that I installed. I'm actually in the market for a 997 GT3 type rear bumper as we speak. I'll grab some pictures as soon as I can.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:17 PM
Former Vendor
BlackMarketRacing will become famous soon enoughBlackMarketRacing will become famous soon enough
Awesome! You did a great job on the last build, I look forward to seeing what you do with this one too!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Goodbye 996 ( 997 GT3) and Hello 996 (991)