996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Rear hood struts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 08:33 AM
charha01 can only hope to improve
Rear hood struts

Has anyone found a good source for replacement rear hood struts (for the engine compartment cover)? I believe that the factory units where made by Stabilus for my 2003 C4S, but I'm finding it difficult to find replacements (mine don't hold up the hood any longer). I did find these, which look like "factory" replacements (http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...de=996exttrC4S ), but I was wondering if anyone knows of another source?

Thanks

Old 07-06-2015, 08:49 AM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
Old 07-06-2015, 05:53 PM
SpeedYeller is on a distinguished road
+1 on Pelican...

Old 07-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
You'll need two struts for your C4S, so buying them at Pelican Parts will save you $2.50 based on the prices in the links above. You may want to check the difference in shipping to determine which one is less expensive overall.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by MkC2S
Problem with this link is it is for the front "hood", not the rear. That's the issue I'm finding is that no one seems to carry the rear one except for Suncoast. Has anyone else found any?

Old 07-08-2015, 12:58 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by charha01
Problem with this link is it is for the front "hood", not the rear. That's the issue I'm finding is that no one seems to carry the rear one except for Suncoast. Has anyone else found any?
Believe you're needing the deck lid shocks, which can be found here.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-10-2015, 08:28 AM
Does anyone know if there's anything "special" about these struts that would require that I use this exact model number? The cost for the single strut design is much less (per strut) than the dual strut design. I'm guessing that two struts are required due to the weight of the cover they are lifting, so I'm wondering if I was to just order two of the struts that are designed to act alone (i.e. the C2 setup) would that accomplish the same goal? Or... would it be too much force and either fling the cover open too quickly or not allow it to close. Thanks for the help...

Old 07-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by charha01
Does anyone know if there's anything "special" about these struts that would require that I use this exact model number? The cost for the single strut design is much less (per strut) than the dual strut design. I'm guessing that two struts are required due to the weight of the cover they are lifting, so I'm wondering if I was to just order two of the struts that are designed to act alone (i.e. the C2 setup) would that accomplish the same goal? Or... would it be too much force and either fling the cover open too quickly or not allow it to close. Thanks for the help...
According to PET, the part number for the Carrera and C4S is different. I am not 100% sure, but I believe you will need to get part # 996-512-551-04 and not 996-512-551-03 (which is for Carrera not C4S). The C4S requires 2 whereas the Carrera only needs 1.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-11-2015, 08:36 AM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Whatever you do don't buy the Cheap TUFF branded ones, I got Front Hood Struts from Pelican and one lasted couple of Months before it broke, second one just over a year. I put my Original half dead ones back in for the time being...

Old 07-12-2015, 10:03 AM
KoB
KoB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Zookie
Whatever you do don't buy the Cheap TUFF branded ones, I got Front Hood Struts from Pelican and one lasted couple of Months before it broke, second one just over a year. I put my Original half dead ones back in for the time being...
+1 ... Stabilus struts are definitely the way to go. I put in a trunk liner (Das Schild) and the extra weight was just enough to overwhelm my probably-15-year-old struts. I got a pair of Stabilus struts from Pelican. Now I pop the trunk, release the safety catch, and the lid opens itself. Good stuff.