996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Pricing question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 11:51 PM
Jeremy Boatman is on a distinguished road
Pricing question

I'll admit, I struggle to accurately price for sale items that are dear to me. I'm selling my 996 C4 and; although I've posted to Craigslist and Autotrader, I haven't had much luck. I thought maybe I could get the opinion of the other owners here.

A little background on my pricing. I arrived at this price based on edmunds and my time spent browsing inventory.

Help please.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5096574330.html

Old 07-18-2015, 10:43 AM
KoB
KoB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jeremy Boatman
I'll admit, I struggle to accurately price for sale items that are dear to me. I'm selling my 996 C4 and; although I've posted to Craigslist and Autotrader, I haven't had much luck. I thought maybe I could get the opinion of the other owners here. A little background on my pricing. I arrived at this price based on edmunds and my time spent browsing inventory. Help please. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5096574330.html
Seems like a tough sell to me ... Tiptronic and cab both limit appeal -- for example, I own a cab but wouldn't be caught dead with a Tip. Conversely, there are a lot of 996 buyers who would never consider a cab. The wood accents may not help, either, as I suspect they'll turn away some prospective buyers.

In your ad, don't overlook the basics. 996 buyers want to know if the IMS bearing has been replaced, as well as RMS, AOS, and the other usual wear items (coolant tank, water pump, etc. ). Basically, you want to emphasize anything they won't have to do after they buy the car.

I don't know much about the market in San Diego, but my gut sense is that your asking price is a little too high.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:56 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Your car is in good shape and the price is fair. Your car is different which means it's going to take someone who likes the wood and cab/tip combo. If that car were here in Florida it would have already been sold at that price as cab/tip combo sells well here, we call the beach cruiserd. Your area may have an overload of Prosches on the market, not so much here.Can't speak to the cab/tip opinion already expressed. I would say get it on as many sites as poosible, try ebay. Since you don't have to sell time is on your side so be patient.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:05 AM
Jeremy Boatman is on a distinguished road
Thanks so much

It takes time to review and reply and it's greatly appreciated. You're right...it's a different car for sure. I'll be patient and probably try EBay as well. Thanks all!

Old 07-18-2015, 02:40 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Jeremy Boatman
I'll admit, I struggle to accurately price for sale items that are dear to me. I'm selling my 996 C4 and; although I've posted to Craigslist and Autotrader, I haven't had much luck. I thought maybe I could get the opinion of the other owners here.

A little background on my pricing. I arrived at this price based on edmunds and my time spent browsing inventory.

Help please.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5096574330.html
Be patient. You'll get two or three buyers all at the same time stumbling over this car. It's beautiful. I would not go below $27,000 if you did make any price adjustments on it though. As someone stated before here in Florida that car would have been gone already, but you're not here, so you'll have to wait for your market to adjust. Did you check the ebay/auto trader sold listings. This is like doing comps on a house. You need some real world sold figures in the last 6 months. It will sell for sure, the low miles, condition etc, and also mention IMS/RMS as well as any other recent maintenance. It's great you have the original stick, manual etc. GLWS

Old 07-19-2015, 12:43 AM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
Couldn't really tell from the pics, but is a turbo rear lid/spoiler. Honestly you will probably have better luck posting here and on rennlist. The people who know these cars will appreciate it. Pricing sea fair but, I wpuldnt turn down a cash offer of $25,000. Wood trim is a tough sale, but there are people who like it. Be paitent the right buyer will come along.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:34 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
As others said, $29k seems a bit optimistic but still fair in the retail world. If you want it sold faster, dropping it a bit could help.

From a psychological perspective, most buyers willing to pay top dollar for a model will want options exactly to their taste. And as others mentioned, the wood trim,wheel, spoiler combo could limit the buyer pool.

Your ad is definitely good but you should mention if the IMS, AOS, Water pump, Spark Plugs have been taken care of or not just so you don't have to respond on the same things over and over to various inquires. Also I don't remember seeing anything on the condition and brand of tires.

It's a shame that some people base their buying decision in an IMS replacement so it maybe worthwhile to offer credit for that procedure from the asking price to make it more appealing.

GLWS, as in real estate, you only need that one buyer. It all depends on how long you're willing to sit on it.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:24 PM
feroz928 is on a distinguished road
The car looks terrific and the mileage is reasonable considering the age of the vehicle. The market is soft right now, so don't look for clients to be beating down your door. If your looking for a quick sale, then my guess is that you'll need to drop your price substantially. If your not in a rush, I believe you will sell it to the right buyer. Good luck

Old 07-23-2015, 09:20 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
I agree with the above comments. For me, I would like to be wow'd. I scroll through many photos but stop when I see something visually appealing before I click to read the details. For guys out there who date online- you scroll through a ton of ladies before reading the features and mileage.

My recommendation is to post stellar pics. No distracting backgrounds of your bike or garage; driveway to make it look like a yard sale. Your car is clean and has unique features. It deserves attention. Check this thread out, another gent getting ready to sell his car. Great feedback from folks.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...6tt-shoot.html

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2015, 04:23 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porschemama
For guys out there who date online- you scroll through a ton of ladies before reading the features and mileage.

Good luck!
How dare you stereotype all of us guys!!! I'll have you know that I belong to eHarmony and Christian Mingle and read their 300 word essay first. In fact I checkmark the filter to show the ones that don't include a pic.

The only time I check strictly for pics is on Tinder. LOL

Old 08-05-2015, 05:53 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by alpine003
How dare you stereotype all of us guys!!! I'll have you know that I belong to eHarmony and Christian Mingle and read their 300 word essay first. In fact I checkmark the filter to show the ones that don't include a pic.

The only time I check strictly for pics is on Tinder. LOL
Haha! I literally laughed out loud on the train. You are going to get me kicked out of the quiet cab. But you get my point.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:33 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by porschemama
Haha! I literally laughed out loud on the train. You are going to get me kicked out of the quiet cab. But you get my point.

Hahahaha you all are cracking me up. On another note if the OP has not sold this car by now, it's the price.