996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 A good car to "get into" stuff like this?

Old 07-19-2015, 01:47 PM
sdanaher is on a distinguished road
996 A good car to "get into" stuff like this?

I've been wanting to get into keeping a non-daily car, for fun, learning to maintain it, and enjoy it for a while...

Somehow landed on this model as a potential target based on current pricing, performance, and research on ease to maintain.

I've read quite a bit, but always curious of current thoughts on the question at hand...

Is this a car you'd recommend to someone willing to spend the $$ on maintaining and enjoy it a few days a month, else garaged? Maybe the occasional track day, spirited sunday driving... etc.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:49 PM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
Theses cars aren't money pits, find a good one and enjoy it.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:40 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sdanaher
Is this a car you'd recommend to someone willing to spend the $$ on maintaining and enjoy it a few days a month, else garaged? Maybe the occasional track day, spirited sunday driving... etc.
Absolutely. This would be THE car I would recommend to those types. I consider this to be the best bang for the buck sports car of the decade.

However, I would caution those that's driven Honda/Toyotas their entire lives as the pricing/maintenance/expectations could be radically different when owning/maintaining a Porsche.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:27 AM
sdanaher is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at a 1999-2000 Carrera, the prices seem so great on some decent ones. Need to check them out obviously.

Not "concerned" about the maintenance costs as I've been driving BMWs (and recently a Mercedes) the last 10 years.. currently have a 2015 M235i Convertible and 2013 GL450 in the garage.

Now to just find the right one...

Old 07-20-2015, 11:45 AM
khiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond repute
I wish you well on this journey, this is how I started mine as well about two years ago. I found a base 2002 911 with low-ish miles (50k) and drove the heck out of it. I have two kids and I wasn't sure how they would react to the occasional back seat usage; they and I loved the car! The best part is that it wasn't a garage queen and I felt free to drive it anywhere and everywhere

My GX460 took on less than 5,000 miles that first year. I rarely drove it! HaHa

Yes, it is more expensive to maintain than a Honda, but I really only had wear items, nothing "broke" like my M5 . . . Get a PPI and drive it, the 911 is a great platform to enjoy the drive, KH

Last edited by khiroshima; 07-28-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:16 PM
cinellipro is on a distinguished road
I would definitely recommend purchasing the "best" 996 you can afford and for the following reasons. First and foremost, the Achilles heel in these cars seems to have been resolved. Like other previous 911 mechanical design flaws of the past, like chain tensioners, valve guide wear, head gasket materials, the IMS bearing is now either a maintenance item to be changed when other engine removal service is needed, or as a permanent fix item. If the car you plan to purchase has not had the IMSB replaced get it done. Everything else seems to be comparable with other 911 variants ownership. The rest of the mechanical problems you may read about are dealt with like all previous 911 generations and that is as a repair or upgrade.
Regarding the driving experience, when compared to the previous generation, the 996 has more horsepower, better suspension, more amenities and in my opinion a working air conditioner. Regarding the aesthetics, fried eggs or the copied from the turbo model types due to “Porschefiles” pressure is irrelevant. Early 996s had fewer options, fewer electronics, light weight and a closer-to-the-past driving experience. The later models had more horsepower, many upgrades, nicer amenities, and chassis improvements.
Regarding the current value of these cars, which is also part of the Porsche ownership experience. The 996s are the most underrated and undervalued 911s. We can happily thank the internet for the devalued prices, but we must also thank the internet in part for sparking the inspiration of re-engineering the IMS bearing within the aftermarket. That has allowed 996 owners and potential owners to start looking forward. Interestingly, if you look back at the IMSB related postings in the various Porsche forums you will notice the quantity of posts have dropped precipitously, and we can assume it is due to a greater awareness and proactive efforts by owners to install the newly designed IMSB. Admittedly, unlike the turbo, GT2 or GT3 variants the 996 will not shoot through the roof in price, but now that the IMSB issue is a problem of the past, I predict we will start seeing values slowly increase. The 996s place is still in transition between being a used cars and a classic Porsche. That being said, now is the time to purchase a 996 before prices start going up.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:06 PM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
Great car for the money

As previously stated do a PPI at a Porsche dealership.
I live in NY did a PPI in California, car had major issues. Almost wasted $28k.
I Purchased a 2003 996 C2 43k miles, in Knoxville, tn.
Could not be happier!
When selecting mileage too low, Garage Queen, is not good, too many miles, brings on more maintaince that needs to be done.
2002 and up, 3.6L is IMO a better performing motor.
45k- 60k for mileage is about right.
My car had a 5 page Carfax, every oil change, tire rotation etc performed by Porsche dealership.
Look for history, if car does not have records proceed with extreme caution, IMO anything without records is a Red flag.
Good luck!!

Old 07-28-2015, 07:12 PM
khiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NYoutftr
2002 and up, 3.6L is IMO a better performing motor.

Good luck!!
+1
Oh, right, this is correct as well, I narrowed to 2002+ when I was in the market, just for this reason-- KH

Old 07-30-2015, 01:27 AM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cinellipro
I would definitely recommend purchasing the "best" 996 you can afford and for the following reasons. First and foremost, the Achilles heel in these cars seems to have been resolved. Like other previous 911 mechanical design flaws of the past, like chain tensioners, valve guide wear, head gasket materials, the IMS bearing is now either a maintenance item to be changed when other engine removal service is needed, or as a permanent fix item. If the car you plan to purchase has not had the IMSB replaced get it done. Everything else seems to be comparable with other 911 variants ownership. The rest of the mechanical problems you may read about are dealt with like all previous 911 generations and that is as a repair or upgrade.
Regarding the driving experience, when compared to the previous generation, the 996 has more horsepower, better suspension, more amenities and in my opinion a working air conditioner. Regarding the aesthetics, fried eggs or the copied from the turbo model types due to “Porschefiles” pressure is irrelevant. Early 996s had fewer options, fewer electronics, light weight and a closer-to-the-past driving experience. The later models had more horsepower, many upgrades, nicer amenities, and chassis improvements.
Regarding the current value of these cars, which is also part of the Porsche ownership experience. The 996s are the most underrated and undervalued 911s. We can happily thank the internet for the devalued prices, but we must also thank the internet in part for sparking the inspiration of re-engineering the IMS bearing within the aftermarket. That has allowed 996 owners and potential owners to start looking forward. Interestingly, if you look back at the IMSB related postings in the various Porsche forums you will notice the quantity of posts have dropped precipitously, and we can assume it is due to a greater awareness and proactive efforts by owners to install the newly designed IMSB. Admittedly, unlike the turbo, GT2 or GT3 variants the 996 will not shoot through the roof in price, but now that the IMSB issue is a problem of the past, I predict we will start seeing values slowly increase. The 996s place is still in transition between being a used cars and a classic Porsche. That being said, now is the time to purchase a 996 before prices start going up.

+1* Best reply ever !

Old 08-04-2015, 06:56 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
The 996 is a great first Porsche. It was my first one, I bought a 2003 C2 in 2007 when it had 30k miles so it was still pretty new. It cost me next to nothing to own (except mods) and was easy to work on if you are so inclined. I still tell everyone it was my favorite car of all time. Really good balance between the older minimalist ones and the heavier new luxury GT's. It's not the fastest, but it's plenty quick enough and when you get the rpm's up it screams like a 911 should. It's light for a modern 911 so is really fun to drive on curvy roads.

I've has faster and more luxurious cars, but this is the one I liked the best. I'll get another one someday.

Last edited by deckman; 08-04-2015 at 07:26 AM.