996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Convertible top problems??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 05:20 PM
Rambleroffditopic is on a distinguished road
Convertible top problems??

Went to put the top down the other day aND had some problems. Windows went down fine, and that metal panel came up so the top could go down, but the top didn't go down. The latch on the inside was unhooked like it should have been, but the top wouldn't go down, so I said better get home and tried to reverse the procedure to lock the panel down etc. Well, the panel went back down, but half way the latch would latch, then unlatch and the panel would proceed down all the way as well as the latch. Then the latch would keep latching/unlatching, and the light is still on on the dash, so it won't allow me to roll up the two back windows, I am stuck, don't know what to do or even where to begin. Dad said it could be a sensor or something out of wack and that we have the computer to clear the codes etc.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:08 PM
tdream1 is on a distinguished road
There are a bunch of micro switches that need to be triggered in the right sequence for the top hook to latch. If you do a search, there is a thread about this and how to try to fool the switch by pressing it with a pen or something.

This actually happened to me they day I took delivery of my '03. The dealer came and picked up the car and had the Porsche dealership replace some parts.

I wish I had a better answer for you. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2015, 10:21 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
Have u checked the hydraulic fluid

Old 08-17-2015, 11:18 AM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
Here's and older thread where I helped. Check that and send PM if need more tips
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...p-problem.html