996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Worsening front end clunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 06:24 PM
rfb
rfb is on a distinguished road
Worsening front end clunk

Started out as a metallic clunk during near full lock right hand turns. First noticed during an autox heat. Only noticed occasionally, but sounded almost like a broken spring "tinging" The sound seems to be coming from the drivers side.

After the right turn clunk, if I would stay stationary and turn the wheel almost all the way to the left, it would clunk back over. I cannot get it to clunk stationary unless I "load it up" by making a tight quick right turn. I also can't see any loose parts as it makes the noise.

After inspection of all front end parts, nothing looked worn or loose.

Ordered a drivers lower control arm as it was original and had a torn ball joint Boot.

Replaced control arm with no change.

Replaced upper strut mount bearings with no change. (mounts look perfect)

Replaced both inner and outer tie rods and installed ksport coilovers. With no change.

Removed sway bar end links. Absolutely no change.

Attempted to autox this morning. Seems to be making even more noise around each turn. Every clunk can be heard as well as felt through the steering wheel.

I've read about every front end clunk thread on the forums. It seems to make the same noise cold or warm and consistently bad.

Anyone have any ideas? I ordered a used power steering rack and will attempt to replace mine.

After the tie rod install, I had the rear high pressure power steering line blow. It was leaking through a pin hole in a straight section. Replaced with a used part, doesn't leak Now.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:32 PM
rfb
Should also mention 2000 c2 factory aero. 91,000 miles new to me, really only driven to a half dozen autoxs this summer.

Here's a pic, just for fun

Old 08-16-2015, 08:09 AM
dporto is on a distinguished road
Have you tried with someone else outside the car looking/listening? It seems to me, that it shouldn't be too hard to find from outside, but nearly impossible from inside - there's to much sound transferred to other parts to pinpoint it.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:14 AM
rfb
Yes, I have had other people turn the wheel after it is "loaded up." i cant pinpoint the sound through vision or feel. That is why i believe it could be the steering rack. however, it doesn't make the noise otherwise unless it is moving.

I have been fighting this noise for a few months, have inspected everything multiple times and have been replacing parts to no avail.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:03 PM
dan_189 is on a distinguished road
I have the same noise on full/almost full lock only when im reversing unto my garage. Dealer says it's a normal noise but im not convinced. Have you checked your wheels offset as the tyre might be hitting the spring perch that's where my noise comes from

Old 08-16-2015, 06:07 PM
rfb
BOth sets of my wheels had clearance to the factory spring perch. The coilover suspension, makes even more clearance. I couldn't see that as the same issue for me.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:08 PM
dan_189 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rfb
BOth sets of my wheels had clearance to the factory spring perch. The coilover suspension, makes even more clearance. I couldn't see that as the same issue for me.
Ahh right, I have 997 Carrera 3 rims and the offset is slightly wrong so I need some spacers or 996 rims.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:32 PM
rfb
Thanks for the suggestion. I have considered tires rubbing fender liners. But it is way too much of a metal on metal sound and I should clearly be able to see that.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Check for movement of the front spring. If there is any play in there, they will snap around under certain conditions yet everything will look fine under inspection. I discovered this issue when I went to Tarret strut mounts. If you have OEM mounts, the little dimple that is supposed to stop the movement may not be doing so.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:08 PM
rfb
I can look into it, but it seems very unlikely as it has occurred identically with two different shock /spring combinations.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:31 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Based on everything you already replaced, signs are pointing to the steering rack.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:36 PM
rfb
I will update when I receive my steering rack. Just thought I'd post to see if anyone else had the same issue.

Anyone have any tips for steering rack replacement? Hoping I don't have to drop the aluminum frame under the rack.(and all the associated suspension parts )

Old 08-17-2015, 04:38 PM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by rfb
I will update when I receive my steering rack. Just thought I'd post to see if anyone else had the same issue.

Anyone have any tips for steering rack replacement? Hoping I don't have to drop the aluminum frame under the rack.(and all the associated suspension parts )
Hope this helps.

http://youtu.be/hux78ZoPcAI

Old 08-17-2015, 04:55 PM
rfb
Thanks for the link. However that is a good tutorial for removing the steering wheel, not so much for the steering rack.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:06 PM
rfb
Update:

Replaced power steering rack with a used part. Makes exactly the same noise at exactly the same times.

Only thing that hasn't been replaced on drivers side is the forward link. Seems unlikely the issue as it should not move during any steering motion.

Anyone have any other ideas?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Worsening front end clunk