996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Particles in Oil Filter (Non-metallic)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 11:15 AM
Foxy is on a distinguished road
Particles in Oil Filter (Non-metallic)

Did an oil change today at 52,500 miles (I'm doing 7,500 mile oil change intervals). I pulled out the filter, and let it fall into the oil catch pan while the oil was draining from the sump.

While tidying everything up afterwards, I found that the filter had a lot of small particles in the pleats. The particles are non-metallic - at least, they don't stick to a magnet, and they feel for all the world like rock/ceramic.

I'm hoping - hoping! - that the drain pain had some grit and stuff collected in it, and as the filter lay in the oil, a lot of the particles got caught up in the filter. However, the particles all look very consistently the same material, and they're embedded deep into the pleats. Anyone know what this might be?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5584.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	673.9 KB
ID:	426111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5580.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	585.9 KB
ID:	426112  
Old 08-16-2015, 08:21 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
It's hard to say from the photos, but my guess is that you're seeing pieces of the polymer chain guides. This isn't uncommon, and it's most likely not an issue.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:20 AM
Foxy is on a distinguished road
Thanks Dennis - will be researching that. Appreciate the lead!

Old 08-20-2015, 10:32 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Foxy
Thanks Dennis - will be researching that. Appreciate the lead!
Agree with Dennis: composite plastic chain guide/rail covering.

A small piece can break off and after going through a scavenge pump and the high pressure oil pump get ground into a lot of fine pieces.

Probably not a problem unless you start to hear cam chain noise and a drop of the oil filter housing finds more of the stuff in the filter and in the housing oil. Be sure you dump the filter and oil into a *clean* drain pan if you want to have a look.