996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New Member - 996 in Chicago

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 10:07 PM
Enemy is on a distinguished road
Today was a good day.

I went in to attack what I thought were bad front wheel bearings, and discovered that the noise was my rotor rubbing on the heat/debris shield there. Looks like the rotor is warped because it looks like it wobbles slightly when I spin it by hand. Anyway, I tried to bend the shield out of the way but wasn't very successful. I ended up cutting off a small piece from the bottom, near the ball joint. Noise is completely gone. I removed the the spindle and took it to have a new bearing replaced anyway. This is on the front left. I'll get around to the front right bearing next weekend since I ran out of time. Took the car for a spin. Smooth and quiet, just how I like.

I also added the RSD AUX cable and some white LED side marker bulbs. Ordered LED tuns signals in an amber/white switchback config, and also some bright white 55w halogen bulbs. This should do for now.

I need to find a headlight solution. What is best? Buying some used Litronics, custom retrofit, or the LED things from eBay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Headligh...0622d1&vxp=mtr

Old 09-27-2015, 04:59 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
LED things on ebay look very nice. Saw them in person and I was impressed with the fit, finish and quality. Looks like an OEM update.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:48 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Enemy
I need to find a headlight solution. What is best? Buying some used Litronics, custom retrofit, or the LED things from eBay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Headligh...0622d1&vxp=mtr
IMO, OEM Litronics are better unless you're strictly going for the style and/or DRL LED's.

The eBay ones uses a cheap projector and the plastic lenses are on the thin side and won't be able to survive a hail storm or rock chips from Semi's.

I was thinking of selling my OEM Litronics if interested. You're local so it would be easy.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:25 PM
Here are two pics from yesterday.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:08 AM
dporto is on a distinguished road
Here are two pics from yesterday.

Bend that license plate a little "your gonna like the way it looks..."

Old 10-03-2015, 11:34 AM
Haha, yes. It looks fine from the front, but then severely awkward from certain angles. I thought about bending it some. Just need to get around to it.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:30 PM
A huge thanks goes out to alpine003 for hooking me up with a great set of Litronics for my car.

Real nice dude and great person to deal with. The headlights took 5min to swap out but we killed a whole hour just standing there talking. Thanks again!

Pardon the bad pics, and dirty car
Name:  ZLh7eNI.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  196.3 KB

Old 10-04-2015, 07:46 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
It was great meeting Enemy too, who was a cool guy. His car has come a long way and looks great in person. These pics do not do it justice.

I'm sure you can actually see something at night now with these vs the burnt lenses you had. You also reminded me that I need to get off my a$$ and do the rear Euro bumper conversion too.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:31 AM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
That's what this forum is about, 996 owners / friends
I am not aware of another 996 owner in Tioga County NY, only one I think.
Our local PCA Central New York Chapter is pretty spread out.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Indeed. It's nice when you can meet locals. Especially nice when they/we help each other out.

I'm super happy about these litronics. Road visibility at night is... well, night and day. The car just looks so much better with the litronics on there, even when they're off.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:35 AM
Indeed. It's nice when you can meet locals. Especially nice when they/we help each other out.

I'm super happy about these litronics. Road visibility at night is... well, night and day. The car just looks so much better with the litronics on there, even when they're off.
Great to hear they're working out good for you. These are the kind of items that's easy(easier) to justify to the wife since it's really a "safety" issue. Lol

Old 10-06-2015, 08:30 AM
I used to have that "wife" problem. It went away like two years ago

Old 10-24-2015, 04:14 PM
Today was a good day.

New front wheel bearings, rotor backing plates, rotors, pads, and end links.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.