996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Upgrades Review - Fabspeed, Underdrive Pulley, IPD Plenum, etc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 09:37 PM
mack73 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Back in the late 1970s when I had a small block camaro drag car. One of the modifications to the motor was a new product moroso came out with. A 50% under drive pulley cut on lathe from aluminum. Great item. But if you were to run on street, you needed to increase cooling capacity by a lot.
Did you or anyone else who has installed a under drive pulley on 996 experience cooling issues?
I was worried about it, so I investigated and found center radiator Kit from suncoast @ $700
I never thought about charging issues with smaller pulley.
Hopefully folks who have had them for a while can ring in on this.
Thanks for the detail about grinding, I don't like the idea of it though.
I can't find the post now, but I believe on Rennlist Jake Raby made a comment to the effect that, the m96 can have cavitation issues and slowing it down wouldn't be a bad thing

Hopefully someone else can add more detail or has a link

Old 11-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Relegate is on a distinguished road
I haven't had cooling issues on the street yet and we've done some very hard driving all 2nd-3rd gear, 4500-7k, 40 minute stints with undulating roads. I don't believe the pulley difference is 50%, maybe 20-30%. I have a lower temp thermostat which helps a little, a new water pump and I run water wetter. I also have a body kit (GT2 Style) that has massive openings for the radiators, but probably makes little difference in the real world.

I did add the FVD T-Body. The car feels good but the AOS is going... going... almost gone so that is being replaced soon with a Motorsports AOS.

Still waiting on the tune, but wanted to get the AOS sorted first.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:02 PM
NY_Swede is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Relegate
I haven't had cooling issues on the street yet and we've done some very hard driving all 2nd-3rd gear, 4500-7k, 40 minute stints with undulating roads. I don't believe the pulley difference is 50%, maybe 20-30%. I have a lower temp thermostat which helps a little, a new water pump and I run water wetter. I also have a body kit (GT2 Style) that has massive openings for the radiators, but probably makes little difference in the real world.

Still waiting on the tune, but wanted to get the AOS sorted first.
I'm looking at doing a pulley, as i'm changing out my water pump / low-temp T-stat. What brand pulley did you use?

Old 12-16-2015, 09:21 AM
RSS-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252021980404

This the kit I bought and the same price.

I used a dremel for the locator post that needs to be cut down, but I think an angle grinder would have been faster and easier. It might be better to get to it from under the motor... not really sure, but it just took patience.

I did have one charging issue, and I don't run a battery tender and my battery is not new and not an AGM or anything special. I now have a battery tender. It was basically idling in traffic with my stereo on, wipers, headlights, etc at a Porsche event in philly a couple of weeks ago. It failed to restart. When it's not idling (being driven), no problem. I also run 245's on the front and I do notice an increase in steering effort but nothing to complain about.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Relegate,
My wife and I own a few e-commerce stores that retail boots, nowadays, price sells the first time, but if you want repeat buyers, folks like Fabspeed, Evolution Motorsport or Bydesign Sam, all step up to the plate.
I recently purchased a Trans mount from a very large performance shop and the customer service was not nice, it was my first and last purchase.
(I won't identify, not my style)
I have a small clothing brand and we always do our best to exceed customer expectations. You can only buy our items through our site, but there are other brands taking market share, but often our customers return because of our quality and service. I like shopping with companies who understand this as well.

I recently bought the Tarret Swaybar/endlink kit through Fabspeed as well. Similar positive experiences. Now, if they only sold wheels I could afford.

PM about your business, would love to share insights and experiences.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:40 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
I have a small clothing brand and we always do our best to exceed customer expectations. You can only buy our items through our site, but there are other brands taking market share, but often our customers return because of our quality and service. I like shopping with companies who understand this as well.

I recently bought the Tarret Swaybar/endlink kit through Fabspeed as well. Similar positive experiences. Now, if they only sold wheels I could afford.

PM about your business, would love to share insights and experiences.
Thank you for the love, it's always a pleasure making friends with customers. We're working on expanding our wheel offering, if you ever see something out there you desire, reach out to us for pricing.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:22 PM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
Question

When you install a new underdrive pulley, are you also suppose to put a new crankshaft seal on?

Old 01-07-2016, 06:39 PM
I guess you COULD... but I certainly didn't and don't think my car needed it. And it's only 10 minutes to get to that again if you need to in the future. I did cover the seal when I was grinding. Blue tape would work great covering the seal if you were concerned.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:53 PM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
OK thanks

Old 01-07-2016, 10:27 PM
gsieck will become famous soon enough
I've got a 1999 996 as well and have done everything you outlined here, except I put the Fabspeed cup intake on instead of the EVOMS. I have also installed PSSp Bilstein coil overs and dropped the car almost 2" which makes a big difference.

I highly recommend putting in a lightweight flywheel the next time you do a clutch. You get a little gear chatter at idle, but the engine spools MUCH quicker.

Great write-up!

G

Old 01-11-2016, 08:34 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
I can't do the 82mm because I'm cable drive. Considered the FVD 77mm t body. Might get it to get it.

Haven't noticed cooling issues but it's pretty cool out these days and I'm just dd it with some back roads where possible. Previous owner put a lower temp thermostat in (Southern California).
The cable Tb can only be bored 2.4mm or something like that...the same size fvd has.
You can get yours bored from maxbore in FL. He does great work and pretty cheap

Old 02-05-2016, 08:59 AM
gsieck
How do you like the lightweight flywheel.
Lately there have been some posts about crankshaft damage, and it is scaring the heck out of me.
I have a complete center balanced kit from Patrick Motorsports waiting to get installed.
How bad is the gear chatter?
Is the theory correct, faster reving = faster acceleration?

Old 02-05-2016, 02:26 PM
Sleek996 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=NYoutftr;4467356]
Lately there have been some posts about crankshaft damage, and it is scaring the heck out of me.QUOTE]

How many verified cases of crankshaft damage have been reported because of the lwfw? I will be also installing an aasco unit as soon as I get all the parts for the IMS.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:35 PM
That is precisely what I am trying to find out.
As anyone on this forum had catastrophic engine or crankshaft failure after installing a balanced LWFW package and underdrive pulley.
Or is this perception of what could happen?

Old 08-14-2016, 11:25 PM
It's on the Flat6 Innovations site with a story of how it was out of balance with the crank and caused some catastrophic failure... but that being said, I am sure there are 1000's out there without any problem just like anything else 996 (INCLUDING ORIGINAL IMS's )

I wanted to put one on and the shop said they didn't recommend it... I guess the M96 is all about preservation at the expense of ultimate performance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.