996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Upgrades Review - Fabspeed, Underdrive Pulley, IPD Plenum, etc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 06:24 AM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
Installed my LWFW.

The gearbox chatter at idle sounds like a diesel engine.

It is embarrassing.

It does rev quicker, but you can feel loss of low end torque.

I would not do it again, given the chance.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:33 PM
nottoshabi is on a distinguished road
Great write up Relegate. I like reading other peoples experience and trials on customizing these great machines. I have a question about the IPD Plenum. Did this make a difference in the rev time and pedal feel? I would like to increase the rev time and response to the pedal on mine. I test drove a 2010 gt3 and loved how fast that revved and the feel of the pedal, it was very light and responsive. Would like to get as close as possible to that. Would you say that the IPD Plenum would get me there if I add a gt3 throttle body?

Old 08-17-2016, 07:37 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
The dual mass flywheel is going to be your bottleneck in the fast revs department.

With that said, a bored out tb and a retuned ecu should improve the revving a bit. A retuned ecu is going to modify your throttle maps and also provide a more aggressive ignition timing as well as lean out the fuel, helping it to rev. GT3 tb/plenum combo is overkill on our motors unless you have headwork/cams/better intake manifold.

I see a lot of guys just throwing parts on these cars. If you wanna do it methodically, learn the theories and how to use a manometer and something like Durametric to log/measure MAF values for each mod along with getting it on a chassis dyno like a Mustang dyno which can measure part throttle runs.

Last edited by alpine003; 08-17-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:44 PM
Thanks alpine003.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:12 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
Buy a GT3. The 996 engine will have a real tough time replicating that experience.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by B8_RDC
Buy a GT3. The 996 engine will have a real tough time replicating that experience.

Yes that will be my next Porsche purchase. I just bought this 996 not to long go, and since I have to save up way more money to buy a gt3. I will be driving this one around in the mean time.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:58 PM
Relegate is on a distinguished road
If you do the kitchen sink like I have I think you will be more dollars poorer than HP richer. Alpine's approach is solid. I like the plenum and my car rev's faster than stock, but I also have an under drive pulley which is likely the biggest factor.

I was actually thinking of stepping backwards parts-wise and seeing which parts I took off might actually add back power! haha... ok, I'm bored.

The GT3 has lighter engine internals to compliment that light flywheel. That also enables it to get to very high RPMS which would have an M96/7 blowing to pieces.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:39 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Relegate
The GT3 has lighter engine internals to compliment that light flywheel. That also enables it to get to very high RPMS which would have an M96/7 blowing to pieces.
The more important thing is it's balanced better so it can rev higher and also last longer.

There's a guy on RL rebuilding a m96 now, but you'd think he was building a race motor as he's blueprinting and balancing it like one.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:48 AM
Relegate is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by alpine003
The more important thing is it's balanced better so it can rev higher and also last longer.

There's a guy on RL rebuilding a m96 now, but you'd think he was building a race motor as he's blueprinting and balancing it like one.
Trying to out-engineer the factory again! Haha. Should be interesting to see where he ends up!

Old 08-30-2016, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by alpine003
With that said, a bored out tb and a retuned ecu should improve the revving a bit.
@Alpine003, should I get the ECU retuned and the TB done at same time so that the ECU can be tuned for that? Also will a bigger TB fit the stock T shape plastic pipe?

Last edited by nottoshabi; 08-30-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:34 AM
Originally Posted by nottoshabi
@Alpine003, should I get the ECU retuned and the TB done at same time so that the ECU can be tuned for that? Also will a bigger TB fit the stock T shape plastic pipe?
Depends on what ecu you go with. Most of self tuned ecu's have a wider "auto" tune adaptation feature for any minor incremental upgrades. You really only have to specify whether you want to lower the threshold of the cat sniffing, redline limit, immobilizer defeat, throttle mapping(aka sprint booster effect), etc. Otherwise it will adapt to minor mods on its own.

As for the factory T tube, you can go up to 4mm max overbore before you run out of material to bore it against.

A great economical solution is to have Maxbore bore out your existing TB. I believe they go 3mm increase which also includes new larger butterfly plate. That's what I'm running now and George over there has done over a dozen tb's for me over the years. Great guy.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:39 PM
That is great alpine I did not know about maxbore. So you don't recommend the T pipe I can still use my stock plastic one? Since I have to take the TB out, just wondering not to do the job twice.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by nottoshabi
That is great alpine I did not know about maxbore. So you don't recommend the T pipe I can still use my stock plastic one? Since I have to take the TB out, just wondering not to do the job twice.
Correct. If you go the MaxBore route, you can use the factory T pipe and just port match the tb to it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.