996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Problem with the "memory" function of my driver seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 05:46 AM
tophebboy is on a distinguished road
Problem with the "memory" function of my driver seat

Hello everyone!

I have a problem with the memory function of my driver seat of my 2003 996 4S:
I cannot store any memory position (I tried every procedure I found online). Pushing 1 or 2 actually recalls previously stored positions.

I digged a little bit and here are some extra info that may be interesting regarding my issue:
->When I push the "key" button only, nothing happens (so I assume nothing is stored regarding my keys)
->I can change my seat position when I'm not driving. Starting from about 5 km/h, I connot do it anymore. I have to stop and at least open the door to be able to do it again ( I do not know if this is the normal behaviour)
-> A Porsche owner close to my place has the PIWIS equipments and nicely made a few tests on my car: the "M" button itselfs is working (it is actually sending on the car the network the "Hey guys, I'm pushed" message), from the PIWIS interface you can save the current position to memory 1 or 2 (and I took this opportunity to store my position to 1), BUT you cannot set any position directly using the actual buttons on the car ...

Does anyone has any clue of what could be going on?

Thanks very much in advance, guys !

Old 10-14-2015, 02:12 AM
Hi everybody! As when the PIWIS sends the order to the seat module, the module stores the position, and as each button one by one seems to works, I would suspect that there is some short circuit within the module where the buttons are located that would prevent any signal to go out of it when "M" and "1" or "2" are pressed...
Do you think it could be that and that I should change the bloc with the buttons?

Old 10-14-2015, 06:03 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Let me say this, with these cars electrical problems could be anything. It might be best to have someone look into it who know the ins and outs of the Porsche electrical system and wiring.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by FLA996TT
Let me say this, with these cars electrical problems could be anything. It might be best to have someone look into it who know the ins and outs of the Porsche electrical system and wiring.
Sure but I actually don't know anybody close to my place who could look into that, that is why I'm asking for some help here
The only option I would have "locally" would be to go the nearest Porsche Center (which is actually pretty close to my place) but they would just tell me to change the full module (so more thant 1000 Euros + labor)...