996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

3rd break light LED Aero-kit rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 10:05 AM
Franco67 is on a distinguished road
3rd break light LED Aero-kit rear spoiler

Hey you guys, so I replaced my tail lights to Depo LEDs, but I can't find the way to also change the third brake light, Any one of you know where I can find it or the part number?
Thanks,

Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2016, 05:50 PM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
Isn't that brake light already LED, mine is and it was factory to the best of my knowledge.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:55 PM
Thanks for your message, yeah I am not sure. If that's the case I won't mess with it. Do you know what's the part number?

Old 01-31-2016, 07:07 PM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
I will try to find it, I thought it needed to be replaced when I first got the car, but it was only the connection, it needed to be cleaned and reattached and have not had a problem since.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:14 PM
Okay, keep me posted. I might just take it apart and get it clean up.

Last edited by Franco67; 02-03-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:32 PM
Also you should put a little electrical lube on the connection.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:25 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
The 996 third brake light is not LED from the factory. It uses a row of incandescent bulbs.

There are several aftermarket options available for LED replacement and it's a very easy thing to do.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:50 AM
good to know, it looked like a sealed unit when I took it out, guess i assumed

Old 02-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Dennis C
The 996 third brake light is not LED from the factory. It uses a row of incandescent bulbs.

There are several aftermarket options available for LED replacement and it's a very easy thing to do.

Could you please be able to see if you can post the after market replacement? Because I am not sure how to do a search on them. I am not been able to find the ones that will fit on the rear spoiler.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Sleek996 is on a distinguished road
Go on Ebay and search "Porsche 996 led third", I bought one the fit and build is as good as oem. Installation takes 5 mins, compliments the depot taillights perfectly.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Sleek996
Go on Ebay and search "Porsche 996 led third", I bought one the fit and build is as good as oem. Installation takes 5 mins, compliments the depot taillights perfectly.

Clearly, I know that but is it the same fitting? I have a rear spoiler, plus I don't have the part number.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:49 AM
I was not aware it is the same part number as the standard rear deck brake light.
It looks too wide on my Factory Porsche Wing to fit inside regular opening.
Franco, Is your wing factory Porsche, it will be coded under front hood?
I know the aftermarket wings will fit regular light.

Last edited by NYoutftr; 02-04-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Sleek996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Franco67
Clearly, I know that but is it the same fitting? I have a rear spoiler, plus I don't have the part number.
Sorry on my part, I was thinking it's for the regular deck. Maybe take the dimensions and shape from the current light and compare to the aftermarket option and go from there.

Beautiful car by the way and the color I always wanted but could not find.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:57 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NYoutftr
good to know, it looked like a sealed unit when I took it out, guess i assumed
It is a sealed unit, and Porsche dealers will sell you the entire unit if you want to replace a bulb. That being said, you can pop it open and buy replacement "peanut" bulbs at an auto parts store.

As for the LED units, I don't recall where I bought the one for my 996. I searched online and found one.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:25 PM
seeeu911 is on a distinguished road
I got my 3rd light LED from Del Rey Customs
Perfect fit Zero problems

http://delreycustoms.theshoppad.com/...ents-pre-order

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3rd break light LED Aero-kit rear spoiler