996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Latest Mods will be...

Old 02-04-2016, 07:47 AM
Porsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enoughPorsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enough
Latest Mods will be...

Now that I've finished my 997 mirror mod, other than waiting anther week to install the carbon inserts. I decided to sell my seats which went to another 6speed member. In their place I purchased a set of Bride racing seats from a company called ShiftUp. I contacted them because they had the exact seats I was looking for. They are black with red stitching (see below picture from there website). I have to say, these guys were awesome!!

I needed the slider brackets and mounts as well and they gave me 100 dollars off for ordering everything together. They had my package out for shipping just a day later and will arrive today by FedEx.

The next few months I will be using this thread to report in on all the interior mods I will be doing. I purchased some artic silver paint to do the center console. I will also be spraying the rest of the rollcage red and installing the remaining section that I have yet to install. I currently have the rear section in the car but will be running the front section. I purchased a piwis to do the seatbelt hack (I ordered 4 point harnesses with the racing seats) and the piwis will allow me to turn off the airbag light.

This thread will take place over the next few months and I will post as many detailed pics and notes as possible.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Stone_05 is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to your interior upgrades/mods! Let me know how you like the Bride seats. I bought a set of Rotec seats from a forum member and I've had them for a couple years. They went well with the interior and I really liked the red stitching. However, they are a little on the narrow side. When you sit in the seat.....you're not going anywhere. Pretty snug. At least for me. I may need to swap them out eventually so I'm curious to get your review on the seats.

Attached Images   
Old 02-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Porsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enoughPorsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enough
Stone, I will give as much of a detailed update on the pros and cons. I've ran multiple styles and brands of racing seats in all my previous builds. I've always been a fan to the tight fit. I actually find myself more comfortable in a racing seat than I do a stock seat.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:17 PM
dporto is on a distinguished road
" I purchased a piwis to do the seatbelt hack (I ordered 4 point harnesses with the racing seats) and the piwis will allow me to turn off the airbag light. "

Wow! I was under the impression that PIWIS systems still sell for "many" thousands of dollars (somewhere around $20,000 - $30,000 when new) and were therefore mainly only available through dealerships and the larger independent shops at shop rate prices... did you actually find a real PIWIS system for a reasonable price?

Old 02-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Dporto, no they are that expensive. I'm just an idiot and wasn't thinking when I said PIWIS lol. I got the $30.00 cheap scan tool to erase the airbag light after I bypass the airbag system for the seats. I still gotta research on how this process is done. Alpine explained to me through text message how this is done but, I think before I attempt it I will need to read more. Alpine is too smart for me lol. Maybe I'll just fly him out to do mine for me lol.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:27 PM
dporto is on a distinguished road
Ah... Ok, no biggie... I think that the Durametric is the only "reasonably" priced alternarive to the PIWIS with "close to the full functionality" of the PIWIS system. I know there are those $30 cables out there that use the old Durametric software but I always get a bad feeling about them - like I'm just throwing the $30 away and postponing buying the durametric anyway.... Good luck with it and let us know how it goes

Old 02-04-2016, 04:45 PM
Got my seats and harnesses in today. Here is a few pics of the seats and a picture of the shoulder part of one harness. This will be wrapped up and put back in the boxes until the remainder of the interior is completed.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:31 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Porsche_Shiftin04
The next few months I will be using this thread to report in on all the interior mods I will be doing.
C'mon man, you're slacking. We're expecting you to do it in a few weeks like you normally do. haha. j/k.

Congrats, seats look good. One good thing about snug fitting seats is that it forces you to stay in shape. Too many pizza's and you can kiss your seats good bye. lol.

Although I've used many race seats before, I'm not familiar with that particular model. What is the max waist size would you say can fit there? Also what is the weight on those?

You need a modified version of this sticker stuck to the side of your seats.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:51 AM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
+1 on the too many pizzas

Old 02-05-2016, 11:14 AM
Hahahahah!!! What's funny is when I posted this I knew you'd call me out on my time table lol. My issue right now is nowhere to spray. I did the mirrors in my spare room and ventilated it, thinking it's not much to spray the two mirrors. The smell still made it to the upstairs part of my house.

So, to spray the rollcage and the center console in there obviously is a no go lol.

The seats are extremely light. If I was to guess, I'd say maybe 15 pounds if not lighter without the tracks. I'll have to look at the box label to see what the shipping weight was. I've used a lot of racing seats but, these are by far the most narrow seats I've ever had. I fit very tight in them. I'm a 32 waist and would say anything over 34 wouldn't fit, and 34 would have to squeeze into the seat.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:18 AM
Here's the dimensions and description on the seats.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:34 AM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
32" waist?????
Is that metric???

Old 02-07-2016, 01:10 PM
drsourmonkey is on a distinguished road
Don't want to **** on your parade, but are you sure you want to run that seat/harness combo?

Replica Bride seats aren't exactly known for quality, as they haven't undergone any sort of testing (they're just made on a mold of authentic seats, and probably with a metal frame of unknown quality). I don't imagine the full bucket would snap in half during an impact like the recliners, but I'd be weary about the mounting method, brackets, and sliders. It's your call.

On the belts, I would seriously consider whether or not you'd want to trust your life to chinese seat belts of unknown origin, and quality. Seat belts save lives. You do NOT want them to fail. You do NOT want to be thinking about how you saved $300 as your body slams forward during an impact. I've held replica "Takata" seat belts, and the camlock is alarmingly ****ty. I would NOT trust them with my life, although I'd totally strap Hitler in them. For comparison I've used mainly Schroth harnesses (4 point ASM. 6pt cam locks) in my cars due to their superior quality. You can really feel the difference.

As for the design of the seat belts, 4 point belts are not recommended for any appliction due to the chance of submarining (sliding below the belt during an impact). There's a lot of documentation on this, so I suggest you read, and fully comprehend the risks of running a certain style of belt. My top choice is a Schroth 6 point with 2" lap belts.

At the end of the day it's your car, and your life, but safety systems are in place to protect you in the event of a crash. You might save up front, but you'll you'll definitely pay for it in the event of a crash.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:20 PM
IslaTurbine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Porsche_Shiftin04
Dporto, no they are that expensive. I'm just an idiot and wasn't thinking when I said PIWIS lol. I got the $30.00 cheap scan tool to erase the airbag light after I bypass the airbag system for the seats. I still gotta research on how this process is done. Alpine explained to me through text message how this is done but, I think before I attempt it I will need to read more. Alpine is too smart for me lol. Maybe I'll just fly him out to do mine for me lol.
So you're gonna reset the light every time you start your car? Or am I missing something?

Old 02-09-2016, 07:40 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by drsourmonkey
Don't want to **** on your parade, but are you sure you want to run that seat/harness combo?

Replica Bride seats aren't exactly known for quality, as they haven't undergone any sort of testing (they're just made on a mold of authentic seats, and probably with a metal frame of unknown quality). I don't imagine the full bucket would snap in half during an impact like the recliners, but I'd be weary about the mounting method, brackets, and sliders. It's your call.

On the belts, I would seriously consider whether or not you'd want to trust your life to chinese seat belts of unknown origin, and quality. Seat belts save lives. You do NOT want them to fail. You do NOT want to be thinking about how you saved $300 as your body slams forward during an impact. I've held replica "Takata" seat belts, and the camlock is alarmingly ****ty. I would NOT trust them with my life, although I'd totally strap Hitler in them. For comparison I've used mainly Schroth harnesses (4 point ASM. 6pt cam locks) in my cars due to their superior quality. You can really feel the difference.

As for the design of the seat belts, 4 point belts are not recommended for any appliction due to the chance of submarining (sliding below the belt during an impact). There's a lot of documentation on this, so I suggest you read, and fully comprehend the risks of running a certain style of belt. My top choice is a Schroth 6 point with 2" lap belts.

At the end of the day it's your car, and your life, but safety systems are in place to protect you in the event of a crash. You might save up front, but you'll you'll definitely pay for it in the event of a crash.
Troll? Seriously, your first post is on trying to be a daddy to someone based on a lot of assumptions. Do you even have a Porsche? Have you ever been to a track for DE?

Mr. Safety, if 4 point harnesses were so dangerous, wouldn't the OEM's also install a crotch hugger in their cars too? You my man, are thinking of hardcore professional racing that needs this additional measure of safety based on elevated speeds, and stiff chassis with hardly no crumple zones to absorb any impact.

Once again, how many peeps have you seen at a DE with 6 point harnesses? I understand their purpose but everything's has a place and time.

Now if I were single, I'd have a 6 point on the passenger side only do I can assist my dates in buckling up.

Also by your logic, I surely hope you're replacing your harnesses every few years before their expiration date.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Latest Mods will be...