996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Window Regulator Replacement Time?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 02:29 PM
charha01 can only hope to improve
Window Regulator Replacement Time?

My drivers side window regulator needs replacing. I plan on doing this on a rainy weekend, but was wondering how long this typically takes? Am I looking at an all day project here or just a couple of hours?
Thanks

Old 02-08-2016, 03:56 PM
IslaTurbine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by charha01
My drivers side window regulator needs replacing. I plan on doing this on a rainy weekend, but was wondering how long this typically takes? Am I looking at an all day project here or just a couple of hours?
Thanks
http://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/917283-window-is-now-officially-stuck-open.html

Old 02-08-2016, 05:37 PM
rrrruben will become famous soon enough
I have replaced my window regulator three times....long story. My best time was under 90 minutes. My worst time was 3 hours; !@#$# window panel adjustment. Good luck. Note: Some aftermarket window regulators come with two stoppers on the rail...remove the top stopper.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by rrrruben
I have replaced my window regulator three times....long story. My best time was under 90 minutes. My worst time was 3 hours; !@#$# window panel adjustment. Good luck. Note: Some aftermarket window regulators come with two stoppers on the rail...remove the top stopper.
TIFWIW, but my indy will only install Porsche regulators nowadays. They said they saw the aftermarket ones fail time and time again and decided stop installing them.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the info. I already have the regulator, so hopefully I got a good one.

To program the window, do you just shut the door and raise the window to the top and hold the up button for 5 seconds as was indicated in the Boxster video? Do you need to program it for the bottom too?

Also, I noticed that the window drops slightly when the door handle is pulled. Does that need to be programmed?

Thanks!

Old 02-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the info. I already have the regulator, so hopefully I got a good one.

To program the window, do you just shut the door and raise the window to the top and hold the up button for 5 seconds as was indicated in the Boxster video? Do you need to program it for the bottom too?

Also, I noticed that the window drops slightly when the door handle is pulled. Does that need to be programmed?

Thanks!
Your reset method is correct. Up; hold for 5 seconds. No need to address the down position. And, the window should drop slightly as you open the door. I was referring to alignment (or gap between) of the front window to the rear window.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by IslaTurbine
TIFWIW, but my indy will only install Porsche regulators nowadays. They said they saw the aftermarket ones fail time and time again and decided stop installing them.
Two years ago, I replaced the driver side with an OEM unit, and no problem to date. I twice replaced the passenger side with aftermarket unit. In six weeks time, my P-car was broken into twice through the passenger window damaging the regulator both times. Hopefully, the second aftermarket regulator will hold up. Time will tell. If not, OEM it is. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:27 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
The hardest parts of window regulator replacement are:

1. Removing the interior trim without breaking any tabs or scratching any interior leather pieces. Take your time and you'll be fine.
2. Adjusting the window properly so that it doesn't make wind noise at speed. Mark the position of the old regulator on the glass with a sharpie before you remove the glass, then try to get the glass in the same position on the new regulator.

The first time that I did it, it took me about 3 hours because I went slowly, especially with the door panel removal.

Good luck!

Last edited by Dennis C; 02-10-2016 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Aggressive autocorrect feature on my iPad
Old 02-10-2016, 11:30 AM
Thanks everyone for the info. I plan to do this over the weekend since it's forecasted to rain both days.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:41 PM
So I installed the regulator tonight. Took a couple hours but wasn't too painful. One lingering issue is that the airbag light is now on since I had to remove it as part of the work. Any idea how to make this go away?
Thanks

Old 02-10-2016, 10:49 PM
So I installed the regulator tonight. Took a couple hours but wasn't too painful. One lingering issue is that the airbag light is now on since I had to remove it as part of the work. Any idea how to make this go away?
Thanks
A shop or someone with a Durametric will have to reset the light.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:54 PM
Anyone in the Seattle area open to helping me reset this (if you have a Durametric device).

Old 02-13-2016, 09:10 PM
911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about911C4S has a spectacular aura about
How does one know if you have to replace a window regulator? Thanks

Old 02-14-2016, 09:44 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911C4S
How does one know if you have to replace a window regulator? Thanks
In the case of my Boxster the window was just twitching instead of dropping when I pulled on a door handle. The window would lower and raise ok with the button though.

When the tech got the door apart and the window regulator out it fell apart it was just worn out.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:38 AM
Coloradocurt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dennis C
The hardest parts of window regulator replacement are:
2. Adjusting the window properly so that it doesn't make wind noise at speed. Mark the position of the old regulator on the glass with a sharpie before you remove the glass, then try to get the glass in the same position on the new regulator.
Good luck!
Briefly summarizing some things I don't recall being clearly pointed out in the How-To threads-
* First, door open, window in full up position, disconnect battery (to avoid any airbag issues;
* As Dennis suggested, mark the window position. I suggest on the outside, and I used painter's tape on both the glass and adjacent weatherstrip seal. I did this on both the horizontal and vertical (next to the mirror) weatherstrips so as to be able to correctly and perfectly position the glass on re-installation both horizontally and vertically. This presumes the previous installation was perfect. This should allow you to avoid all of the clearance adjustments;
* Make sure the replacement regulator is at the full up position when you install it;
* After the glass is in, temporarily re-install the airbag without re-installing the vapor barrier, temporarily hook up the battery, lower the window about half-way, close the door, run the window up to the top, continuously holding the up button (I've read anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds) to reset the memory. After that, run the window up and down to confirm operation, and then with the window at full up, check with both the outside as well as the inside door handles that the drop down function works properly. If not, that sounds like you might have a microswitch problem;
* Disconnect the battery again - and I forget how much time you need to give the airbag to discharge any energy so it doesn't go off - remove the airbag again and then proceed with the full re-installation of the vapor barrier and interior panels.
Good luck.

Last edited by Coloradocurt; 02-14-2016 at 12:02 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Window Regulator Replacement Time?