996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Torque Solution Engine Mounts not fitting?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 10:43 PM
996-Sam is on a distinguished road
Torque Solution Engine Mounts not fitting?

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a "Torque Solution Engine Mount Kit: Porsche 911 1998-11" to replace my stock 2000 C4 mounts. I bought it from Amazon, but here it is on the torquesolution site:

http://www.torquesolution.com/Porsch.../ts-00-002.htm

After removing the stock right mount, I attempted to install the new mount, but it doesn't look like there is enough thread on the bottom to screw on the 18mm nut. Looking at the stock and torquesolution mounts side-by-side, I see that the torquesolution's thread is about 1cm shorter. I'm posting a few pictures in case these helps.

Did I purchase the wrong part? Does anyone have experience installing these mounts on their 996 car?

Thanks for advance...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0566.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	440250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3542.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	440251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7345.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	440252  
Old 02-16-2016, 04:50 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
that doesn't look fully seated. The square where the rod meets the mount has to drop into the "housing" on the car....you'll have to turn the "square" portion a little

Old 02-16-2016, 05:43 PM
You're right, the new mount sits about 2mm above the body and freely rotates, indicating that the square part is not mated with the square hole in the body. I believe the tapered part on the bottom of the new mount is preventing the mount from dropping all the way in place. I didn't try to force it in since I didn't want to cause any damage to the new mount. I was wondering if someone went through this once and can help me figure out if I should force it in.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:52 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
I had the TS but it's been a couple years since I've removed it....IIRC I don't think the tapered part had anything to do with fitment. I had to have the square part aligned the same way as stock mount then raised the engine up....fit right in

Old 02-16-2016, 07:57 PM
If you look at your posted picture of the 2 mount, the right/OEM mount has a rubber square part. Right above it in your picture, there is a metal square part. That metal square part that goes into the body. If you look at the TS mount, the equivalent square part goes into the body. That square has to be aligned same position as OEM

Old 02-17-2016, 12:31 AM
Thanks geetee. I'll get the square part aligned and I'll give another shot.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:53 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996-Sam
I was wondering if someone went through this once and can help me figure out if I should force it in.
You should be easily be able to clock the mount so it fits. Be careful on installing a nut on the TS units as the end taper isn't as friendly as the OEM bolts. I would get the nut on there and turn in a couple times counter clockwise just to get it seated in there correctly before tightening it.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:56 PM
Thanks alpine003!

I think I figured out my problem. It appears that the square part on the new TS mount is slightly larger than the square hole that it fits in. It almost fits, but not quite. I compared the square part on the stock mount vs. the TS mount and found that the TS mount is about is 0.6mm larger (photos below).

At this point, my options are to (1) return the mounts, (2) grind the hole to make it slightly larger, or (3) grinding the square part to make it smaller. I'm leaning towards option 2.

-- Sam

Name:	IMG_0025.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	440529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0026.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	440530  
Old 02-18-2016, 10:46 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
You have documented it with pics so personally I would show TS the issue. It could be just a bad batch and see what they can do first. I would do option two as a last resort in case any future owners wants to put back in the factory mounts. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:35 PM
Thanks alpine003! I decided to go with a combination of options #2 and #3 and was able to get both mounts in place once a little machining was done to both, the square holes as well as each each TS engine mount. I just have to torque everything and to put everything back together, then I'll take it out for a test drive. Looking forward to a more solid ride feel and smoother shifting. Thanks everyone!

Name:	IMG_0030.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	440778  
Old 02-21-2016, 02:23 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
had the same issue with mine. just sanded the mounting square a bit and tapped it into the hole no biggie

Old 02-26-2016, 12:09 AM
Thank you all for your help. I had my first test drive today and I can certainly feel the extra vibration (and rattle noise) in the cabin. Shifting is also pretty smooth and effortless, which is added bounce. Good upgrade overall.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:20 PM
nottoshabi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 996-Sam
I can certainly feel the extra vibration (and rattle noise) in the cabin. Shifting is also pretty smooth and effortless, which is added bounce. Good upgrade overall.

@996-Sam. How much of a vibration are we talking about? I'm entrusted in doing this to mine as I need to change the mounts. Since the price for these are well above OEM. I'm wondering if its worth the price I'm mostly worried about the cabin feel as I'm sure the handling is better. Did you also change your transmission mount as well?

Does it shake, vibrate or rattle? Right now my mounts are worn and the seats vibrate at idle, in the lower back region. I don't like it, it can get annoying at times. I'm looking for some that handle well but don't have so much cabin feel.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:55 PM
I didn't change the transmission mount, just the two rear engine mounts. The cabin vibrates slightly now, which I like, but if you're looking for a smooth ride, then these are probably not for you. I remember when I first fired the engine, I felt this extra vibration and I thought that my engine was running rough, but then I remembered that I just installed a semi-solid engine mount.

At times (usually when started from a complete stop), I get a rattle in the engine compartment. It sounds more like a muffler/exhaust shield noise and it only lasts for a second, but I'm not too worried about it.

Overall, ride quality has improved and I personally enjoy the extra vibration in the cabin.

BTW, price-wise, they were similar to the OEM mounts (they're a little cheaper on Amazon). My OEM mounts were fine, so I was only replacing them to improve the ride quality.

Best of luck!

Old 08-18-2016, 07:33 AM
I love my poly mounts and just another data point of the feeling is more akin to an older sports car and not some clunker that has something wrong with it. If you've ever driven older 70's or 80's sports cars or even air-cooled 911's, you'll be right at home. OTOH, if this is your first sports car and you're used to the Lexus type ride or disconnected and numb ride from Camry type cars, then this mod may not suit you.

This brings back the raw and visceral feeling while dramatically improving the handling/weight transfer aspect during spirited drives contributing to the more "analog" feel that a lot modern sports cars lack these days. I'd gladly sacrifce a little bit of NVH for these gains. YMMV

If your existing stock mounts are severely worn or broken, even replacing them with stock mounts should yield a ride improvement albeit on a toned down level when it comes to the sport department, but you will still get back the comfort that you once had.

Last edited by alpine003; 08-18-2016 at 07:37 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Torque Solution Engine Mounts not fitting?