996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Tranny Mount

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 12:56 PM
RainJer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
Its not an acceptance of differing opinions. Your assuming that because its cheaper that its inferior to the factory part when in fact its superior.

Of course if you think this forum is beneath you your welcome to leave.
It sounds more like you have a superior/inferior issue because I don't see/judge people, forums, socioeconomic statuses, and et cetera that way. I simply stated that it seems ridiculous (to me) that someone would inject caulking into a failed part instead of replacing it... A net saving of $110 at that!

Old 05-13-2016, 06:01 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RainJer
It sounds more like you have a superior/inferior issue because I don't see/judge people, forums, socioeconomic statuses, and et cetera that way. I simply stated that it seems ridiculous (to me) that someone would inject caulking into a failed part instead of replacing it... A net saving of $110 at that!
it wasnt a failed part just an ineffective part. unless you actually get a little grease on your hands you would never know that. if you look at the 997 trans mount porsche went to a semi solid mount from a windowed rubber mount. why? becasue the old part fails. thats why. you may not appreciate a 110$ savings but i do. just like saving 3000$ from a full 3.8 piston liner ring setup from porsche and use a la sleeves cp ring and piston set. but hey whats 3k$ to a guy who pisses 110$ away like its a cup of coffee?

Old 05-13-2016, 09:55 PM
Slakker has a spectacular aura aboutSlakker has a spectacular aura aboutSlakker has a spectacular aura about
I am glad I didn't buy my car from these forums... home depot window calking!?? I'm all for DIY, but injecting widow calking to avoid the $130 cost of a replacement insert? Take a little pride in your Porsche and just do it the right way... IMHO at least.
Lol, some people love to stir it up. Ok, truth is, both options are just hacks. The right way to do it is to remove the tranny, cut out the old mount, and press in a new one.

But that's why I asked if it was reversible. Up until now, all of my mods are easily reversible. I have all of the stock parts so that I can easily have it back like I found it if I do sell it one day. Now when the engine gets rebuilt next year that won't be quite as "reversible".

Old 05-14-2016, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Slakker
Lol, some people love to stir it up. Ok, truth is, both options are just hacks. The right way to do it is to remove the tranny, cut out the old mount, and press in a new one.

But that's why I asked if it was reversible. Up until now, all of my mods are easily reversible. I have all of the stock parts so that I can easily have it back like I found it if I do sell it one day. Now when the engine gets rebuilt next year that won't be quite as "reversible".
I really wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings...

LOL! It's your car after all so do what makes sense for you :thumbup:

Old 05-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Slakker has a spectacular aura aboutSlakker has a spectacular aura aboutSlakker has a spectacular aura about
I really wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings... LOL! It's your car after all so do what makes sense for you :thumbup:
Nice pic. . I'll probably do a press in when I install an LSD.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:42 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
there is no "press in" for the trans mount. its moulded rubber adheard to a metal bracket. your only choices are a simple mod to fix it permanently, replace it with the 997 upgraded part (which is exactly what the mod accomplishes for 1/10 of the price) or replace it with an aftermarket part. those are your choices

fwiw this isnt window caulking. its the same material used to adhere your windshield to the car. it has a 74 durometer rating coincidently the same as the 997 trans mount .

Old 05-16-2016, 07:40 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
window weld is a 74 durometer rating right between street and race. the perfect balance and has minimal nvh
Ok I'll get back into this discussion.

What you're stating is purely subjective above and I don't think it would qualify as a "perfect balance" for some.

Do you know why FF has three offerings now? It's because people felt the yellows were even a bit too harsh and intrusive. Yes, the lowest orange inserts were purely brought on after the initial 2 offerings only because there were quite a few that felt even the yellows had a bit too much nvh for their tastes.

You yourself said window weld is between medium and race. This could be fine for those that don't have mods or peeps no longer wanting a refined civil ride. But for those that already have mods like poly engine mounts, coil overs and such, may find even the yellow ones to transmit a bit too much nvh.

IMO, the engine mounts are what's more critical and noticeable in controlling weight shift. I would say the upgraded poly engine mounts contribute to 90% of the weight shift/performance increase while the trannys mounts do a lot less for performance but introduce more nvh per level of performance increase(minimal IMO).

I just don't want anyone getting the wrong impression since the DIY method isn't reversible.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:14 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by alpine003

IMO, the engine mounts are what's more critical and noticeable in controlling weight shift. I would say the upgraded poly engine mounts contribute to 90% of the weight shift/performance increase while the trannys mounts do a lot less for performance but introduce more nvh per level of performance increase(minimal IMO).
This is a great heads-up, thx!!

Old 05-16-2016, 04:32 PM
Banned
Ok I'll get back into this discussion.

What you're stating is purely subjective above and I don't think it would qualify as a "perfect balance" for some.

Do you know why FF has three offerings now? It's because people felt the yellows were even a bit too harsh and intrusive. Yes, the lowest orange inserts were purely brought on after the initial 2 offerings only because there were quite a few that felt even the yellows had a bit too much nvh for their tastes.

You yourself said window weld is between medium and race. This could be fine for those that don't have mods or peeps no longer wanting a refined civil ride. But for those that already have mods like poly engine mounts, coil overs and such, may find even the yellow ones to transmit a bit too much nvh.

I just don't want anyone getting the wrong impression since the DIY method isn't reversible.
first of all the ff mounts arent a fix at all. merely an insert to stiffen the mount yet it doesnt do anything to keep it from failing.
as for why they have 3 styles? to sell parts. plain and simple. and when did any porsche fanatic EVER want a CIVIL ride? if you want civil buy a prius. porsches are road cars. born to feel the road thru the body thru the driveline and thru the suspension. a race car in sheeps clothing.

porsche learns a few things every time they update. thats why they went from a hollow trans mount to a semi solid mount in the 997 ieteration.

do what you like. use the mod or dont. spend your hard earned bucks on a 997 mount or 20$ on a modded mount. makes zero difference to me. as for reversible the reason porsche went to semi solids was because the 996 mount was failing constantly. its unlikely you can even get a 996 mount now. much like the coils they simply did away with the bad part and use the better part.
and finally the c2 996 is likely at this time the cheapest car porsche has. 914, 944 bring almost the same money. aircooled 911 are in outer space with the cost. so your entry level young guy who just dropped 25k$ for his first porsche may not want to spend 200$ for a part that he can make for 20$. just a thought

Old 05-17-2016, 07:39 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
I

first of all the ff mounts arent a fix at all. merely an insert to stiffen the mount yet it doesnt do anything to keep it from failing.
as for why they have 3 styles? to sell parts. plain and simple. and when did any porsche fanatic EVER want a CIVIL ride? if you want civil buy a prius. porsches are road cars. born to feel the road thru the body thru the driveline and thru the suspension. a race car in sheeps clothing.

porsche learns a few things every time they update. thats why they went from a hollow trans mount to a semi solid mount in the 997 ieteration.

do what you like. use the mod or dont. spend your hard earned bucks on a 997 mount or 20$ on a modded mount. makes zero difference to me. as for reversible the reason porsche went to semi solids was because the 996 mount was failing constantly. its unlikely you can even get a 996 mount now. much like the coils they simply did away with the bad part and use the better part.
and finally the c2 996 is likely at this time the cheapest car porsche has. 914, 944 bring almost the same money. aircooled 911 are in outer space with the cost. so your entry level young guy who just dropped 25k$ for his first porsche may not want to spend 200$ for a part that he can make for 20$. just a thought
Ok you suckered me into playing again. It's clear you like to argue for the sake of it based on all the internet stuff you read. Sounds like you're the typical young newbie that's been dazzled into owning a piece of the dream due to the low cost of entry while not really thinking about the overall cost of ownership. This happens a lot these days.

Does this mean you have to bend over every time and pay crazy prices for everything? No

I like people that are innovative and do the best of what they have or prefer.

However what I see a lot of on these elite car type of forums is peeps trying hard to push their views and have it be Bible.

Do what works for you but be objective about it and realize the world doesn't revolve around you or your preferences.

Also realize there's guys that's been around the block here a few times and know a thing or two.

I suggest you research your facts a bit more next time.

What I said of FF's third option is true.

The demographic of typical 996 owners are still older guys, although they are slowly shifting more and more to the young lads. So they do care about refined ride and some level of civility.

They do still make replacement 996 tranny mounts.

Never seen a tranny mount fail on 996 before, just like you'll never see an engine mount fail on its own unless involved in a crash. Wear down, yes.

The last time I checked, 924,928,944 and some 912/914 models were still cheaper than your avg 996 model.

There are people that decide to drive a Porsche over say, a modified Honda because you can have your cake and eat it too. It allows great acceleration, handling, noise control, even fuel economy, right out of the box without having to tinker with it and it does this with grace and style that no modified Honda could match.

Now before you accuse me of being a snob, I still have a 1800lb modified Honda CRX that I dearly love and think its a funner car to drive, albeit less refined and not as quick.

Enjoy your tranny mount. :cheers:

Old 05-17-2016, 09:54 AM
Banned
Ok you suckered me into playing again. It's clear you like to argue for the sake of it based on all the internet stuff you read. Sounds like you're the typical young newbie that's been dazzled into owning a piece of the dream due to the low cost of entry while not really thinking about the overall cost of ownership. This happens a lot these days. Does this mean you have to bend over every time and pay crazy prices for everything? No I like people that are innovative and do the best of what they have or prefer. However what I see a lot of on these elite car type of forums is peeps trying hard to push their views and have it be Bible. Do what works for you but be objective about it and realize the world doesn't revolve around you or your preferences. Also realize there's guys that's been around the block here a few times and know a thing or two. I suggest you research your facts a bit more next time. What I said of FF's third option is true. The demographic of typical 996 owners are still older guys, although they are slowly shifting more and more to the young lads. So they do care about refined ride and some level of civility. They do still make replacement 996 tranny mounts. Never seen a tranny mount fail on 996 before, just like you'll never see an engine mount fail on its own unless involved in a crash. Wear down, yes. The last time I checked, 924,928,944 and some 912/914 models were still cheaper than your avg 996 model. There are people that decide to drive a Porsche over say, a modified Honda because you can have your cake and eat it too. It allows great acceleration, handling, noise control, even fuel economy, right out of the box without having to tinker with it and it does this with grace and style that no modified Honda could match. Now before you accuse me of being a snob, I still have a 1800lb modified Honda CRX that I dearly love and think its a funner car to drive, albeit less refined and not as quick. Enjoy your tranny mount. :cheers:
Yep at the ripe old age of 54 i started my trip into racing high dollar cars. NOT since you feel in young pup who can barely afford my turbo porsche ill let you in on the details. Car was 55,000$ paid cash over the last 4 yrs i have added another 40,000$ in mods to get my goal of a 1200 hp porsche i can drag race. Stick w/the honda And if you have never seen the trans mount fail you havent been under many porsches

Last edited by 32krazy!; 05-17-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:41 PM
Yep at the ripe old age of 54 i started my trip into racing high dollar cars. NOT since you feel in young pup who can barely afford my turbo porsche ill let you in on the details. Car was 55,000$ paid cash over the last 4 yrs i have added another 40,000$ in mods to get my goal of a 1200 hp porsche i can drag race. Stick w/the honda And if you have never seen the trans mount fail you havent been under many porsches
Lol

You paid cash for your turbo and invested over $40k yet you're using $12 window weld to reinforce your tranny. Where does that $40k go then?
Ok... Right....

You keep racing your turbo in a straight line and believe what you want.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:24 PM
Lol

You paid cash for your turbo and invested over $40k yet you're using $12 window weld to reinforce your tranny. Where does that $40k go then?
Ok... Right....

You keep racing your turbo in a straight line and believe what you want.
EXACTLY! lol!

Old 05-20-2016, 07:32 AM
EXACTLY! lol!
To be fair, I like to clarify a few comments for the general masses.

Viewing on a mobile phone on 32krazy's posts doesn't allow you to see post count and age. I made some assumptions about his age and newbie status which I like to retract.

Also I was strictly speaking within the context of the original poster who had a 996.1 model.

It appears 32krazy might've been speaking in the context of turbo trannies which do fail from time to time and even more so when tuned to high power levels. I don't know why he posted here if he has a turbo car as there's a separate forum for that. The 996.2 NA tip models also share the same mounts as well so somewhat relevant here in this section. For those style mounts, the nvh characteristics of using poly mounts could be different so it's not really apples to apples comparison on some of the things that were talked about here and could vary.

I just wanted to clarify for those 996.2 tip and Turbo folks in case they come across this thread.