996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

IMS Tensioner Paddle Failing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:47 PM
M.Schoch is on a distinguished road
IMS Tensioner Paddle Failing?

Hello all,
I'm a long time lurker, short time member, and first time poster. I have owned my Porsche for just over a year now. Here is some info:

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera (996)
3.4l engine
Tiptronic
100,120 miles

I am not a mechanic, I've never even changed oil on any other car until I got this one. I really wanted to know my car and so anything that has been done to it, I did. With that said you will have to be patient with me because I still don't know anything, the only issue I had was when i first bought the car I had an oil leak. One of the spark plug tubes was cracked. Changed the spark plugs and coils, but when it came to getting that cracked tube out I quickly noticed it was broken into 3 pieces. One of the pieces dropped inside the engine and I couldn't get it out. Did some research online, but didn't find much. So I put a new tube in, finished working, and prayed the car would be fine.

Fast forward to last week. I noticed an oil leak and knew from where it was leaking it was probably the RMS. I took it to a well known, reliable shop to have everything done to it since the transmission would be pulled out. The shop said there was no metal in my oil and the filter looked good, but rhen they removed the sump pump and found pieces of broken plastic inside. They put the sump pump back on and stopped working on my car. They told me that the IMS Tensioner Paddle is failing, they can't change out the IMS bearing with the retro fit kit, the engine will fail, and for me to sell the car as fast as possible. They hadn't removed the transmission yet. They stopped right at this point.

Selling the car in this condition is not an option for me. I just morally can't do that to someone else. I've had a pos sold to me and it's such a gut wrenching experience. So I jumped on the internet and the only thing I could find was this thread from here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-oil-sump.html

There are bigger pictures near the bottom of the thread. This gave me some hope. However in my picture I see a little bigger triangle pieces that I don't see in the other pictures:

What do you guys think? Do you agree with the IMS Tensioner Paddle? Is it possible these have been there since break in? Forgive my ignorance and grasping at straws, but is it possible for the broken spark plug tube to end up in the sump pump? Basically, is the engine done, its just a matter of time?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Mark.

Here's my baby. Ive been in love with Porsche 911's since I was around 7 years old.

Last edited by M.Schoch; 07-10-2016 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Accidently posted before finishing. Also added a space in betwwen text and pictures.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:24 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
I would have your mechanic check your camshaft deviations and go from there.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:35 AM
M.Schoch is on a distinguished road
Thank you alpine003

Thank you for giving me a direction to go. I really do appreciate it and will do that immediately. Thanks again.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:08 PM
b-man will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by M.Schoch
. . . but is it possible for the broken spark plug tube to end up in the sump pump?
No, that is not possible.

I know this is an old thread and I don't know if you already got an answer. But if you didn't, I hope this helps.

b-man