996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Metal Crease Help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 03:07 PM
Bobwombat is on a distinguished road
Metal Crease Help?

Can the Forum please help a panicked owner?

I mistakenly lowered the garage door on top of my wife's 2002 996 C4 Cab as it was parked partially outside (brilliant!). And, while the two tiny lateral creases in the metal cabrio deck lid are barely perceptible, I've got to try to fix this before she figures it out; she sometimes notices these things & I've done the exact same thing on the other two family cars.

Is there any home-remedy type fix that might work in popping these two small lateral creases out? I seem to remember an old grandma tale of placing the metal in the sun & putting an ice cube over the crease. Is this easy fix fantasy?

Granted, you've got to really look hard & at a certain angle but, now that I know these slight creases are there, I won't be able to sleep too well. There's a chance nobody will notice but......

Any thoughts or help are greatly appreciated! Cheers & thanks from sunny Arizona, USA. Bob

Old 09-02-2016, 12:23 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bobwombat
Can the Forum please help a panicked owner?

I mistakenly lowered the garage door on top of my wife's 2002 996 C4 Cab as it was parked partially outside (brilliant!). And, while the two tiny lateral creases in the metal cabrio deck lid are barely perceptible, I've got to try to fix this before she figures it out; she sometimes notices these things & I've done the exact same thing on the other two family cars.

Is there any home-remedy type fix that might work in popping these two small lateral creases out? I seem to remember an old grandma tale of placing the metal in the sun & putting an ice cube over the crease. Is this easy fix fantasy?

Granted, you've got to really look hard & at a certain angle but, now that I know these slight creases are there, I won't be able to sleep too well. There's a chance nobody will notice but......

Any thoughts or help are greatly appreciated! Cheers & thanks from sunny Arizona, USA. Bob
Check with your local dealer who it uses for paintless dent removal and have the car looked at to see if this technique can be used.

A "crease" suggests the metal is stretched which in my limited experience is not addressable by a paintless dent removal process. But let a pro have a look.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:57 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
How about fixing your garage door first - they are supposed to have a safety sensor to prevent this...and this has happened on 3 cars? Your wife may try to close the garage door on you once she sees the creases.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:33 PM
JohnCA58 will become famous soon enough
one of the other forums has a How to Fix using dry ice and heat gun that has worked for quite a few, don't remember the forum name, i do remember ii is run by guy name Loren.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:39 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JohnCA58
one of the other forums has a How to Fix using dry ice and heat gun that has worked for quite a few, don't remember the forum name, i do remember ii is run by guy name Loren.
renntech.org

Old 09-07-2016, 11:22 AM
RngTrtl is infamous around these parts
for real. install the IR sensors on your garage door. 3rd times a charm.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:13 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Try Carsmedics or your dealer.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:28 AM
Since he hasn't responded in a while his wife must have figured out what he did

A good PDR guy works like a magician so I'd find one nearby and see if they can remove the crease.