996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

***Install aftermarket head unit in MOST car WITHOUT removing factory amp***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 10:54 AM
Slopeslider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JohnCA58
Two questions, did the radio work before you did the install ? also did you do the key on and then off for 90 seconds on the first time turning on the installed unit ?
No the radio appeared to be in a constant state of resetting itself. It would work sporadicly. I thought it was the head-unit and not the amp but I may be wrong. I did cycle the key on and then off for 90 secs and back on.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:04 PM
ScottJxB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Slopeslider
Installed mine last night and have no sound. I do have a blinking light coming from the converter and also on the fiber optic line when I unplug from the amp. I have replaced the D9 fuse for the amp, which looked fine. Any suggestions? I did hook both power lines (red and yellow) on the convert to switched power. I wouldn't think this would be the issue.
I do think your problem is with the red/yellow wire at the same source. I think the unit needs a constant source of low power. The instructions are specific about resetting the unit after installation. I do not think yours ever resets properly.

Scott

Old 01-07-2017, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by ScottJxB
I do think your problem is with the red/yellow wire at the same source. I think the unit needs a constant source of low power. The instructions are specific about resetting the unit after installation. I do not think yours ever resets properly.

Scott
Scott,

I was was thinking the same thing and connected the yellow wire per the manufacturer's website to constant 12volt and still have no luck. The amp doesn't appear to be powering on. I'm assuming that the most signal tells the amp to kick on? I'm stumped. I'm thinking my amp is toast but not sure how to go about veryfying this is the case.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:17 AM
It turns out I had a bad head unit and amp. I removed the Bose HU and AMP and replaced with an Alpine HU and Polk 5 channel amp. Very pleased with the new set-up.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-11-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:49 PM
BostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really nice
Will this work on a 2002? I only want to connect this and the Alpine HU to Bose system.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:52 PM
JohnCA58 will become famous soon enough
The 02 did not have the MOST system, you don't need the converter.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:04 AM
BostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really niceBostonCarrera4S is just really nice
So there is nothing that I need to hook up an Alpine HU?

Old 08-04-2017, 10:25 AM
JohnCA58 will become famous soon enough
Nope, so either cut up the P-car harness to wire in or go with CAI wiring for plug and play, they specialize in Porsche installs.

https://cai-store.com/

Old 01-24-2018, 11:46 AM
edes300 is on a distinguished road
I just completed this on my 2003 carrerra 2 with the MOST HI FI system. I brought the adapter from alliexpress.com. I used a Kenwood ddx375BT double dinn head unit. I used a metra harness and metra install kit. Total cost was approx 450 dollars.

The system works but needs a little tweaking. One problem is that the volume for the radio is fine but on bluetooth streaming the volume is too low even when output from the head unit is turned up. There may be some way to increase the output at the amplifier but I do not know.

Also the backup camera only works when I manually turn it on from the head unit, it should turn on when I put the car in reverse automatically. I know iot is hooked up right because I have to put it reverse to work. If I just turn on the camera from the head unit the system will not turn on, the car must be in reverse.

Other than that it seems to work fine and looks good. You can easily spend 1500 to 2500 for full installation including new speakers and amplifier. I just wantred something a little better with iphone connectivity.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:14 AM
I got almost all of the kinks I mentioned previously out of it. The only problem now is that when I turn off the car there is a pop sound. I think the amp and radio are turning off at the same time sending this annoying sound through the speakers.

Any advice on what to do about that?

Old 04-29-2018, 03:30 PM
chr
chr is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by edes300
I just completed this on my 2003 carrerra 2 with the MOST HI FI system. I brought the adapter from alliexpress.com. I used a Kenwood ddx375BT double dinn head unit. I used a metra harness and metra install kit. Total cost was approx 450 dollars.

The system works but needs a little tweaking. One problem is that the volume for the radio is fine but on bluetooth streaming the volume is too low even when output from the head unit is turned up. There may be some way to increase the output at the amplifier but I do not know.

Also the backup camera only works when I manually turn it on from the head unit, it should turn on when I put the car in reverse automatically. I know iot is hooked up right because I have to put it reverse to work. If I just turn on the camera from the head unit the system will not turn on, the car must be in reverse.

Other than that it seems to work fine and looks good. You can easily spend 1500 to 2500 for full installation including new speakers and amplifier. I just wantred something a little better with iphone connectivity.
I just ordered the adapter from aliexpress. Trying to figure out what head unit to order. Did you get the Bluetooth volume and backup camera figured out for the Kenwood? Any other head units someone would recommend that are known to be working?

Old 04-30-2018, 06:31 PM
I did get it figured out, it was my fault I had the bluetooth mic hooked up wrong and the backup camera was also hooked up incorrectly. Once I fixed that they both work.

My only issue now is a slight popping noise when I turn the car off. It think I need to set up a slight shut off delay between the amp and the radio but I'm not sure and still trying to research that.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:42 PM
chr
chr is an unknown quantity at this point
That is good to know. Please keep us posted. I currently have a Dension Gateway 500 and I recall some alternator noise problems related to the power connection type. The recommendation was to use a different constant power that has a bigger diameter and shielded + ground connection for the aux (that I use for BT that works but not great). The problem was more of a wining sound so it may be a completely different issue than the popping noise. I like the specs for the Kenwood - finally after 14 years there's hope to the replace the HU :-)

Old 05-01-2018, 06:37 AM
In my case I get this anoying click or popping sound when the ignition is turned off even if the radio is off. Searching other car audio forums suggest that the problem is that when the amp goes off the noise is generated. Still looking into how to correct this but overall the stereo works well, a big improvement over the CDR-23 even with the same amp and speakers.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:08 AM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by edes300
In my case I get this anoying click or popping sound when the ignition is turned off even if the radio is off. Searching other car audio forums suggest that the problem is that when the amp goes off the noise is generated. Still looking into how to correct this but overall the stereo works well, a big improvement over the CDR-23 even with the same amp and speakers.
Converting the MOST based systems to mate aftermarket HUs is not without it's drawbacks like the popping sound you hear. Here's my hypothesis... Normally, with a MOST based head-unit, you have digital output signal that "talks" to the amps or other peripherals. These types of more modern audio systems mute the digital audio signal feeding the amp BEFORE the 12V switched current to the amp is turned off. The head unit that you are using is NOT muting the pre-amp output BEFORE the 12V switched output to the amp is turned off.

This problem is similar to a electric guitar player connecting to an amplifier/speaker with the volume output wide on the instrument wide open and the gain turned up on the amp. When the phone plug from the guitar is connected, you hear a loud pop because the positive terminal of the male phone plug touches the ground in the female connector of the amp. Since these amplifiers produce an enormous amount of sound pressure, the popping sound can be deafening.

Try a simple test - mute or turn the volume on the HU to it's lowest level, then turn off the car. Does it still pop?

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 05-02-2018 at 07:11 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ***Install aftermarket head unit in MOST car WITHOUT removing factory amp***