996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Cabrio Top issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Joe Cashen is an unknown quantity at this point
996 Cabrio Top issues

Hello,
I would appreciate your advice. I have a 1999 (996) Cabriolet with a topstuck in the open position.When I pushthe close button, the clamshell opens but the top will not rise.I can’ hear any sounds being made at thispoint that would indicate the top is trying to rise/close.This started happening sporadically about amonth ago, but it would always raise after repeated tries.Also, I had an independent shop check and topoff my hydraulic fluid within the last 3 months so I don’t think that would bethe cause.The hydraulic cylindersthemselves were replaced with rebuilt units 3 years ago.If it matters, the car has a manual transmissionand 87k miles.
Thanks for any help on where to start diagnosing this.
Joe

Old 09-23-2016, 07:00 AM
dporto is on a distinguished road
Do a search - there have been a few threads on similar problems recently. I would guess that the micro switches on the "wings" under the clamshell have stopped working. It seems there are several reasons for this - could be the switch has gone bad (electronic), or that it has stopped making contact (physical) and something needs to be adjusted. Good luck

Old 09-23-2016, 11:34 AM
lomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud of
Step 1 is the Clamshell opening. You say this happens so you are good there.

Step 2 is for the lateral flaps to retract. Is this happening? If not you can insert an allen wrench in where the hardtop mounts and manually crank them down.

Step 3 is after the lateral flaps go down the top should start to come up.

Best of luck. I have had to replace both lateral flap motors because they just got so week they would not actuate any longer.

Report back to us and see if any of this helps.

Marc

Old 09-24-2016, 10:09 AM
Thank you. Step 2 is the issue. I don't have the Allan wrench that came with the car. Do you know what size I need?

Old 09-24-2016, 10:33 AM
lomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud of
You will need a fairly long 5mm allen wrench. If you pop off the plastic cap that covers the hole where the hard top pins fit in you can see the allen socket just to the side of the hard top pin hole. You will need to do a lot of turns in order to get the flaps retracted all the way.

I had to replace both of my flap motor assemblies because with age they just got too weak to actuate the flaps.

Please keep in mind that when you do this the top will get out of sync and once it is fixed the dealer or indy will need to recalibrate the top. I assume at this point the object is just to get the top up.

The owners manual has a good write up on how to manually open and close the top. I thought there was a good write up here somewhere but I can't find it right now.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:38 AM
Thanks. Found a wrench that worked and voila, the top is now up. Would you mind sharing how much the motor repair cost? Is this a possible DIY job?

Old 09-24-2016, 01:51 PM
It cost me about $1600 to have both motor assemblies done at an independent shop using new Porsche parts. I see tons of used ones on E-Bay for about $100 each but there is probably a reason they are being sold, ie they don't work. I would assume there are aftermarket ones out there also.

I suppose it could be a DIY if you are fairly handy but the top would still need to be calibrated at a dealer or Indy. My Durametric would not calibrate it.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by lomax
It cost me about $1600 to have both motor assemblies done at an independent shop using new Porsche parts. I see tons of used ones on E-Bay for about $100 each but there is probably a reason they are being sold, ie they don't work. I would assume there are aftermarket ones out there also.

I suppose it could be a DIY if you are fairly handy but the top would still need to be calibrated at a dealer or Indy. My Durametric would not calibrate it.
Would you happen to know the part number?

Old 09-24-2016, 02:30 PM
Looks like the left would be 99656167500 and the right would be 99656167600. I found that information here.

http://www.porscheatlantaperimeterpa...rm=side%20flap

Labor was about 2 hours per side. They also replaced the micro switches 99656168500 and 99656168600 which are further down on the page.

You're killing me man. I only get $50 per hour for this.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:22 PM
Thanks! I appreciate the help.