996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

2001 996 driver headlight problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 06:54 PM
Jetman 7 is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 996 driver headlight problems

On my '01 996 driver side headlight assembly the high beam bulb, fog light bulb are dim always. Replaced the headlight switch with no luck. If I turn high beams on and activate left turn signal it does not blink but passenger side does. The left front and rear turn signal bulbs will illuminate dimly but not blink until highbeams are turned off. Also if fog lights are on, same thing as high beam problem. Everything on passenger light assembly is perfect always. All new bulbs in driver side assembly except for the HID low beam. Both side low beams work fine. Both headlight actuators in assemblies work. In the wiring diagram the high beam, fog light and turn signal bulbs all share the same ground but not power. Low beams have their own ground. It just baffles me that this is happening. I've inspected the connector pins and plugs, wiring going to headlight and internal inspection of driver assembly. It all looks fine with no wires shorting. Could this be a bad headlight assembly or maybe a stalk problem?

Old 09-23-2016, 08:07 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I had a recurring problem with my turn signal and after multiple bulb changes, etc. I re-checked the locking mechanism that locks the head lamp assembly and realized it wasn't secure. Sounds like you've had the assembly out a few times - make sure when you re-install that get the loud locking noise to indicate it's secure. Hope it's as simple as not a good connection and that this solves it. Long shot.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking of taking off the driver side wheel well and seeing how the connector seats together with the plug. I hope it's something of the sort. Thanks again.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Found the problem. The headlight base bracket that holds the connector for the headlight plug is broken. Took off wheel well and wiggled it in. Voila. Everything is good again. Thanks very much!

Old 11-01-2022, 03:38 PM
Porsche99 is on a distinguished road
Jettman!!

Originally Posted by Jetman 7
On my '01 996 driver side headlight assembly the high beam bulb, fog light bulb are dim always. Replaced the headlight switch with no luck. If I turn high beams on and activate left turn signal it does not blink but passenger side does. The left front and rear turn signal bulbs will illuminate dimly but not blink until highbeams are turned off. Also if fog lights are on, same thing as high beam problem. Everything on passenger light assembly is perfect always. All new bulbs in driver side assembly except for the HID low beam. Both side low beams work fine. Both headlight actuators in assemblies work. In the wiring diagram the high beam, fog light and turn signal bulbs all share the same ground but not power. Low beams have their own ground. It just baffles me that this is happening. I've inspected the connector pins and plugs, wiring going to headlight and internal inspection of driver assembly. It all looks fine with no wires shorting. Could this be a bad headlight assembly or maybe a stalk problem?
I see you posted this question on Pelican recently 10/29/2022 for the same reason as above. Can you tell me if you have resolved this? Below, I see you fixed the problem by replacing the connector but you reposted the same symptoms on pelican.
I have the same exact problems