996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Should I buy??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 09:38 AM
alwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond repute
Should I buy??

Hello guys,

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2003 Black/Black C4S manual with a bad IMS bearing. The car is clean inside and out. As most of us know, there is a good chance the valves could be bent and motor wasted. My question is what would a C4s of this vintage with good brakes, tires, suspension and clutch and a freshly swapped engine from Porsche retail for with 49k on the body? Additionally, would having a swapped motor from Porsche with all proper documentation keep someone from purchasing it from a private seller? All suggestions welcomed.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by alwaysnboost
Hello guys,

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2003 Black/Black C4S manual with a bad IMS bearing. The car is clean inside and out. As most of us know, there is a good chance the valves could be bent and motor wasted. My question is what would a C4s of this vintage with good brakes, tires, suspension and clutch and a freshly swapped engine from Porsche retail for with 49k on the body? Additionally, would having a swapped motor from Porsche with all proper documentation keep someone from purchasing it from a private seller? All suggestions welcomed.
Does the car have a freshly swapped (replacement) engine from Porsche?

The fact the original engine failed and was replaced with a replacement engine from Porsche will put some off the car.

Is there a warranty on the engine?

If the car has the replacement engine then treat the car like a used car it is and give it a through checkout. Road test and inspect the car like a good used car shopper.

For prices I refer people to the various used car pricing sites (NADA and KBB) for what the sites have to "say" regarding prices.

If the original and failed engine is still in the car then the car is just a roller. You can't really make any call about the car's condition because you can't road test the car you can't experience the car on the road being driven like you intend to drive the car.

Plus you have to know what a replacement engine from Porsche costs.

By way of some comparison, a year or two back I "priced" a new/replacement Porsche engine for my 2002 Boxster 2.7l car: $17K with a suitable core; $26K without a core.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:26 PM
jeffz is an unknown quantity at this point
I would think if whoever diagnosed the "bad" IMS bearing found only a small amount of debris in the oil filter and sump, the owner would have opted to do the IMS upgrade and pray the next (early) oil change finds a clean engine. Since he's selling, you have to assume the worst. May be a prime candidate for an LS 1 engine swap!

Old 11-17-2016, 04:48 PM
MoeMonney will become famous soon enough
1. If the car had IMS bearing failure the most I thing the car is worth is 9K as a roller. I would offer less

2. If the car still hasnt had IMS bearing failure its still risky if there was debri in the engine oil from a failing IMSB and will still need a rebuild. at most the car would be worth 13K in my opinion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.