996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Deciding which to buy...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 12:06 AM
Secular996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Deciding which to buy...

Hello all,

Firstly let me tell you... i just stumbled upon this car probably a week ago. I am a 24 y/o mechanical engineer @ Dmax ( turbo diesel engine for chevy/GMC) and never thought in a million years i could own not just a porsche 911.. but the 996.. one of my favorite body styles, for this cheap (18-35k).

I currently own a 475ish rwhp(or will be when i finish installing boltons and tuning) 06 E55 AMG. An 04 full bolt-on and dyno tuned 260rwhp 04 g35 coupe and have owned many cars before those but those are the only 2 i have ever tinkered with. I absolutely adore my G35 as it was my first "quick" car i ever owned and definitely the car that got me into cars. Its nimble, quick, and an overall fun car to drive but i have been prepping myself to sell it for about 6 months now as i bought this E55 AMG about 4 months ago. Basically, i found out that straight line speed gets boring and i want to get back into a smaller car that i can throw around the corners, daily, and just have fun with. YES, this is going to be my daily for all of the summer until i pick up a winter beater.

Moral of the story is... I am selling both the merc and the G and buying a MK2 996 911. Im looking for a car i can track occasionally, autoX occasionally, also daily, that isn't going to break on me(too much... its a 12-14 year old car, i do not expect there to be 0 problems) as i run my cars pretty hard ( but always take care of them). Here's my problem...

DO I GET...

C4S:
Awd, widebody, Love the sound of the NA motor, can be had with 50k or so miles for 30k or less, 3300ish lbs

C2: RWD, Non widebody, Still love the sound of the NA motor, Can be had for 18-25k with 50k or so miles on it, 2900 ish lbs..

OR

Turbo:
awd, stretch for money as most go with 70-100k miles for 35-45k, 3300ish lbs, much more hps

NOW... if i go with a NA motor (that sound though...) I will likely build the car from the ground up. Starting with suspension and mounts and end up either turbo or SC(i probably wouldnt do this if i thought i could get 350whp out of NA without spending hella money), exhaust, intake, MAYBE plenum & TB (after reading a few threads maybe not...im seeing that it leans out some of the cylinders in the higher RPMs but produces more down low power..Can anyone confirm?), and be shooting overall for around 400ish whp.

So the c2 is obviously very attractive because i have heard with the LW suspension, LWFW, LW wheels and a couple other deletes... you can get down to 27XX ish lbs.. at 400 whp would be crazy fun in a straight line or in the corners.. but the C4S draws me in with those hips... and the AWD would be extremely attractive for the winter if i am forced to drive it in the winter but shes so heavy..

Pretty much im 98% not going to go with turbo unless i find a bangin deal on one and cant pass it up when i am ready to buy ( 6 months or so from now )

Also, outside of the IMS and RMS problems... i cant seem to find any other big issues that stick out to me.. I've heard random stuff like scoring, leaking copious amounts of oil, etc.. but seem to be intermittent in the platform.

Requirements:
Manual, coupe, below 70k miles, color doesn't matter(except yellow... no.)

I would love to test one of these but there are almost zero around me within 100 miles and right now work is hot an heavy(13 hour shifts..6 sometimes 7 days a week) so i don't have the time to do it right now. just looking for opinions.

Thanks for all your help and guidance!

Old 01-03-2017, 10:56 AM
JohnCA58 will become famous soon enough
Old 01-03-2017, 11:54 AM
Secular996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Agreed, love the car... I replied to that post a few days ago and PM d him but no reply. I'm also trying to buy in 6 montjs..

Old 01-03-2017, 01:16 PM
Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !
I have had a few of these cars... first off 400 whp wont happen with bolt ons, most 3.6L 996s with intake/exhaust mods and tune hit about 310-320 max. you are on the right track with weight reductions on the C2's, brakes and suspension will make a very noticeable difference. In my opinion the best mods you can do to these cars is clutch, flywheel, and diff (LSD makes a big difference).

Old 01-06-2017, 02:01 AM
911Toronto is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Secular996
Agreed, love the car... I replied to that post a few days ago and PM d him but no reply. I'm also trying to buy in 6 montjs..
Sorry bud, never got your PM and been off the site for a while. I'm motivated to move the car before month end so let's talk and I'll make you an awsome deal.

By the way, Titan motorsports in Orlando dynoed my car a few years ago at about 420.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.