996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

C4 Cab Top ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 09:09 AM
Bobwombat is on a distinguished road
C4 Cab Top ?

Can the wise Forum please settle a discussion between me & the wife re: her 2002 C4 Cab top?

Specifically, wife says the best way to routinely store the Cab top is with it fully extended/up rather than folded down as I tend to do. I said the reason the top is in perfect shape is possibly because it spent so much time folded down & not exposed to the elements.

The car has 29k miles & is pristine including the top & we hope to keep it that way. So, while this isn't the most pressing or technical issue, we are both wondering if there is a preferred way of storing the Cab top; up or down.

Thx in advance to the Forum for the help! Bob in AZ/USA

Old 01-10-2017, 06:41 PM
LuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud of
Garage kept or does she live outside?

Old 01-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Always garage kept, Lucky. Any thoughts? Thx much! Bob

Old 01-11-2017, 05:20 AM
LuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud of
Garage kept is certainly best due to elements and UV exposure. Obviously keeping it clean will also lengthen it's life.

The longevity of your top's components relies mostly on use, so the less times it is operated the better.

There are plenty of varying opinions on keeping it latched or unlatched, That stuff aside, the majority of companies suggest to keep the top UP for long term storage to avoid "creasing" of the fabric in the folding areas.

So sadly my man, I would let the wife win on this one, but I wouldn't tell her you asked around, just tell her that you've done a lot of thinking and you agree with her.
Women love when you agree

Old 01-11-2017, 08:31 AM
Excellent advice, Lucky! Hope this wasn't a frivolous & ridiculous question to begin with but where else would I turn for definitive advice even on the small stuff? Ok, the top stays up & I will grovel before my lovely bride. Thx again for the thoughts! Bob

Old 01-11-2017, 09:07 AM
The only ridiculous questions are the one that go unasked.
Assumption is the mother of all f*kups.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:35 PM
Lucky, I told the wife we wouldn't be having this discussion if we trade her car in for a 4S Coupe! Thx again! Bob

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.