996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Convertible top not working... easy fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 01:57 PM
MrOz is on a distinguished road
Convertible top not working... easy fix?

Hi guys,
running into a problem with the top on my 1999 cab.
I think this "should" be an easy fix, but I'm running into difficulties.

The flap mechanism (see photo) on the driver side won't fold up
& down anymore... which in turn make the entire top not work.

The plastic piece/rod in this photo I think, is part of the culprit. I made out of pour plastic, (because I couldn't find this rod available from Porsche). There is no part number on the PET program & no part # on the part itself). What is the issue with the rod I made?: The plastic bends when it get warm outside. Then the flap doesn't work anymore (going up & down). Which means my top won't complete its "cycle".

If I remove the rod, I think there still may be an issue. The motor that drives to rod makes NO sound. I'm wondering if anyone out there has had one of these drive motors go bad? Anyone had one of these black plastic rods break, or go missing? Anybody have issues with these little side flaps going up & down?

Thanks MUCH for whoever can offer some advice. ;o) Not sure why this rod isn't able to be found on Porsches PET program.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170124_112514.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	912.4 KB
ID:	468429  

Last edited by MrOz; 01-24-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:55 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
No Cab top experience to offer.

You might find something of value here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Mechanism.htm

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.