996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

AOS repair diaphragm available?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 07:07 PM
PorscheFred is on a distinguished road
AOS repair diaphragm available?!

Hi guys!

Just wondering if you've heard of a repair diaphragm part for 996/986 AOS. There's a guy on eBay selling a diaphragm replacement for a 986 AOS for $14.60. The item number is 381944508835 and can be found here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381944508835...witem=&vxp=mtr

I asked the seller if he had a write-up or know where to find one. I've searched in various Porsche forums and have not found any yet, many of pictures of the AOS internals but no write-up.I know the part is fairly inexpensive and the diaphragm cover is plastic-welded so, please spare me the lecture!
I believe the diaphragm cover could be removed successfully and then epoxied or JB-weld back together with the new part installed. I also think the AOS are very similar between 986 and 996 and that they probably use the same/similar diaphragm and just vary on the orientation so, is this doable? Has anyone attempted it?

Thanks beforehand for your comments.

Fred Larracuente
==================
Sunday driver - '73 914-4 1.7 Alaska Blue - Soon to have a 2010 VW 2.0LT
Daily driver - '03 Carrera 4S Seal Grey - K&N CAI, SS Headers, 2010 19" C4S Rims, European Parts roller IMS with Oil feed, 160deg Thermostat

Old 02-02-2017, 08:26 AM
sjg1138 will become famous soon enoughsjg1138 will become famous soon enough
Thats a great idea. I know that on the Cayenne the diaphragm is easily replaceable (I bought one from some guy in Russia). In the past I have "welded" plastic together using a hot soldering iron.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Not every 996 AOS failure involves a failed diaphragm. Sometimes the housing fails and there can be a coolant leak sometimes external only other times the coolant leaks into the crankcase and mixes with the oil.

Based on what know first hand and 2nd hand about AOS failures I have to believe a diaphragm replacement to salvage a failed AOS -- even if the AOS is bad because of just the diaphragm (for now) -- is really false economy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.