996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Wet Seat Belt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 07:53 AM
charha01 can only hope to improve
Wet Seat Belt

This is kind of a strange one, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone else has experienced this. I live in the Seattle area so my car sees plenty of rain. On especially rainy days I notice that my seat belt is a little damp feeling when I pull it across my chest. I've looked but cannot see any leaks, and don't hear any air whistling when driving, so I'm not sure where the water could be coming from. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Old 03-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by charha01
This is kind of a strange one, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone else has experienced this. I live in the Seattle area so my car sees plenty of rain. On especially rainy days I notice that my seat belt is a little damp feeling when I pull it across my chest. I've looked but cannot see any leaks, and don't hear any air whistling when driving, so I'm not sure where the water could be coming from. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Is the belt truly damp/wet or just cold?

If the belt is wet and if it doesn't retract fully and the slack belt is down around the door bottom this can be a sign the door has a water leak.

Check the bottoms of the doors. If damp (or wet) this is likely a door membrane that is letting water from the wet side of the door get over to the dry side then water seeps out around the bottom and the carpet along the bottom of the door is wet.

Also, I'll take this opportunity to reinforce how important it is to check the body water drains for any signs of blockage. These drains must be kept clear of trash (plant/leaf litter).

Old 03-13-2017, 08:28 AM
charha01 can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by Macster
Is the belt truly damp/wet or just cold?

If the belt is wet and if it doesn't retract fully and the slack belt is down around the door bottom this can be a sign the door has a water leak.

Check the bottoms of the doors. If damp (or wet) this is likely a door membrane that is letting water from the wet side of the door get over to the dry side then water seeps out around the bottom and the carpet along the bottom of the door is wet.

Also, I'll take this opportunity to reinforce how important it is to check the body water drains for any signs of blockage. These drains must be kept clear of trash (plant/leaf litter).
Thanks! I'll do some checking. Where are the body water drains located? Are they easy to spot or will I need a lift?

Old 03-13-2017, 10:09 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by charha01
Thanks! I'll do some checking. Where are the body water drains located? Are they easy to spot or will I need a lift?
No lift is necessary.

There are body water drains on either side of the battery box -- which is located under the front trunk lid up close to the windshield. You will probably need a Torx tool kit with the security bits -- small hole in the center of the tool bit to clear a pip in the center of the screw where the tool bit fits -- to remove the covers that are over the water drains. These front drains are common to AFAIK all modern Porsches. My 2002 Boxster has them as does my 2003 Turbo and so too did my 2008 Cayman S.

The catch basins are styrofoam and should be treated with care. You do not want to break or crack this stuff as it would then let water seep into areas Porsche deems it important to keep free of any water.

Likewise do not jam something down the drain hole to clear an obstruction as you do not want the tear or damage the drain hose/pipe. This could let water then run into areas where water should not be.

I just use my hands to remove and pick out the trash and then pour water into the basin and confirm the water drains right out.

I do not know where the body drains are for the rear of your car. Also, the sunroof may have water drains (small ones at any rate). You'll have to possibly consult the owners manual or next time at the dealer have one of the techs show you where the drains are.

While I am careful to avoid parking under trees occasionally I can't help but end up near or even under a tree and sometimes wind will carry leaves to my care regardless. So whenever I open either trunk of my Boxster or the front trunk or engine compartment lid of my Turbo I remove any leaves that have collected. This then keeps them from making their way further possibly into a water drain.

Might take this opportunity to also remind you the radiator ducts can collect a lot of trash. The car is just one big hoover vacuum cleaner when the radiator fans are running and anything that the wind or a vehicle ahead kicks up will get pulled into the radiator duct. This stuff collects down low and can get pulled into the gap between the A/C condenser and the radiator which sits behind the condensor.

In some cases one can with care use a vacuum cleaner with a slender nozzle attachment to vacuum out the worst of this. When I have my cars in the shop for service the techs blow the trash out with shop air and an air nozzle with a long flexible hose. But they have standing orders to if it is believed necessary to remove the bumper cover to really clean the trash out -- which can in severe cases require the A/C condenser be unbolted and carefully swung out of the way to get at the area behind the condensor and ahead of the radiator -- to do so and I will pay the hour's labor.

One can remove the bumper cover but there are a number of hard to find fasteners. If you go this route be sure you carefully note where every fastener came from and the type to get these back where they belong. Note too how the plastic bumper cover and the underbody panels fit together so you can put this all back the right way. Techs tell me they can always tell when someone that is not familar with the car has been at the bumper cover. Screws are in the wrong holes, or missing and the panels are not layered properly which can create air/wind noise and in the rain can act as scoops to direct water to the areas above the plastic planels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.