996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

buying a c2 recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 03:09 PM
anorphirith is an unknown quantity at this point
buying a c2 recommendations

So i've done some research online about buying a used C2 and I found out about the IMS problem and the cylinders ovaling problems. IMS is pretty straight forward, get the kit and get it done, or buy one already fixed. and the water pump and other small problems I can probably fix myself so I'm not too worried about that.
but how do I detect cylinders ovaling / going wrong ? I'm looking to spend less than $15K so all my choices will have high mileage. any thing else I should be worried about that will require me to remove the engine?
thanks !

Old 03-21-2017, 06:50 AM
RngTrtl is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by anorphirith
So i've done some research online about buying a used C2 and I found out about the IMS problem and the cylinders ovaling problems. IMS is pretty straight forward, get the kit and get it done, or buy one already fixed. and the water pump and other small problems I can probably fix myself so I'm not too worried about that.
but how do I detect cylinders ovaling / going wrong ? I'm looking to spend less than $15K so all my choices will have high mileage. any thing else I should be worried about that will require me to remove the engine?
thanks !
I hate to say this but you are trying buy a cheap Porsche, there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche. if you spend 15k to buy it, there will inevitably be 5-7 k worth of **** wrong with it. Honest opinion for you is to save up another 5k and buy a decent one that is properly sorted out.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:37 AM
Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !
I have had several 996s (I just added a 2001 to my collection) and I drive my cars very very hard. I am not afraid of high miles on these cars, as long as they maintained. 996s are fairly simple cars, and when they hit higher miles they will need things like suspension components, brake components replaced, and when you do the IMS you might as well do the clutch and fly wheel, but you can replace all that stuff with performance parts and really make the car run and drive better.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:16 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
thanks !
Find a car in good condition that passes a thorough road test then a PPI.

This would be a good sign then the car isn't currently suffering from "oval" cylinders.

Then drive the car and give it proper servicing. The cylinders go "oval" primarily due to inadequate lubrication and about all you can do to avoid this is ensure you use an approved oil, one with the viscosity grade suitable for where you live and drive and change the oil often enough the engine isn't asked to make do with thin/contaminated oil.

(With proper servicing these engines can run a long time. My 2002 Boxster has almost 310K miles and has had regular servicing as in 5K mile oil/filter changes (and other servicing when due on miles or time). While I can't know how "oval" the cylinders are the engine starts promptly, cold or hot idles smooth and quiet, still runs like a scalded cat when I step on the gas pedal, continues to use oil (and gas) sparingly. All of which s suggest to me if the cylinders are "oval" they ain't that "oval". So I don't worry about it.)

If you want to do something with the IMSB that's up to you.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:38 PM
anorphirith is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Macster
Find a car in good condition that passes a thorough road test then a PPI.
thanks for the infos.
whats a PPI test ?

Old 03-24-2017, 12:56 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
thanks for the infos.
whats a PPI test ?
Pre-Purchase Inspection

Old 03-24-2017, 02:36 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
thanks for the infos.
whats a PPI test ?
As MkC2S stated it stands for pre-purchase inspection.

What it is is a, well, a pre-purchase inspection but done by someone very knowledgeable about the car being inspected, knows all its problem areas (which given the car is just a used car these can run the gamut from A to Z), and has the experience and equipment to say read the DME overrev counters with time stamps and the engine run time and go over with you what if anything the info says.

Additionally the PPI tech should be a savvy general auto mechanic/tech who can spot accident damage or something amiss besides just a leaking water pump.

You job is to learn to check out a used car, Porsche in this case, so you can eliminate cars that would fail a PPI. This also eliminates cars you should not buy.

It is my opinion on this subject of PPI that one should only PPI one car and that is the car he ends up buying.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:16 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
you need to buy a 2002-2004 you will have to spend 18-22 for one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.