996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Advice on suspension improvements on a Cab?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 04:18 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Its funny, most people say, "if I tracked my car, I would do coilovers..."..Coilovers are not just for the track....the idea is that A...its a matched spring/shock combo, that is height adjustable...Which means it can grow with you if you need....say you have 18's now....then you lower it to taste, but in the future you go 19's and wanna change the ride height...you can....or you decide you want to go lower or higher depending on your clearance requirements....again, your choice. Also the dampening adjustment can be adjusted in minutes...say you have a nice canyon you drive once or twice a month...or track days...on those days you can adjust for a stiffer, more firm setup, and then put it back to be compliant for your daily drive....again, you can go from BETTER to stock ride to STIFF...thats your preference....add sway bars if you want....I think its the best situation...I have NEVER heard of someone going from M030's to PSS9's (and alot do it) and saying that its not a big difference in favor of the PSS9's...My car is a daily driver, 125k miles on the clock and LOVING my PSS9's....

Old 02-24-2007, 04:49 PM
RODNEY996 is on a distinguished road
i also have a cab and i want to improve its handling... on another note... my hardtop squeeks like crazy around turns and bumps.. any suggestions?

Old 02-24-2007, 04:55 PM
jkb
jkb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Redridge
PSS9 will not cure body roll... mediocre at best, PSS9 will give you a stock to a stiffer ride. Stiffer will give less roll but who wants a jarring ride. Lowering will help as well but not that drastic. In your case the best way you can minimize body roll is a stiffer sway bar... However, the stiffer the bar the more you give up on your independent suspension... so it really depends on what your looking for. ROW030 is a excellent suspension, for you I thinks its weakness is its sways. I would try H&R rears only... and if you want more do the front... you can do this yourself and its relatively cheaper than buying PSS9's... If you want a more agressive setup then, baby steps for now.... Im an engineer (electrical) also, I hope youre not an ME if you are shame on you.
heh.. not ME, i am CS/math. yeah, it sounds like i'll try sway bars first.

any explanation on why my front inner wheel lifts up when cornering? is that something that front swaybar would fix?

if swaybars dont help, PSS9 will be next.

the thing about PSS9 is that i'd rather not spend money and save toward new 997S with PASM

Old 02-24-2007, 04:57 PM
alprus is on a distinguished road
I don't disagree with you. But, many people who put coilovers on do not use them even close to the full capability. In fact many drivers never reach the capability of the stock suspension, let alone the ROW. I can't tell you how many people i have blown away on the track who have had completely modded cars. Not that i am the best driver. It is like they say, learn to drive your car to its full capabiltiy in stock form, and then mod it.

I think (and I may be wrong, not trying to start a battle here) that coilovers are mostly used for asthetic purposes and the bling factor. You clearly use them the way they should be used. But i know many who talk about their coils and how cool they are, and can't drive worth a damn.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jkb
heh.. not ME, i am CS/math. yeah, it sounds like i'll try sway bars first.

any explanation on why my front inner wheel lifts up when cornering? is that something that front swaybar would fix?

if swaybars dont help, PSS9 will be next.

the thing about PSS9 is that i'd rather not spend money and save toward new 997S with PASM
I dont know if you noticed but there is no engine in the front It less stiff and less weight up theren more prone to bending up there, yes sways will help it keep it down. But its worse on a cab than on a coupe... Put the sways, I think you will like the improvement.

Last edited by Redridge; 02-24-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:15 PM
jkb
I dont know if you noticed but there is no engine in the front
haha.. funny thing -- when i was given a boxster loaner i had a friend of mine (blond girl) so confused as to where the engine was since there is a storage space on both the front and back of the car

It less stiff and less weight up theren more prone to bending up there, yes sways will help it keep it down. But its worse on a cab than on a coupe... Put the sways, I think you will like the improvement.
yeah... do you recommend GT3 or H&R??

Old 02-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Im assuming you dont track...and roll is more of a priority, H&R is solid spring steel and alot of TT guys use it for the AWD setup and is more stiff than the GT3 bars (which are hollows). Though GT3 are cheaper... I would lean towards more of the H&R.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:24 PM
996 Convert is on a distinguished road
I've got x74 on my cab and love it. I have my first track day on the new suspension next weekend so I'll have a better feel for them. On the streets of DC, x74 is pretty rough but on smoother roads, it is a dream.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:38 PM
jkb
Im assuming you dont track...and roll is more of a priority, H&R is solid spring steel and alot of TT guys use it for the AWD setup and is more stiff than the GT3 bars (which are hollows). Though GT3 are cheaper... I would lean towards more of the H&R.
i dont track as much due to the fact that its hard to track a convertible. but i do auto-cross, car control clinics and other similar events where convertibles are OK.

are H&Rs adjustable just like GT3 ones are?

Old 02-24-2007, 05:46 PM
jkb
Originally Posted by 996 Convert
I've got x74 on my cab and love it. I have my first track day on the new suspension next weekend so I'll have a better feel for them. On the streets of DC, x74 is pretty rough but on smoother roads, it is a dream.
i remember reading somewhere X74 is not designed for cabs due to some rigidity issues or something like that.

was it disinformation? do they make X74 for cabs???

by the way, the roads are VERY BAD here in San Francisco Bay Area.

thanks...

Old 02-24-2007, 06:04 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
not to beat a dead horse, but bad roads = PSS9s....

Old 02-24-2007, 06:05 PM
H&R are 3 way adjustable and gt3 are 5... Though I heard, that the gt3 fronts cant be adjusted in 2 of the other positions due to the geometry of the fronts or was in the rear?

Old 02-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by newport996
The beauty of PSS9 are its dampening adjustablity... no other has it in the price range, my reason for mounting it on mines

Old 02-24-2007, 06:12 PM
996 Convert is on a distinguished road
I think I read something where there might have been an issue for early-996 cabs, but I have an 03 like yourself and there are no issues with the x74. As for bad roads, it's probably a toss up between here and there.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:45 PM
jkb
Originally Posted by newport996
the horse has been beaten, tortured, shot and killed. the head ended up in some guys bedroom

yeah, i see your point about PSS9 and totally appreciate all the feedback. your strong feelings about PSS9 online means one thing: its awesome.

i just need to get somebody with a clue to drive my car and see what exactly do i need: PSS9 or swaybars. maybe ROW M030 is good enough and if it is, i'd rather save PSS9 money for other stuff...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advice on suspension improvements on a Cab?