996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 RS Mounts??????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:35 AM
ZEMDOGG is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dervish
Installed the RS motor mounts today, replacing the stock mounts (993 part number ??) with RS hard rubber mounts. The hard rubber motor mounts reduce the flex of the drivetrain and provide firmer feedback from the engine and transmission. They have less rubber than stock but still enough to reduce most of the noise and the vibration.

I followed this install from p-car http://p-car.com/diy/motormount/ It's for a 993 but shows you the steps to follow.
A few tips from me are make sure you have a long enough socket extension as the underside nuts are tricky to reach. Also, the socket itself needs to be fairly deep as the bolt screws through the nut quite far. (I got around this by using the wheel nut socket found in the Porsche tool kit) You will have to remove the airbox and emission pump to gain access to the mounts. The instructions call for 2 people at one stage, one to hold the top nut as you tighten and torque the lower one. I got round this by having long arms and using a spanner on the top nut.

Ok, pics.
STOCK MOUNTS

RS MOTOR MOUNTS

Comparing the single piece stock mount with the RS parts (1 side only)

I haven't really had a chance for a proper drive yet but started her up and there is slightly more vibration throughout the cabin but only marginal. Can't wait for a long drive tomorrow
Good deal! Everything feels more solid and trust me the vibration is more noticable while driving. Let us know what you think : )