996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

The Official 996 C4S Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.90 average.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:20 AM
Mr Fish Tank is on a distinguished road
nice wing Chris

Old 10-07-2015, 07:53 AM
mannn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wataame8008

03 Porsche 996 C4S
no bumperettes!!! looks so much nicer!

Old 10-19-2015, 02:03 PM
nyjetfan is on a distinguished road
Help once again! anyone ever hear of front Differential A bearing or bearing in general failure on a 99 C4? and can it be just replaced ? thank you for any advice or help..

Old 10-26-2015, 02:06 AM
wataame8008 is on a distinguished road

Old 11-02-2015, 05:44 AM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mannn
no bumperettes!!! looks so much nicer!
Yes, looks very good without the bumperettes.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:52 AM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Phoenix604
Gotta get the front
Looking good Phoenix604. I have an 04, same color but a cab. I have 125,xxx on mine and daily drive it also. I get complements everyday and many non porsche folks don't know what year it is. Great car and keep it real Brother. Cheers!

Old 11-03-2015, 09:09 PM
eSon is on a distinguished road
figured it was time for me to share a pic!

Old 11-06-2015, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by eSon
figured it was time for me to share a pic!

Wow, eSon, your car looks spectacular. Cheers

Old 11-24-2015, 06:10 AM
Stone_05 is on a distinguished road
Because it's been a while...... Even after years of ownership. Still love this car!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	551.7 KB
ID:	433507   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0727.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	588.0 KB
ID:	433508  
Old 11-27-2015, 10:46 AM
vdubjetta02 is on a distinguished road
Hey guys.... I have came across (3) different C4s for sale in the past month and it is a car I have wanted for the past 5 years. I have always had the money for one but for whatever reason I have always ended up going a different path (Audi S4's, Jeep SRT8, and now currently a Golf R)

The only dilemma I have is that the 997 Carerra S seems to be only slightly more expensive but with more Horsepower.

I have read extensively that the IPD Plenum really doesn't do anything for the C4s. My mod list would consist of : lightweight racing wheels for unsprung weight, coilovers, intake and muffler bypass.... guess I really just wanted feedback from those of you who have slightly modified C4s and see if there was any buyers remorse or If you wish you would be in a 997s or similar car instead

Cheers! and hope you all had a great thanksgiving.

*eSon -> Love your car!!

Last edited by vdubjetta02; 11-27-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by vdubjetta02
Hey guys.... I have came across (3) different C4s for sale in the past month and it is a car I have wanted for the past 5 years. I have always had the money for one but for whatever reason I have always ended up going a different path (Audi S4's, Jeep SRT8, and now currently a Golf R)

The only dilemma I have is that the 997 Carerra S seems to be only slightly more expensive but with more Horsepower.

I have read extensively that the IPD Plenum really doesn't do anything for the C4s. My mod list would consist of : lightweight racing wheels for unsprung weight, coilovers, intake and muffler bypass.... guess I really just wanted feedback from those of you who have slightly modified C4s and see if there was any buyers remorse or If you wish you would be in a 997s or similar car instead

Cheers! and hope you all had a great thanksgiving.

*eSon -> Love your car!!
Hey, I understand your concern about price and power.

C4S is not the car for you. I personally own one and from all reviews I read, the car can deliver pretty much what you get from factory. There is not much room for improvement there.

You can install all sorts of aftermarket parts, gains will be little comparing to money spent.

Desiring more HP, get a turbo, even a 996 TT is faster than a 997 C4S.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:26 PM
vdubjetta02 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mr Fish Tank
Hey, I understand your concern about price and power.

C4S is not the car for you. I personally own one and from all reviews I read, the car can deliver pretty much what you get from factory. There is not much room for improvement there.

You can install all sorts of aftermarket parts, gains will be little comparing to money spent.

Desiring more HP, get a turbo, even a 996 TT is faster than a 997 C4S.
My Close friend and mechanic of 12 years has a 600HP 996TT that he has been trying to sell me for 3 years.... that option is still in play. I have no idea what is wrong with me, but for some reason I want an N/A Porsche after owning 5 turbo cars.... I think the quote (Driving a slow car fast is more fun than a fast car slow) is stuck in my head and partially true to my driving style. I drive really aggressively in corners/turns around town but rarely go more than 5 MPH over the speed limit. So having a "quick" car that I can throw into corners all day long is really what I am after

Old 11-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by vdubjetta02
My Close friend and mechanic of 12 years has a 600HP 996TT that he has been trying to sell me for 3 years.... that option is still in play. I have no idea what is wrong with me, but for some reason I want an N/A Porsche after owning 5 turbo cars.... I think the quote (Driving a slow car fast is more fun than a fast car slow) is stuck in my head and partially true to my driving style. I drive really aggressively in corners/turns around town but rarely go more than 5 MPH over the speed limit. So having a "quick" car that I can throw into corners all day long is really what I am after
NA cars are more consistent in the power band around the track.

A heavily modified car is amazing to own, however they have issues and break more often as well

A stock car is "somewhat" more reliable.

A 996 TT stock is 420hp - 100hp more than the stock 320 of the C4S.

I assure you, you will lack power on the C4S.

Not bashing it, I own one, DD and love it... But I wish I could get more power out of it... The most available is 20hp for the cost of $10k to $20K

If you add those $10K to your budget, it allows you to search for a turbo, that was my point.

If I can give my honest opinion, do a search about models - 996, 997, 991 - see their weak points. Learn about the car before you buy it. Then buy the car the you like the most (993, 996, 997, 991) than the specs C4S or TT, and try to match it withing your budget.

I know my list above will be totally off for some cars (993 and 991) however if you like any shape in particular, just save $$$ for it, and enjoy your new toy.....

Last edited by Mr Fish Tank; 11-30-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:23 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I owned a 996 C4S and I now own a 997 turbo. They are both excellent cars and I have greatly enjoyed owning each of them. That being said, they are very different cars. The 996 was plenty fast enough for me most of the time. It was fun to drive and I thought it was a gorgeous vehicle. The turbo is much more powerful, especially at altitude (I live at ~8,000 feet of elevation). If you're after power, you can't beat the turbo. While the turbo is much more powerful and faster, it does drive a little bit more like a GT car than the C4S. Thankfully it's not too much more, but it's definitely different. The turbo is quieter, smoother and more refined. It feels much more like a "gentleman's sports car" than the 996. I suspect that a 996 turbo would fall somewhere in between the two cars that I have owned.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:49 PM
Coloradocurt is on a distinguished road
Different Strokes for Different Blokes

For the OP, there's really no way any of us can get into your head as to what will most satisfy you. That quote you posted (Driving a slow car fast is more fun than a fast car slow) has some relevance (at least for me). Adding to that, I can spend more of my driving time enjoying great handling than I can tromping on the accelerator.
I built a 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder with a Rotrex supercharged 2.0L stoker engine (about 350 (linear) HP at the crank) in a 2100 lb car, with upgraded handling on par with a Lotus Elise, and eventually concluded that if I had to make a choice, the handling was much more satisfying than the power. But that's just me.
My suggestion (with a Cayman S, 996 C4S and 993 Cab in my recent past), spend some seat time in the various Porsches you're considering, and then evaluate those differences and preferences relative to how you'll be using the car and against whatever mechanical/maintenance weak links each model has.
I double that you want to make a decision based upon a "poll" on here.

Last edited by Coloradocurt; 11-30-2015 at 05:03 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.90 average.

Quick Reply: The Official 996 C4S Thread