996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

DIY - Busted Climate Control Readout

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Jurichar is on a distinguished road
DIY - Busted Climate Control Readout

Well...Awhile back i was fiddleing with something in my car and droped something hard on the glass readout of the climate control. At first it just had a little bleeding on the glass, but eventually it got out of control and the display would flicker and was completely unreadable! Well, it finally bugged me enough to look into fixing. I called up suncoast and they wanted charge me about $400-500 for a new unit.....that wasnt going to work. So i went with option B.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...QQcmdZViewItem

I took the plunge and tried to piece this thing together today. I wouldn't say that it was "easy" but it wasnt horribly hard either. The worst part by far was the modification of the stock internals to adopt this new piece. Anway here are some pics and a little description of what's going on.

Unfortunatly i didn not take a pic of what this thing looked like when it was installed prior to fixing...sorry!

Removal

Removed - you can see the bleeding LCD juice

Deconstruction this wasnt too hard. Just a few screws and pins.

They give you sweet gloves with the kit...So while wearing sweet gloves its only right to make a sweet hand gesture. The shocker seemed appropriate.

This is where it gets tricky. The LCD they send you in the kit is probably 1/8" - 1/4" too big for the stock metal "cage." So i basically trimmed the side pieces off the cage and smoothed them all over w/ some sandpaper. This is a pic halfway throught the process.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:00 PM
These two pics are after the unit was re assembled. There are these little rubber zebra connectors that transfer the electricity from the board to the LCD. In the factory version they fit neatly inside the metal cage, but because i destroyed that they didnt fit quite so nice/neat. Basically, to make it work, i just held everything together i re-assembled. Then you need to take a screwdriver and push the zebra connector back towards the terminals on the board. It makes a really odd angle, but it worked out ok?!? I was worried when i was doing it? -=edit=- afer review i just realized that these pics were taken before i put the big angle on the bottom of the zebra connectors. If you leave them like this the probably wont make a connection. the bottom needs to be pushed toward the middle to make it work....sorry!

Re-assembled and ready for the upcoming major dissapointment!

This last pic was another dicey area to overcome. Basically, because the new glass was bigger, it didnt exactly "fit" into the confines of the plastic internals. Therefore, i had to modify them slightly. What i ended up doing was shaving the side of the big circular "auto" button and a little bit of the plastic "tube" the the button fit into. I used a utility blade as my weapon of choice.

And here is the final product. I think it came out pretty good, I was expecting the readout to be the same as i had before, but it was slightly different as you can tell by the pics. I like it though, better than the ugly bleeding version i had before?!? Lol and this version has "manuell" spelled correctly!!!

Here is a pic of the old LCD before i pitched it....and my little PIA helper friend!

Last edited by Jurichar; 08-01-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:05 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
very nice- thanks for posting!

I WISH we had a dedicated DIY section on this forum. Eventually all the good threads get lost deep down in the old posts... Can anyone talk to the site admin? My emails have gone unanswered.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:05 PM
sorry some of the pics are hazy...blame 1Qwik993...i'm using his old camera

Old 08-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
very nice- thanks for posting!

I WISH we had a dedicated DIY section on this forum. Eventually all the good threads get lost deep down in the old posts... Can anyone talk to the site admin? My emails have gone unanswered.
I'm with you...no real reason not to have that. Renntech has on that has quite a bit of useful goodies burried in it. I will probably post this up over there too eventually.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:15 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
sweet...good work.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:05 AM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
Great post!!! Love the "shocker" props...

Old 08-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Wheelman is on a distinguished road
Very nice and very good info, thanks! Good to know that you don't have to buy a whole new unit if something like this happens. Not bad for $67 and your time.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:54 PM
demosan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Nice job and thanks for your efforts in sharing. Wonder if this is available from the Audi stealers if the eBay source goes away??

+1 on the notion of creating a DYI section as this would be a classic to save !!

Salute!! demosan

Old 08-09-2007, 09:48 AM
profil32 is on a distinguished road
nice DIY!!!

thanks for your time and passion!

Old 08-10-2007, 07:58 PM
racerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to behold
Great info! I have a few segments missing and now I have a reasonable fix. Thanks!

Old 08-10-2007, 10:12 PM
ayaz is on a distinguished road
mine is bleeding on both sides of the lcd. i never dropped anythign on it... it grew bigger and bigger over time, now the screen is unreadable.

thanks for the info!

Old 08-11-2007, 08:07 AM
no prob guys! thats why we have places like 6 speed Feel free to pm if u have any questions or need help!

Old 08-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Another great write up from you... still waiting for sub enclosure pics

Old 01-07-2009, 07:04 PM
911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of
Nice write up! Thanks for posting!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY - Busted Climate Control Readout