996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Noob question about PSS9 expectations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:28 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Noob question about PSS9 expectations

Greetings everyone. Great site. I just bought my first Porsche, a 2003 996 C2. Very nice, clean car.

The previous owner installed the Bilstein PSS9 suspension and it's set quite low. I can barely fit my index finger between the top of the tire and the wheel well in the front. The back has slightly more room. When I push down on the front end it doesn't budge at all. The back does give when I push on it. I'm afraid it might be resting on the bumpstops in the front. When I drove it the 350 miles from where it was purchased to home, the ride seemed harsh even though the damping settings are 8 F/R. Should I have it looked at? Thanks.

Attached Images    
Old 08-08-2007, 10:56 AM
trozenhorse is on a distinguished road
looks tooooo low

Old 08-08-2007, 11:30 AM
vincentw is on a distinguished road
I can barely fit a finger in the crack, but the ride doesn't bother me and there is no rubbing issues.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:40 AM
ericdee has a spectacular aura aboutericdee has a spectacular aura aboutericdee has a spectacular aura about
That's too low. You may want to bring it up an inch or so. The ride will be much better.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:13 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by vincentw
I can barely fit a finger in the crack, but the ride doesn't bother me and there is no rubbing issues.

Mine is as low as this on 19s, ride can get harsh, then again I have KWV3s and they are harder then PSS9s. I love the ride height

Old 08-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
what is the distance from the ground to the highest point of the wheel well, mine is 25.25"f, 25.5"r and it is fine, no issues and comfy at 7/4 f/r.

Check your tire pressure... what are you using, some tires will ride harsh, like pirelli's

Last edited by Redridge; 08-08-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:21 PM
PTarga is on a distinguished road
You are not resting on the bump stops. If you were, when driving, you would literally feel/hear the banging. If you are really concerned, find a specialty shop, not the dealer. All adj susp. are very sensitive to adjustment, so you don't want a novice monkeying around with them.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:33 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Redridge
what is the distance from the ground to the highest point of the wheel well, mine is 25.25"f, 25.5"r and it is fine, no issues and comfy at 7/4 f/r.

Check your tire pressure... what are you using, some tires will ride harsh, like pirelli's
Just measured: 25" F&R. Michelin Pilot Sport tires.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
its a little low, but people here run with 25" all around w/o a hitch, mps are actually comfy tires.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:10 PM
nine9six will become famous soon enoughnine9six will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Redridge

That is not an accurate way to measure since the wheel size and tire size may vary and will greatly affect the distant of the fender to the ground. A more effective way is to measure from the middle of the fender (highest point in the fender) to the center of the wheel hub. This way, no matter how fat or skinny your tires are, it will not affect the measurements for comparison purposes.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
that's not low

Old 08-08-2007, 02:48 PM
flash80 is on a distinguished road
first of all, congrats on the new ride, looks really nice. I'm sure you're not riding on the bump stops--that would be unbearable. What kind of car are you coming from? Have you ever ridden in a car with an aftermarket suspension?
I started in college with an Integra lowered on Eibach springs with KYB shocks...took awhile to get used to (I still have this as my beater car). Then I had an E46 M3 on eibach springs...nice ride, obviously harsher than stock. Now I have a 996 C4S on H&R coilovers--a bit harsher than the M3, but not significantly.
Anyway, I guess the point I'm making is that, if you're not used to an aftermarket suspension (especially on a sports car) it will feel harsh. Your car seems to be at a reasonable height. I'd drive it for a while and get more used to it. Eventually I found the handling benefits far outweighed the ride quality. If you can't stand it, you can always raise it up a bit and soften the suspension settings. Good luck!

Old 08-08-2007, 04:39 PM
wittenbergj is on a distinguished road
whats this about a finger in the crack and rubbing ????

Old 08-08-2007, 05:29 PM
racerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to behold
I've got a great local guy that can get it adjusted - I'm in Maryland too! I run PSS9s and can tell you that I don't have my fronts and rears at the same settings. My car hooks up!

Come on out to our AutoX on Sunday at Ripken stadium and we'll check it out.

www.pcachs.org

FTD last event - come on out and I'll pay your entry fee if you beat me.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by racerjsz
I've got a great local guy that can get it adjusted - I'm in Maryland too! I run PSS9s and can tell you that I don't have my fronts and rears at the same settings. My car hooks up!

Come on out to our AutoX on Sunday at Ripken stadium and we'll check it out.
I'll take you up on that. I live in the DC area, but was planning to be in Bel Air on Sunday. I'll send you a PM. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noob question about PSS9 expectations