996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

H&R sway bars versus GT3 sway bars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:21 PM
waydeki is on a distinguished road
H&R sway bars versus GT3 sway bars

I'm looking for sway bars to go with H&R club sport coil overs. The porsche brand GT3 sway bars are much more $ than the H&R sway bars. How do they compare?

Old 08-08-2007, 01:22 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Im curious too

Old 08-08-2007, 02:19 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
H&R are direct bolt on....GT3 needs custom drop links. I think both are adjustable....as far as handling, doubt you would tell the difference...alot of people do GT3 just because they are GT3.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:45 PM
UCrazyKid will become famous soon enoughUCrazyKid will become famous soon enough
http://www.automotion.com/productpag...ries+Sway+Bars

Another choice for adjustible bars, price includes drop links.

My guess is they will all perform the same.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:05 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Except on a TT or C4...the front GT3 bar is too thin, so they all go H&R....

Old 08-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
from what I remember the front gt3 sways only use 3 of its adjustments due to the geometry of the setup

Old 08-09-2007, 06:16 AM
AudiOn19s is on a distinguished road
My observations.

The H&R bars are actually a bit MORE expensive for the bars themselves but do not require any additional drop links for the front bar because it's designed just like the stock 996 bar only bigger. Because it retains the stock configuration with the turn down at the end there are NO adjustments to this bar (4 adjustment holes in the GT3 bar). Also the H&R bars are solid whereas the GT3 bars are Hollow. What this means is that the H&R bars are much heavier. Without knowing the strength of the metal used in the H&R bars it's tough to say which one is actually stiffer esp since physical measurement for the H&R front bar is slightly smaller than the GT3 front bar. (.4 inch difference in diameter I believe). Comparing the front bars there's a good 15-20lb difference between the front GT3 bar and the front H&R bar.

Both rear bars are adjustable, 3 ways for the H&R and 5 ways for the GT3 bar. Again one is solid and one is hollow making the H&R bar again much heavier.

I have a weird setup on my car. I have the H&R clubsports and have the H&R front bar with a GT3 rear bar. It all works very well together but after a few track outings I'm almost wishing I would have gone with the GT3 front so that I have some adjustability to play with the car. I may still eventually go that route but want to learn the car better the way it sits first.

Andy

Old 08-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
H&R have 3 way adjustments for front and rear, theyre made from spring steel. For a c2 people go with gt3. c4, tt they go H&R since it is stiffer.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Redridge
H&R have 3 way adjustments for front and rear, theyre made from spring steel. For a c2 people go with gt3. c4, tt they go H&R since it is stiffer.
Trust me on this...the H&R front bar for the C2 is NOT adjustable...I have it on my car. The rear is 3 way adjustable.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:43 PM
alprus is on a distinguished road
I was told the H&R front was not adjustable. I went with GT3 bars front and rear for this reason. Put TRG droplinks all around. The stock droplinks are surprisingly thiiiiiiinn.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:55 PM
kbliew is on a distinguished road
i have a 02 C2 and i know droplinks are pretty much required for the front if i use GT3 sway bar. what about the rear sway bar? can i use the OEM droplinks? please help.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:04 PM
alprus is on a distinguished road
Yes, the GT3 front bar requires adjustable drop links. The rear does not - but take a look at the droplinks and you may want to get adjustables for the rear. If you are going for new front and rear sways, and new front droplinks, you might as well get the adjustable rears as well - also, they are cheaper than the fronts.

Like I said, the stock links are very skinny. If you don't track the car, I wouldn't worry; but if you do, you should seriously think of getting new links all around.

Adding GT3 bars and trg links made my ROW M030 handle even better. Less roll and a little stiffer. Plus, I can actually adjust the car's handling a bit.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:48 PM
here's a link, H&R are adjustable F/R:, c4... why wouldnt the front fit a c2?
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=74222

Last edited by Redridge; 08-09-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:49 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
I have the GT3 sway w/ adjustable dl's no problems. the GT3 sways are hollow and much more compliant. less unsprung weight. the H&R are solid and much heavier. I have a 996tt fwiw. no problems.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:39 AM
Originally Posted by Redridge
here's a link, H&R are adjustable F/R:, c4... why wouldnt the front fit a c2?
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=74222
See how in the pictures the front bar for your C4 has a straight end to it?...it's different on the C2. The end points downwards and because of the downward angle it's not possible to have multiple mounting holes for the bar. Thats why when you get the GT3 bar with it's straight bar end the different length (shorter) end links are required.

Here's a picture I found of the H&R front bar for a C2(except it's oriented upside down...)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: H&R sway bars versus GT3 sway bars