996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY: MAF cleaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 11:38 AM
Ruiner is on a distinguished road
DIY: MAF cleaning

I have noticed many "MAF" issues as of late. Some are complete failures (this guide will not help those) while more are intermediate issues (like mine and jags911tt's). The MAF still works, but it measures an incorrect amount of air coming through the intake. That can cause you to run lean under throttle, rich under idle, and buck/surge while driving at 2-5mph while applying a small amount of gas - among other things. I have 32k on the clock with a new, stock air filter and a stock ECU. This just goes to show that it can happen to anyone. Those of you with after market filters may really want to pay attention to this guide.

It's an easy job and could save you $350-420 for a replacement MAF. I performed these very steps on my MAF last night and my car no longer surges/bucks/hesitates under low-speed throttle and the power seems to come on more smoothly when I give it throttle. More importantly, my Long Term Fuel Trims (LTFT) for both banks have returned back to +/- 1-2% and my Short Term Fuel Trims are no longer +/- 25%.

Pictures of the "old" graphs previous to the cleaning:

Old thread for those that want to see symptoms:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...threadid=30929

Tools needed:

* T-20 torx socket/driver - "Tamper Proof" style with the hole in the middle
* A circuit/electronic cleaner that leaves no residue and is safe for plastic - it can be a spray or liquid solution. If you get the spray, make sure that it has the "spray tube" so that you can get to those hard to reach places.

I used this from Ace Hardware:

Step 1:

Locate and remove the two screws that hold the MAF onto the intake.

Picture of the MAF's location with screws:

Step 2:

Remove the MAF and spray with cleaner and/or soak the MAF in a solution for 20-30 minutes. I sprayed mine 3 or 4 times over 10 minutes or so.

You will want to spray as much of the MAF, especially the exposed metal inside the unit (refer to the markings in the below picture), as you can. Let it sit for ~30 minutes to AIR DRY completely and then re-install the MAF.

Step 3:

Start the car and have fun. I plan on doing this every 10-15k or so. It only takes a few minutes and the car feels like she is new again.

Last edited by Ruiner; 10-06-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:59 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Excellent writeup. Thanks!

This should be a sticky...or maybe we should have a DIY subforum (hint, hint).

Old 09-30-2005, 12:01 PM
ColorChange is on a distinguished road
Great Post!

Old 09-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by roadsterdoc
Excellent writeup. Thanks!

This should be a sticky...or maybe we should have a DIY subforum (hint, hint).
We already do.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...?s=&forumid=32

Old 09-30-2005, 12:31 PM
DFW911T will become famous soon enoughDFW911T will become famous soon enough
Very timely, thanks Ruiner.
I have intermittent hesitation at 2- 5 mph.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:45 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Very nice post! Lots of 6speeders have been asking for this. What a great forum!

Old 09-30-2005, 01:22 PM
RT7
Show-N-Go like J-Lo Mofo
RT7 will become famous soon enough
Excellent write-up Ruiner! This is what I've been looking for. A proactive measure is the key. Is it an overkill to do this every 3k miles? Thank you for the write up.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by RT7
Excellent write-up Ruiner! This is what I've been looking for. A proactive measure is the key. Is it an overkill to do this every 3k miles? Thank you for the write up.
Every 3k miles might be a bit much if you are on the stock air filter. However, if you have an "oiled" after market unit, it might affect the MAF a lot sooner being that some of the oil can splash onto the MAF and cause contamination. As long as your cleaner is of a "no/zero residue" type, I don't see why not. Once an oil change might be a better bet.

Stephen, any ideas on this?

Old 09-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Brandon -

You just saved me the price of a new MAF!!

I went out this afternoon and bought the very same product you used, and cleaned my MAF. I have been running either a BMC oiled filter, or the EVO oiled filter for over three and a half years. My '02 Turbo had a rough idle, wasn't smooth at all when cold, and had some power issues at WOT and high rpms. But NOW...

Holly smokes - it's no kidding like night and day!! The car runs smooth as silk, and the power delivery is much stronger and smoother!!

Many thanks for this simple - but major league effective- DIY fix to the engine's running "problems". It's made a huge difference on my car...

Old 09-30-2005, 07:21 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
awesome Ruiner !

Old 09-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Banned
Red Comet is on a distinguished road
The force of the spray isn't strong enough to damage the MAF?

Old 09-30-2005, 07:56 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Oh man oh man.. brandon to the rescue!

Old 09-30-2005, 08:03 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally posted by Red Comet
The force of the spray isn't strong enough to damage the MAF?
No.

Old 09-30-2005, 09:54 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Ruiner
As long as your cleaner is of a "no/zero residue" type, I don't see why not.

Stephen, any ideas on this?
I agree. No residue is the key.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:07 PM
Johnfromjersey is on a distinguished road
thanks for sharing... will try this soon!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: MAF cleaning