996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Definitive Type II Over-rev rule

Old 09-07-2007, 02:31 PM
DaveN007 is on a distinguished road
Definitive Type II Over-rev rule

I have searched.

So, I get the report. What is a deal killer?

Some say that you can get a type II from banging against the rev limiter.

Is one mechanical over-rev recorded a deal killer?

Old 09-07-2007, 06:28 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
You have to realize that the number captured by the DME is the # of ignitions at that condition. So @7200 rpms=120 revs/sec...3 ignitions per rev (6cylinders/2)...1 would be difficult to measure by a chronometer. I do not know what a deal killer would be, but even 120 would be about 1/3 second in the over rev condition.

I suppose the rule is made up by the PCA representative/dealer at the time.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Mike (La Jolla) is on a distinguished road
Rev2 -- deal killer?

Originally Posted by DaveN007
So, I get the report. What is a deal killer?
No, it isn't a deal killer, but PAG will void the warranty. If the car is out of warranty by definition due to calendar time, your only real worry is the weak transmission.

Given the number of TT's on the market unless this one is an exceptional deal, I would pass. PAG is simply not standing behind the product that has this sort of flag in the computer. This is WRONG, but this is the new PAG. Deal with it.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Mike (La Jolla) is on a distinguished road
REV2 definition ...

Originally Posted by DaveN007
Some say that you can get a type II from banging against the rev limiter.
No that isn't correct. Running up to the rev limter is a Type I. Type II's are misshifts.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:57 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Hmmm.

So what is the concern? There are three scenarios as I see it:

1. PCNA sees Type2 over-revs and denies a warranty claim for 'abuse'.
solution: If you will have a PCNA warranty - original or cpo- have the Porsche dealer state IN WRITING that the over rev data is acceptable... just jot it down on the piece of paper/report)

2. Other warranty company sees overrev and denies claim.
Possibly SOL- they are not party to the inspection process, and can claim it was 'pre-existing'. Perhaps again get a P dealer to state "not an issue, not evidence of abuse". If denied you have that documented.

3. Just your own concern.
I'd say over 100 is a concern. I looked at an X50 with 9347 type 1 and 96 type2... the selling dealer stated unequivocally 'not a problem, we will CPO this'. I also checked with the Service MANAGER at my local dealer- he said it was not a problem, especially if they were some time ago. Which brings the final point- if the over revs were many hours ago, the risk of that having caused some damage that will bite you is a bit reduced.

All, IMHO

A

Old 09-07-2007, 07:48 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike (La Jolla)
No that isn't correct. Running up to the rev limter is a Type I. Type II's are misshifts.
You may be incorrect on this...see this thread:

Over Revs

Old 09-07-2007, 10:47 PM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
I think there's a ton more to this than meets the eye.... certainly one can look at "times" that the type 1 and 2 limits are hit, but interestingly, Porsche (today) looked the the #'s on my own Turbo and explained that the total number is the number of "firings" that have occured within their 1 & 2 range is what the software counts. Every cylinder that fires when the motor is within that RPM range will count as "one time" so you sit on the rev limiter in 4th gear heading into a corner, then let the motor do some breaking for you and then downshift again.... hmmmmm..... going to look like GOOGLE soon....

So again, you quickly go from 1st to 2nd and with full throttle, not letting up on the gas, car spends 1 second in "no-mans-land" as the revs rise and fall with the clutch slipping... you'd hit 696 (as a count) right away... 7000RPM's / 60 seconds per minute * 6 cylinders... crank rotates 116 times in one second at 7000rpm.... doing the math backwards... that's 696 "firings" with the engne RPM in that range... Now you know why the dealer is probably more relaxed than you might be when you see 2,600 on their machine.

Last edited by SpeedYellow; 09-07-2007 at 10:49 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-08-2007, 07:19 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Great Post

Old 09-08-2007, 10:11 PM
MidnighTT is on a distinguished road
SpeedYellow, your point is valid, but cylinders fire every-other crank revolution, so 166.6 revolutions in one second works out to 350 ignition "events". Still, that's 350 counts from one excursion beyond the Type II limit.

Jeff

Old 09-09-2007, 11:04 AM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
I have type II's, and have never overreved from a downshift. I think you can hit type II by accelerating hard and tapping the rev limiter in 1st. I don't think it kicks in fast enough when the vehicle is accelerating. I can't explain my type II's (which are few) any other way.

Seth

Old 09-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Ive hit the rev limiter in first a few times before I could get into 2nd. Which scares me if Porsche ever complains. Its hard as hell to do it without short shifting.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:09 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Chris
I want you to mod your car!!

Old 09-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robmd99
Chris
I want you to mod your car!!
As of last night my Camaro has been sold. So the Porsche is almost paid off so I can start setting a lot more money aside for some new turbos and other fun things

Old 09-09-2007, 11:21 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Powell
As of last night my Camaro has been sold. So the Porsche is almost paid off so I can start setting a lot more money aside for some new turbos and other fun things
Listen, You can get some K24 fairly cheep, and exhaust can be had for 1500 and Akram has the ability to tune your car in H town through Protomotive. So you could be making 570 to the rear wheels for less than 10 g Then to make 650hp all you will need is larger injectors and another Bosch 044!! Just a couple more Gs there!! Dude you should do it!!!!!

Old 09-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
personally spending all that money for hybriding K24 turbos with a journal bearing compressor seems like a waste especially for kits for 650-700hp. Journal bearing turbos take more oil and longer to spool up. Why dont you look into a watercooled Ball bearing set up. With all this power u dont want your turbos to rely on oil cooling alone do u?. Not me!

S

Originally Posted by robmd99
Listen, You can get some K24 fairly cheep, and exhaust can be had for 1500 and Akram has the ability to tune your car in H town through Protomotive. So you could be making 570 to the rear wheels for less than 10 g Then to make 650hp all you will need is larger injectors and another Bosch 044!! Just a couple more Gs there!! Dude you should do it!!!!!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Definitive Type II Over-rev rule