997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help Pls:Touch-Up Paint for "Volcano Grey" Parts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:21 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Help Pls:Touch-Up Paint for "Volcano Grey" Parts?

I have stock Adaptive Sport Seat with the back of the seat painted in that color I think called volcano grey (?). I've found a couple of defects/scratches (from attache case) that need to be touched up. Does anyone know which color would match the volcano grey best? Is it Porsche Seal Grey? Or am I better off just going to Pep Boys, etc., and look for something that would match? TIA.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
I would recommend taking the seats to a body shop and having them color-match the paint, and clearcoat it too. This will keep it looking good, and well worth the extra money.

John

Old 03-01-2008, 09:56 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
John,

Thanks. Sorry I wasn't clear, but these are only a couple of tiny 2mm diameter scratches I am talking about here. They do stand out a little bit because it's black underneath the paint and you know how our eyes subconsciouly "look for" defects.

Originally Posted by detailjohn
I would recommend taking the seats to a body shop and having them color-match the paint, and clearcoat it too. This will keep it looking good, and well worth the extra money.

John

Old 03-01-2008, 09:58 AM
GossettPorsche is on a distinguished road
few years ago I had a client with the same issue. we looked high and low, and never found anything. he ended up replacing the seatback shell, at 1100 a pop. he was a bit of a perfectionist (who isn't that own these cars). I would probably do what John suggested. it will be far more durable, and in the future you will be able to polish out small scratches.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:58 AM
rbc997t is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GossettPorsche
few years ago I had a client with the same issue. we looked high and low, and never found anything. he ended up replacing the seatback shell, at 1100 a pop. he was a bit of a perfectionist (who isn't that own these cars). I would probably do what John suggested. it will be far more durable, and in the future you will be able to polish out small scratches.
i went through a similar situation with my adaptive seats with that finish which since it was not clearcoated from factory i had the best people in town attempt to match and blend the color.unfortunately it was never up to my standards so the entire seat had to be taken apart to remove seat shell and replaced.total cost with labor was nearly $900 of which i paid half of since it was damaged by the shop that put in my springs who somehow managed to scratch the seatback shell in two places and were complaining that they had only made $500 on the install so instead of ending up in litigation i agreed to pay half just to be done with it.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:12 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Have you contacted Bumperplugs?

Old 03-02-2008, 01:40 PM
MichaelL will become famous soon enoughMichaelL will become famous soon enough
I don't think that the seatbacks are painted, the volcano gray is probably the natural color of the plastic.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Volcano is not really a paint. It's baby poop, watered down and sprayed on.

Wonder why we paint so much of it these days? We paint it to body color or alumalook or ANY other finish, but not Volcano.

No idea what idiot at Porsche made the decision to use this color coating on anything in the car, because a) it sucks, and b) it really cannot be duplicated.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:49 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
No idea what idiot at Porsche made the decision to use this color coating on anything in the car...
The guy responsible for seat back sales.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:48 PM
sidwin is on a distinguished road
i was able to get the paint made. it took about an hr to match and it looks pretty good.

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...l#post11512234

Old 07-17-2014, 10:05 PM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
This looks very similar to volcano and is not glossy. I've used this for other car interiors.It doesn't look stainless steel like its called. If it's a little light I would just mix a little bit of black into it. Just spray a lil in a cup and use a brush.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...aqs=4294960879

Last edited by meaker; 07-17-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:25 PM
i also found out the touch up paint i had made also works for the touch up around the gauges. volcano grey is used around the rings. thank GOD! best 2 hour sof my life spent getting this touch up made

Old 09-01-2014, 06:43 AM
9LVN_TT is on a distinguished road
Anyone know where to find alluma look paint? Same silver paint that is on the door handles? This is what my seat backs are colored in and I have a few nicks that I want to fix.

Someone told me that the OEM Arctic Silver would do the trick...anyone know for sure before I try?

Old 09-01-2014, 09:50 AM
yes artic is the right color. i used it to touch up my door handle.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 AM
9LVN_TT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sidwin
yes artic is the right color. i used it to touch up my door handle.
Thanks Sid. How close of a match was it? I don't imagine it was perfect?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help Pls:Touch-Up Paint for "Volcano Grey" Parts?