997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Rattling sound from the engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:51 AM
WTT997 is on a distinguished road
Rattling sound from the engine

Hi Guys..

Have an issue here regarding the rattling sound.. tsk tsk tsk.. Had this sound since day 1 when car was delivered. Was told that the engine is still warming up hence the rattling sound.. However it has been 2k miles since and this sound has never cease but louder especially after every drive..

What i've noticed -

1. Mild rattling sound when engine is on.
2. Sound gets louder after driving from point to point.
3. Sound could only be heard from outside, not while driving.

Is this a characteristic of a Porsche TT engine? Havent had a chance to compare with other 997 TTs yet.. Please advice.

Thanks.

Ron

Old 04-13-2008, 07:15 AM
RAY in Pa. is on a distinguished road
No, it's not normal by any means.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:23 AM
lee lovell is on a distinguished road
They are naturally noisey, sounds like a bag of nails.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:31 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I would get it checked out immediately. Does not sound correct

Old 04-13-2008, 03:58 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
With the true dry sump you're gonna hear somewhat of a rattle, but it sounds like you're describing an intermediate shaft issue.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:27 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
None with mine. I would get it checked .

Old 04-14-2008, 08:02 AM
bluesea will become famous soon enoughbluesea will become famous soon enough
I had a rattling engine as well. Your symptoms seem mostly the same as mine. I noticed the issue from the start but I got the car with 900 miles on it. As I would drive off I could hear the rattle and it could also be heard by bystanders.

The one time I had it checked (by slow test drive) the tech just said that it was normal, but I sensed that he was incorrect.

My engine failed and it was replaced. I don't know if the reason for the rattle was the same reason it failed, but as I suspected, the new engine was rattle free and ran much smoother. The car would now have more get up and go at lower rpms. The service people agreed that the new engine ran better.

The problem for you will be persuading the dealer that somethings wrong. You might have a seasoned tech stand outside as you start to pull away at low speed (as if you're driving in a parking lot). If you could demonstrate it you might convince the tech that the rattle sound can't be deemed normal.

If the rattle should not be there then it seems that others have this problem as well from what I'm reading here.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by bluesea; 04-14-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:30 AM
WTT997 is on a distinguished road
Blusea.. you are scaring me now.. How did your engine fail? In which areas? Perhaps i could tell the techs to look into that area.. Thanks a lot.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Dubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really nice
could you post a sound clip of the noise ?

Old 04-14-2008, 01:32 PM
bluesea will become famous soon enoughbluesea will become famous soon enough
It was something related to the number six cylinder going lean all of a sudden, melting a grove at the edge of the piston top, into the cylinder wall. I don't think it could be related but I am not that knowledgeable about the details of the engine. It may have been a coincidence.

Originally Posted by WTT997
Blusea.. you are scaring me now.. How did your engine fail? In which areas? Perhaps i could tell the techs to look into that area.. Thanks a lot.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by WTT997
Hi Guys..

Have an issue here regarding the rattling sound.. tsk tsk tsk.. Had this sound since day 1 when car was delivered. Was told that the engine is still warming up hence the rattling sound.. However it has been 2k miles since and this sound has never cease but louder especially after every drive..

What i've noticed -

1. Mild rattling sound when engine is on.
2. Sound gets louder after driving from point to point.
3. Sound could only be heard from outside, not while driving.

Is this a characteristic of a Porsche TT engine? Havent had a chance to compare with other 997 TTs yet.. Please advice.

Thanks.

Ron
There is rattling and there is rattling. Our cars do rattle a bit but I would describe it more of a chatter rather than rattle... The 911’s are noisy engines comparing to other cars. As you refer to it as mild I would say it's normal. If it sounds like a lose exhaust shield, the chances are its normal.<O</O

Old 09-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Redline911 has a spectacular aura aboutRedline911 has a spectacular aura about
This is a fairly old post, but getting the same rattle at low RPM. It shows up once the engine warms up. Hate it because it can be heard when pulling away outside the car and makes the engine sound bad, despite the cargraphic rumble... (which I admittedly step out to drown out the ticking noise...

Old 09-29-2013, 01:27 AM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
Fellas, I hear this all the time and its completely normal. The Timing chains are very noisy in all 911s. Nothing to fear.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:07 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Redline911
This is a fairly old post, but getting the same rattle at low RPM. It shows up once the engine warms up. Hate it because it can be heard when pulling away outside the car and makes the engine sound bad, despite the cargraphic rumble... (which I admittedly step out to drown out the ticking noise...
Read here - article is in post 8

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...eferrerid=7931

Old 09-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Redline911 has a spectacular aura aboutRedline911 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks so much guys. Glad to confirm it is normal - and frankly that it does not mean the engine is about to blow up!