997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Pics & Review of My Bilstein PSS10 Lowered Red Turbo

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:51 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Man, I really like that wheel.

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 04-11-2015 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 04-10-2015, 08:07 PM
Jeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of light
Me too!

Old 04-11-2015, 07:39 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
I know the following is not suspension related but since I am on this topic of little things that make unbelieveable difference, let me bring your attention to the Techart Steering Wheel.

For $1800,this is one of the most enjoyable and significant mods I have made to my car - and you know I don't pass these judgements easily . The key to the Techart wheel is the 2 bulges at 3 and 9 o'clock, that you could see on lateral view. The muscular and very thick grip puzzlingly :-) alters the sensation of steering in the car - heavier and to me, more in touch. And really, I am pretty sure it's *NOT* all in my head LOL.

I know there are cheaper modifications available, but just add about $900 and you have the real thing, hand made in Germany, designed by a serious German Porsche tuner. Spend your money and have fun.

One more pic to whet your appetite :-). The central portion is perforated, similar to Ferrari's and other high-end steering wheels, for good reasons (more grippy, etc.). For those who bought the Turbo used and with high'ish mileage, keep in mind in well-used Turbo's, the leather of that steering wheel is no longer what it used to be when new. With time original steering wheel's leather has worsened considerably: became "hardened"/stiff (used to be supple) and very slippery. A change to this Techart wheel does a large part in making the car feel new, all over again :-).

Look guys, just do it. Don't think of it as an $1800 mod, think of it being *ONLY* around $900 more than the alternative LOL, to get you a seriously better steering feel, hand made in Germany by a highly reputable German tuner. Lastly, as mentioned, I am a very picky person (extreme OCD type really :-)) and I don't say anything is great unless I have considered all the pro's and con's. No con here.

OT: Chris are you back, though you sold your fantastic low mileage Turbo?

Last edited by cannga; 04-11-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:46 AM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
One more pic to whet your appetite :-). The central portion is perforated, similar to Ferrari's and other high-end steering wheels, for good reasons (more grippy, etc.). For those who bought the Turbo used and with high'ish mileage, keep in mind in well-used Turbo's, the leather of that steering wheel is no longer what it used to be when new. With time original steering wheel's leather has worsened considerably: became "hardened"/stiff (used to be supple) and very slippery. A change to this Techart wheel does a large part in making the car feel new, all over again :-).

Look guys, just do it. Don't think of it as an $1800 mod, think of it being *ONLY* around $900 more than the alternative LOL, to get you a seriously better steering feel, hand made in Germany by a highly reputable German tuner. Lastly, as mentioned, I am a very picky person (extreme OCD type really :-)) and I don't say anything is great unless I have considered all the pro's and con's. No con here.

OT: Chris are you back, though you sold your fantastic low mileage Turbo?

You probably could have gotten MAcarbon wheel for less.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:16 AM
Banned
turbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to beholdturbofever is a splendid one to behold
i have set my eyes on the pasm b16 kit, my only reservation is that i actually want a noselift system.

TechArt has this available although the price tag is $8,300.00 in lieu of the standard $3000 kit offered by bilstein.

The TechArt kit comes with slightly redesigned spring perches and spring rates. The hydraulic pump sits in a custom battery tray that utilizes a smaller battery to make room for the pump.
My drivway is so steep that even at oem ride height my lip slightly scratches even on a serious angle of entry!

Being that the noselift will raise the front end by 2" i would plan to lower the front and rear only 1" with the coilovers to give me the best chance of never scraping again.

who on earth wants to spend $8,300.00 though!

Michael

Old 04-12-2015, 11:28 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by turbofever
i have set my eyes on the pasm b16 kit, my only reservation is that i actually want a noselift system.

TechArt has this available although the price tag is $8,300.00 in lieu of the standard $3000 kit offered by bilstein.

The TechArt kit comes with slightly redesigned spring perches and spring rates. The hydraulic pump sits in a custom battery tray that utilizes a smaller battery to make room for the pump.
My drivway is so steep that even at oem ride height my lip slightly scratches even on a serious angle of entry!

Being that the noselift will raise the front end by 2" i would plan to lower the front and rear only 1" with the coilovers to give me the best chance of never scraping again.

who on earth wants to spend $8,300.00 though!
I agree $8300 is on the stiff side. Probably acceptable for when the car was bought new and we wrote a 150k check (I in addition paid nearly 6k for the wheels and they contribute "less" than the 8300 suspension to the driving experience.), not so much for a 7 year old car.

OTOH, if you want to keep the car forever , it might just become justifiable. After all power and handling are the 2 most important aspects of a sports car, and some of us spend 10k plus on ecu/engine mod right? What's another 8300? YOLO :-).

Last edited by cannga; 04-12-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:16 AM
RajuPatel is on a distinguished road
Hi, I am based in Mumbai, India. I an amateur "technically". Please don't mind my vague non technical details.
I have just acquired a 2007 Turbo 997.1 TT. The interior and suspension was beat up. I towed the car to a friend who is a reputed tuner in Bangalore, India. He does the likes of Hurancan, GT-R's, R8's, Ferrari 430, Italia etc.
He has changed all suspension arms and links with stock arms and links. He has used aftermarket sway bars and kept the setting at NEUTRAL. He has installed the TECH ART Blstein B16 Damptronic (all Around) with Lift function for the front. We have also installed the CAPRISTO Valvetronic. He has installed the AMS 5.5" intercooler and the AMS intake pipes. He has changes all fluids. Shortly upgrading to RB 380mm discs all round but with stock callipers. I don't know what is the alignment reading.
But question regarding the handling issue is as follows. Road surface in the city is fit for a SUV. Let that be. What matters is the road surface imperfections on the freeway. These are like small water wave types (but spaced out) which unsettles the Turbo in both, normal and Sport, settings. This happens at speeds in excess of 100mph. This has happened twice at different locations. Once it happened on a long right hander and me (driver) and my tuner (who was with me) and our ****s in our mouth. I had to lift off the throttle. My tuner's take is that the Bilstein B16 Damptronic (even in Normal mode) has very less travel and hence so . Is this right? If so, then is there any solution?
Another issue I experience is that i have drone from 1800 to 2200 rpm from the Capristo's (in all modes, closed, semi open, or fully open). is this normal?

Any help or suggestion (or even sympathy) will and is appreciated.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:21 AM
Oh I forgot to mention but there is some sort of a tune also. My tuner says it is now doing about 90bhp more than stock. I did not ask and neither has he mentioned which tune?

Old 02-11-2016, 03:11 AM
9e 28,

Thanks. I love the Bilstein B16 Damptronic "normal mode". I love to push the car in that mode on certain twisted hilly roads. I am going to try and use the Sport mode on these hilly roads too. It's the stupid freeways construction that is bothersome.
I agree about the CAPRISTO. Sounds Awesome WHEN I WANT it to.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by RajuPatel
Hi, I am based in Mumbai, India. I an amateur "technically". Please don't mind my vague non technical details.
I have just acquired a 2007 Turbo 997.1 TT. The interior and suspension was beat up. I towed the car to a friend who is a reputed tuner in Bangalore, India. He does the likes of Hurancan, GT-R's, R8's, Ferrari 430, Italia etc.
He has changed all suspension arms and links with stock arms and links. He has used aftermarket sway bars and kept the setting at NEUTRAL. He has installed the TECH ART Blstein B16 Damptronic (all Around) with Lift function for the front. We have also installed the CAPRISTO Valvetronic. He has installed the AMS 5.5" intercooler and the AMS intake pipes. He has changes all fluids. Shortly upgrading to RB 380mm discs all round but with stock callipers. I don't know what is the alignment reading.
But question regarding the handling issue is as follows. Road surface in the city is fit for a SUV. Let that be. What matters is the road surface imperfections on the freeway. These are like small water wave types (but spaced out) which unsettles the Turbo in both, normal and Sport, settings. This happens at speeds in excess of 100mph. This has happened twice at different locations. Once it happened on a long right hander and me (driver) and my tuner (who was with me) and our ****s in our mouth. I had to lift off the throttle. My tuner's take is that the Bilstein B16 Damptronic (even in Normal mode) 1. has very less travel and hence so . Is this right? If so, then is there any solution?
2. Another issue I experience is that i have drone from 1800 to 2200 rpm from the Capristo's (in all modes, closed, semi open, or fully open). is this normal?

Any help or suggestion (or even sympathy) will and is appreciated.
Hi, congrats on your new car. Not only I have a slightly different suspension (my Bilstein is not the Techart version and doesn't have the front lift feature), I have no idea what the road you described is really like, and what your car feels like, so following are my best guesses.

1. The answer is no, the "travel" of the Bilstein shock should be normal and very similar to stock assuming you have set it up correctly and did not LOWER the Bilstein beyond spec. In general I would not advise any lowering beyond 1 inch or so, from stock height. To best of my knowledge, the risk of too much lowering is that you would hit the internal bump stop - and that would be quite an adventure at speed, in the curve. Go here to see how to measure car height and see how much you have lowered from stock: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2758673. Please measure your car and let me know what numbers you are getting - once you know where to measure, it takes 5 minutes, literally.

Assuming your car's setup is otherwise correct, the tires are good (what tires are you using?) and not over-inflated (should be about 32/38 psi "cold" in 70 degree F weather), I would add that when road surface is imperfect, all bets are off and speeding would cause problems regardless of what suspension you have. Pardon me if you already know this, but in case you are new to a 911: more so in a rear engine 911 than in any other car - slow in fast out is the order of the day, even for professional drivers. I agree lifting throttle at high speed in mid curve is something that would require an underwear change after .

Whether you should de-tune the car to stock suspension only you could decide. But let me warn you that once you have tasted the stiffer Techart Bilstein, going back to the the soft stock suspension may make the car feel like a ponderous and lazy grand tourer. (The suspension change, for me, is THE single most important mod for 997 Turbo's.)

2. Having listened to quite a number of Porsche Turbo exhausts, IMHO and in my experience all exhausts have a resonance at low RPM, if you are an audiophile with good ears :-). It sounds like engine lugging and you would also hear it with the stock exhaust, around 2200 to 2600 rpm. This low rpm resonance is a problem not just in Porsche, but across several car makers if you google the topic (Toyota Highlander has it LOL - looking to buy this for my son and can't help but have a chuckle reading people losing sleep over it.). My thought on this topic: An engine, any engine, is simply not meant to be driven at 1500-2000 rpm.

Why this resonance is never a problem with several Turbo owners? At least, in a manual car, we drive our car at 3000 rpm to keep the car in the sweet torque range and therefore inherently avoid the problematic 2000 rpm range. Also possibly unconsciously we keep the gear that will maintain 3000 rpm to prevent the resonance. So... the result is that in normal driving, it is not a problem. As for automatic Turbo's, I do not have any idea - have never driven one.

BTW aftermarket exhausts with the least resonance are likely to also be on the quiet side, relatively. It likely would have very little of the extremely satisfying low V8 frequency rumbling. The good thing then for quiet exhausts is lack of resonance, the bad thing is if your personal preference (no right or wrong) is for a louder, more sporty sound, it might be too quiet of an exhaust for you. My Cargraphic for example has resonance at 2400 rpm like the stock exhaust, but it also absolutely, positively sings, loudly, and is perfect for me for the past EIGHT (!) years while passing stringent California smog test. So keep your excellent Capristo and enjoy it! BTW to hear it best, have someone else drive the car with you standing on the sidewalk (exhausts sound better - the full frequency range and loudness - when you are outside the car), or take your car into a tunnel, lower windows and sunroof, and listen to the firework . Hope this helps.

Last edited by cannga; 02-12-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:38 PM
Thumbs up

cannga,

Thank you .

No I haven't lowered my car.
I am on Michelin PSS. Tyres pressures are 32F/34R psi. Cold temperature here means 77F and it gets to 90F during the day. Summer is like 90F at night and 100F day.

The roads are pathetic. Sharp 2" ridges, dips (at places 4"-6") bumps etc etc.

I agree with the underwear change remark.
I love the Bilstein ride. I have just bought the TPS DSC. Will install in about 10 days and then see what it can do to alleviate the city ride issue. Having said that the "normal" mode of the OEM coiler is near perfect for Mumbai roads to soak up ridges, bumps etc. That should give you a fair idea of the roads here.

I will live with the drone. I just love the sound of the Capristo's wide open. I have the same on my W212 E63 Biturbo and it is "orgasmic".
I am upgrading the brakes to a Racing Brake floating 380mm rotor setup with their ET500 pads using the stock calipers. I am also installing an after market CF GT3 seats

Will soon post photos. Going for a ride now. Cheers.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:44 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RajuPatel
I am upgrading the brakes to a Racing Brake floating 380mm rotor setup with their ET500 pads using the stock calipers.
Assuming your car came with 350mm brakes, save yourself some headaches and skip the Racing brake 380 upgrade. Their kit is flawed and will not work properly utilizing the OEM 350mm calipers. I've discussed this at length here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-discs-3.html

Old 02-13-2016, 07:13 PM
KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Hi, congrats on your new car. Not only I have a slightly different suspension (my Bilstein is not the Techart version and doesn't have the front lift feature), I have no idea what the road you described is really like, and what your car feels like, so following are my best guesses. 1. The answer is no, the "travel" of the Bilstein shock should be normal and very similar to stock assuming you have set it up correctly and did not LOWER the Bilstein beyond spec. In general I would not advise any lowering beyond 1 inch or so, from stock height. To best of my knowledge, the risk of too much lowering is that you would hit the internal bump stop - and that would be quite an adventure at speed, in the curve. Go here to see how to measure car height and see how much you have lowered from stock: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2758673. Please measure your car and let me know what numbers you are getting - once you know where to measure, it takes 5 minutes, literally. Assuming your car's setup is otherwise correct, the tires are good (what tires are you using?) and not over-inflated (should be about 32/38 psi "cold" in 70 degree F weather), I would add that when road surface is imperfect, all bets are off and speeding would cause problems regardless of what suspension you have. Pardon me if you already know this, but in case you are new to a 911: more so in a rear engine 911 than in any other car - slow in fast out is the order of the day, even for professional drivers. I agree lifting throttle at high speed in mid curve is something that would require an underwear change after . Whether you should de-tune the car to stock suspension only you could decide. But let me warn you that once you have tasted the stiffer Techart Bilstein, going back to the the soft stock suspension may make the car feel like a ponderous and lazy grand tourer. (The suspension change, for me, is THE single most important mod for 997 Turbo's.) 2. Having listened to quite a number of Porsche Turbo exhausts, IMHO and in my experience all exhausts have a resonance at low RPM, if you are an audiophile with good ears :-). It sounds like engine lugging and you would also hear it with the stock exhaust, around 2200 to 2600 rpm. This low rpm resonance is a problem not just in Porsche, but across several car makers if you google the topic (Toyota Highlander has it LOL - looking to buy this for my son and can't help but have a chuckle reading people losing sleep over it.). My thought on this topic: An engine, any engine, is simply not meant to be driven at 1500-2000 rpm. Why this resonance is never a problem with several Turbo owners? At least, in a manual car, we drive our car at 3000 rpm to keep the car in the sweet torque range and therefore inherently avoid the problematic 2000 rpm range. Also possibly unconsciously we keep the gear that will maintain 3000 rpm to prevent the resonance. So... the result is that in normal driving, it is not a problem. As for automatic Turbo's, I do not have any idea - have never driven one. BTW aftermarket exhausts with the least resonance are likely to also be on the quiet side, relatively. It likely would have very little of the extremely satisfying low V8 frequency rumbling. The good thing then for quiet exhausts is lack of resonance, the bad thing is if your personal preference (no right or wrong) is for a louder, more sporty sound, it might be too quiet of an exhaust for you. My Cargraphic for example has resonance at 2400 rpm like the stock exhaust, but it also absolutely, positively sings, loudly, and is perfect for me for the past EIGHT (!) years while passing stringent California smog test. So keep your excellent Capristo and enjoy it! BTW to hear it best, have someone else drive the car with you standing on the sidewalk (exhausts sound better - the full frequency range and loudness - when you are outside the car), or take your car into a tunnel, lower windows and sunroof, and listen to the firework . Hope this helps.
Hey there

Glad to see you around and still have your car!
About to pick another and should be back around the forum.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:06 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Props to Cannga for keeping this thread alive, and for all that visit. Lots of great info here to still be found between the lines!

Cheers,
VID

PS: Same to be said for PD's input.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by VID997
Props to Cannga for keeping this thread alive, and for all that visit. Lots of great info here to still be found between the lines!

Cheers,
VID

PS: Same to be said for PD's input.
Hello D and KA 997TT, thanks for the nice comments and wow this feels like a re-union . Agreed regarding pwdrhound, and so are your inputs, OF COURSE!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average.

Quick Reply: Pics & Review of My Bilstein PSS10 Lowered Red Turbo