997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Pics & Review of My Bilstein PSS10 Lowered Red Turbo

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:00 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
I updated my un-official spring rate table to include TPC Tractive as well as two track oriented cars from forum members Webspoke and pwdrhound (pls PM me if you don't want me to list it). Again this is just for fun and to give you some idea.

Pay attention to the 200-300 front to rear spring rate difference in nearly all 911's. An AWD car tends to understeer so softer spring rate in front (and softer front sway bar setting, wider front tire, etc.) helps to reduce this understeer. This is particularly important for advanced drivers at the track because it improves cornering traction. If you are beginner-level like me :-), a little understeer is not a bad thing and in general is considered safer in amateurs' hands.
Please note that my car has 1400/1500 linear spring rates (with 150/250 helpers) but is a RWD platform with 996Cup uprights and full 997Cup/RSR components suspension components, and a rather agressive Motorsport LSD. It is full monoball and set up for the track. You will note the small 100lb difference in spring rates front to rear. This is typical of Cup set ups even though 997/991 Cups run the same front and rear rates (1484/1484). These cars are set up for mild under steer and rely on agressive trail braking to transfer grip to the front tires for turn in. Rotation generally occurs under braking. I actually run my front sway bar almost full stiff while the rear rather soft. Interestingly I wear out all 4 tires at about the same rate (even with putting 600hp to only the rear wheels) which point to the fact that I'm distributing grip pretty evenly to all 4 wheels.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 03-13-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:04 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Bump for 8th "anniversary" of my Bilstein installation. Time sure flies.

The car has had a few problems with leakage over the last few years (both Turbo's, engine coolant, wing, clutch - you name it, my car has leaked it ), but the suspension has stayed reliable, knock on wood. Of course the car corners like a bat out of hell :-), precise, tight, firm, with virtually no body lean, and I love taking it through mountain roads.

Still a daily driver and still a long term keeper, especially with both kids now in college .

Old 06-21-2016, 09:48 AM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice! I tend to keep my cars a long time (see sig line!) so this is encouraging to hear!

Old 06-21-2016, 11:23 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Have you added the DSC box?

The car has had a few problems with leakage over the last few years (both Turbo's, engine coolant, wing, clutch - you name it, my car has leaked it ), but the suspension has stayed reliable, knock on wood. Of course the car corners like a bat out of hell :-), precise, tight, firm, with virtually no body lean, and I love taking it through mountain roads.

Still a daily driver and still a long term keeper, especially with both kids now in college .

Old 06-21-2016, 10:39 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by turboslut
Have you added the DSC box?
No. The DSC box is a great product but I am completely happy with my car already and don't want to touch or change anything (first lesson I learned in any kind of mod for my car - once you're happy, touch no more ).

I should add that my car has Bilstein with much stiffer front and rear springs, not the stock Bilstein springs. (The stiffer front springs as a side effect make steering tighter with less free play, something I appreciate very much as I think the stock Turbo is just too loose.)

Old 06-22-2016, 08:26 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
DSC should send you a box for free...have you run it and see what you think about it. I am not sure anyone else on this board has the amount of time with the "perfect to you" setup you have. Something so good you are skeptical of any improvement being possible.

No. The DSC box is a great product but I am completely happy with my car already and don't want to touch or change anything (first lesson I learned in any kind of mod for my car - once you're happy, touch no more ).

I should add that my car has Bilstein with much stiffer front and rear springs, not the stock Bilstein springs. (The stiffer front springs as a side effect make steering tighter with less free play, something I appreciate very much as I think the stock Turbo is just too loose.)

Old 07-24-2016, 12:13 PM
The 997 Turbo was fast for sure, but its ponderous handling felt out of place in a car that's supposed to be among the world's best. GT3 owners speak of Turbo handling with disdain. Professional reviewers tend to label it "fast but numb and soulless" (ouch!).

Came across something interesting relating to what I wrote above, 8 years (!!) ago. This morning I was looking at a 991 Turbo S review and lo and behold guess what they are writing :

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...turbo-s-page-4
The Turbo S will surely be accused of being soulless and inert. We might have leveled that accusation once or twice ourselves.

I should point out that Porsche is more than capable of making cars that stir the soul (GT2/GT3/GT4); it's just Turbo was unfortunately always meant to be a grand-touring type of car. That's why the exhaust whines like an electric hair dryer and the suspension is so "comfortable" (nothing wrong with this - that's what it's meant to be). And why exhaust and suspension are among the most common mods for our beloved Turbo.

Last edited by cannga; 07-24-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:04 PM
Tire Weights

In motorsports, if there ever could be a reasonable generalization, it would probably be about weight; "weight is the enemy of goodness." The idea of lightness is king is particularly important where the weight is unsprung and rotational force is involved. In other words, better to gain weight at the frame (sprung) than at the wheel (unsprung), and better at the wheel (unsprung, inside) than at the tire (unsprung, outside). Angular momentum is proportional to radius - tire is the worst place for you to gain weight as it is furthest from the center of the wheel.

Note that while we know that unsprung weight is bad, whether anyone could feel say a 10% difference in weight - I leave it up to you to decide. The number in bold are the weights of one front plus one rear tire.

Michelin Cup (R comp): front/rear 20/27 = 47 lbs
Pirelli Corsa (R comp): 21/26 = 47
Continental Extreme Contact DW: 21/28 = 49
Hoosier R6 (Race tire, not for street, 315/30-19 rear): 22/27 = 49
Michelin PS2: 22/28 = 50****
Continental SportContact 3: 22/28 = 50
Pirelli Rosso: 22/29 = 51
Bridgestone RE71R: 24/30=54****
Michelin Pilot Super Sport: 25/30 = 55
Bridgestone RE050A: 24/31 = 55
Hankook Ventus V12: 24/32=56
Toyo Roxes R888 (R Comp): 25/31 = 56
Bridgestone RE11: 26/32 = 58
(If you think there is not much of a difference. A Turbo with iron brake and RE11 will have close to 60 lbs. more in unsprung weight than one with PCCB and Michelin Cup!)
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3815659

Updated with weights of Bridgestone RE71R, available for our Turbo. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...SortCode=58154
Note the significant weight saving over RE11 - 4 lbs per axle, 8 lbs total all 4 wheels.

Last edited by cannga; 07-30-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:30 AM
nacelle is on a distinguished road

Kudos to you for all that you have done here!!!

Old 08-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Are the GMG sways no longer available? I went to their website and they do not come up under suspension for an 08 turbo.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by turboslut
Are the GMG sways no longer available? I went to their website and they do not come up under suspension for an 08 turbo.
It's here:
https://www.gmgracing.com/store/gmg-...ay-bar-ki.html

If above is not available, other popular choices from reputable companies are H&R and Eibach. Tarett also makes one. Hope this helps.

nacelle, thanks for the nice comment.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:14 PM
Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !
So I have the same suspension on my turbo. Do these shocks need rebuilt after a certain amount of time?

Last edited by Marpir821; 08-08-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Marpir821
So I have the same suspension on my turbo. Do these shocks need rebuilt after a certain amount of time?
I believe much depends on how the car has been used, for example repeated high speed drives on roads with potholes and racetrack use would obviously be more taxing on the shock absorber.

While some advocate rebuilt of shock absorber after x miles, in reality for most of us and for a mostly street coilover such as the Bilstein, I don't expect a rebuilt is needed any more often than the stock unit, which to me implies a long long time.

If there are signs of failure (leakage of fluid, bottoming out when hitting a bump, "porpoising" afterwards) then surely it's a pain, but hopefully Bilstein's lifetime warranty will kick in.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:48 PM
cam99 will become famous soon enoughcam99 will become famous soon enough
Is replacing the just sway bars a good place to start?

Old 08-30-2016, 06:07 PM
marzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of lightmarzz is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by cam99
Is replacing the just sway bars a good place to start?
yes and no, depending on your driving style, stiffer front -> more understeer, stiffer rear ->more oversteer

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average.

Quick Reply: Pics & Review of My Bilstein PSS10 Lowered Red Turbo