997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Pics & Review of My Bilstein PSS10 Lowered Red Turbo

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:48 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Not sure on my spring rates, but the floaty feeling happens above 85. My car is in the shop now getting the alignment done to the specs mentioned above. I went ahead and bought the Tarrett drop links for the front and am getting the car corner balanced too.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:10 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by White Rock
Not sure on my spring rates, but the floaty feeling happens above 85. My car is in the shop now getting the alignment done to the specs mentioned above. I went ahead and bought the Tarrett drop links for the front and am getting the car corner balanced too.
340/565 are Bilstein spring rates AFAIK.

I would highly recommend that you get BOTH front and rear Tarett drop links. (Did someone recommend to get front only and if so was there a reason given?) The drop link affects stiffness A LOT and your car would be imbalanced with metallic heim joint (Tarett) in front and rubber (stock) in the back. It would cause car to understeer, very much *not* a good idea in our car. Lastly, it's the rear of the Turbo that needs to be stiffen as it likes to mambo a lot; hence if anything it's the rear that would benefit from Tarett drop link.

Have fun. The Tarett drop links are exactly what I would recommend next if you want to get rid of that soft floaty sensation. Another thing to try is Bridgestone RE 11 tire, which has a much stiffer sidewall than Super Sport. Noticeably so, instantly.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Can't believe 9yrs since you wrote this thread, nice work.
C

Old 03-20-2017, 11:43 PM
RajuPatel is on a distinguished road
B16 spring specs

I have installed the TechArt B16 Damptronics with PASM. The difference between them is as shown in the image. I have the TPC Racing's DSC box also installed on the car. The DSC has made the city ride better than what came out of the box from the Bilstein's. Having said that, the ride is still very harsh (stiff) at high speeds on the freeways'. So much so that the car hops around and i cannot utilise the car's potential in a straight line acceleration. I am planning to remove the RED helper spring and also the TechArt spring and install SWIFT springs (front and back). I am considering 320 (front) and 500 (rear). would this help? FYI I "maybe" track my car once a year.

I had enquired with Evasive Motorsport (SWIFT distributors) and they wrote back asking me what is the current spring length, inner diameter, and the current spring rate. I tried searching for the TechArt spring details. No luck. I have asked TechArt for the replacement springs. But no luck yet on that front too.

Would anyone know the Bilstein Damptronic inner diameter of the spring and the it's stock spring length? TechArt's is obviously shorter because of the Nose Lift device. Any help would be highly welcome.

Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2017, 08:09 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RajuPatel
Would anyone know the Bilstein Damptronic inner diameter of the spring and the it's stock spring length? TechArt's is obviously shorter because of the Nose Lift device. Any help would be highly welcome.
From this post: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3333907

There are two places you could get springs that fit Bilstein: Hypercoil and Swift Springs. The springs you want to look for is 70mm ID, 6 inches long front, 8 inches long rear. The process is very easy and cheap - labor should be around 300-400 per axle.
Swift Springs: http://www.swiftsprings.net/products...r-springs.html
Hyperco: http://www.hypercoils.com/PDF/70mm.pdf
Currently my car is set at 448 front/600 rear - versus Bilstein's 336/560.
The front spring is Swift Spring part # Z70-152-080: Internal Diameter 70mm, free length 152mm=6 inches, spring rate 8 kgf/mm=448 lbs/inch.
The rear spring is Hypercoil part # 8P0600: Internal Diameter 70mm, free length 8 inches, spring rate 600 lbs/inch.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:17 PM
1. I have installed the TechArt B16 Damptronics with PASM. The difference between them is as shown in the image. I have the TPC Racing's DSC box also installed on the car. The DSC has made the city ride better than what came out of the box from the Bilstein's. Having said that, the ride is still very harsh (stiff) at high speeds on the freeways'. So much so that the car hops around and i cannot utilise the car's potential in a straight line acceleration.

I am planning to remove the RED helper spring and also the TechArt spring and install SWIFT springs (front and back). I am considering 320 (front) and 500 (rear). would this help? FYI I "maybe" track my car once a year.
1.Wow is the Techart version that hard? I assume the tuner has driven the car? Have you tried to ask Techart what their spring rates are front and rear? Before you do anything, this is the key piece of information IMHO.

Ask your tuner but the helper spring in this setup does NOT contribute to the rate (it's fully compressed once installed) and is there to reduce noise, etc. You don't need (and should NOT) remove it if you are going to use the same spring length as the OEM Techart.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Can't believe 9yrs since you wrote this thread, nice work.
C
Hey how are you? Long time no see and ah yes we are all a bit older now.

What exotic sports car are you onto now?

Old 03-22-2017, 08:32 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
You can't tell me you're still driving that thing are you???

Old 03-22-2017, 10:05 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
'07 turbo still, a few aircooled cars in between....I'm still here, just don't post much.
Chris

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 03-22-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by cannga
From this post: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3333907

There are two places you could get springs that fit Bilstein: Hypercoil and Swift Springs. The springs you want to look for is 70mm ID, 6 inches long front, 8 inches long rear. The process is very easy and cheap - labor should be around 300-400 per axle.
Swift Springs: http://www.swiftsprings.net/products...r-springs.html
Hyperco: http://www.hypercoils.com/PDF/70mm.pdf
Currently my car is set at 448 front/600 rear - versus Bilstein's 336/560.
The front spring is Swift Spring part # Z70-152-080: Internal Diameter 70mm, free length 152mm=6 inches, spring rate 8 kgf/mm=448 lbs/inch.
The rear spring is Hypercoil part # 8P0600: Internal Diameter 70mm, free length 8 inches, spring rate 600 lbs/inch.
Thank you for all the help. I will be definitely ordering SWIFT from EVASIVE MOTORSPORTS.. Glad to see people like you who are eager to help a soul in "distress". Thank you so much..

Old 03-23-2017, 12:53 AM
1.Wow is the Techart version that hard? I assume the tuner has driven the car? Have you tried to ask Techart what their spring rates are front and rear? Before you do anything, this is the key piece of information IMHO.

Ask your tuner but the helper spring in this setup does NOT contribute to the rate (it's fully compressed once installed) and is there to reduce noise, etc. You don't need (and should NOT) remove it if you are going to use the same spring length as the OEM Techart.
The TechArt spring is around 4" in length. And due to it's short working length, it is, I guess, very "sportive" in nature. This TechArt rep's response in relation to my query fro changing the spring or the spring rate "For springs there is no option for more comfortable ones, the lowering respective the shorter bouncing distance of the springs "causes" the sportive ride." The ride is very very harsh (and noisy) on city roads. And on the freeways, (in conjunction with the very high rate rear Mains) it is literally back breaking.

My thought of options (excuse me if i sound "stupid"):-

1. I remove the front Helper & Main spring's in the TechArt (nose Lift setup) and just put a 6" SWIFT 350 rate spring and be done with it. This will help me maintain the "nose lift" function. Similarly i will just replace the rear Main springs to about 650 rate. I will keep the rear Helper's.

2. Alternatively can I remove the nose lift function in the front and put a 9" long SWIFT Main spring (and no Helper's).

3. To remove the "nose Lift" hardware from the B16 unit. Then Install the Helper spring and the desired rate SWIFT Main springs. I plan to use 350 up front and 650 in the rear.

All sound technical advice is appreciated to improve my ride... Thanks

Old 03-23-2017, 03:22 PM
The TechArt spring is around 4" in length. And due to it's short working length, it is, I guess, very "sportive" in nature. This TechArt rep's response in relation to my query fro changing the spring or the spring rate "For springs there is no option for more comfortable ones, the lowering respective the shorter bouncing distance of the springs "causes" the sportive ride." The ride is very very harsh (and noisy) on city roads. And on the freeways, (in conjunction with the very high rate rear Mains) it is literally back breaking.

My thought of options (excuse me if i sound "stupid"):-

1. I remove the front Helper & Main spring's in the TechArt (nose Lift setup) and just put a 6" SWIFT 350 rate spring and be done with it. This will help me maintain the "nose lift" function. Similarly i will just replace the rear Main springs to about 650 rate. I will keep the rear Helper's.

2. Alternatively can I remove the nose lift function in the front and put a 9" long SWIFT Main spring (and no Helper's).

3. To remove the "nose Lift" hardware from the B16 unit. Then Install the Helper spring and the desired rate SWIFT Main springs. I plan to use 350 up front and 650 in the rear.

All sound technical advice is appreciated to improve my ride... Thanks
The mechanics and function of Techart Bilstein is obviously way beyond my knowledge/experience, so really the only thing I have to add is that for spring rates, I probably would vote to err on the conservative side at this point, such as 336 front/560 rear, same as the stock Bilstein rates. 650 rear may be too stiff still.

Stiffer suspensions are extremely fun on smooth curvy roads and the track, but once you have bumps and potholes, all bets are off.

Good luck and hope things will work out well for you. Update this thread once all is said and done.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:41 AM
The mechanics and function of Techart Bilstein is obviously way beyond my knowledge/experience, so really the only thing I have to add is that for spring rates, I probably would vote to err on the conservative side at this point, such as 336 front/560 rear, same as the stock Bilstein rates. 650 rear may be too stiff still.

Stiffer suspensions are extremely fun on smooth curvy roads and the track, but once you have bumps and potholes, all bets are off.

Good luck and hope things will work out well for you. Update this thread once all is said and done.
Thank you. I definitely will be posting post R&D ...

Old 03-24-2017, 08:47 AM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Bump for an epic thread and hello to many. I too have become more of a forum voyeur.

My damptronics are still running strong after 7 years.

Can-the thread will never die

Old 03-24-2017, 12:17 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
Lordy...I don't have the attention span to read all that. Your car is beautiful. Why doesn't it look "lowered?" That's the only question I have. It doesn't look like much of a change in that department.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average.

Quick Reply: Pics & Review of My Bilstein PSS10 Lowered Red Turbo