997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My 997.1 Turbo 68mm VTG Build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 02:54 PM
Irishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud of
My 997.1 Turbo 68mm VTG Build

Starting this thread to document my build and to post the performance results associated with the build. Two years ago I acquired a clean, one owner, Midnight Blue 6MT 997.1 Turbo. The car had 57,000 KM on the clock and was virgin to any modifications. When I purchased the car, I had decided that I was going to pursue an aggressive VTG build as I have no desire to build the motor. Here is a pick of the car just before I drove it off the lot.

I have tackled the project in a couple of phases thus far, primarily focusing on my power goals and being able to put the power to the ground. The following work was complete in the fall of 2017:

Phase 1
  • Vorsteiner VFF-101 Wheels
  • Michelin PS4S Rubber
  • Do88 Turbo Inlet Tubes
  • Do88 Y-Pipe
  • Do88 GT2 Intercoolers
  • Sachs Stage 2.5 Clutch
  • Kline 2.75" Catless Exhaust
  • Cobb Stage 2 OTS Map
  • Paint Correction & 5 Year Ceramic Pro Treatment
  • Kenwood Apple Car Play Head Unit Replacement
Here is a picture of the beast after its Ceramic treatment:

Unfortunately, I did not dyno or 1/4 mile the car after phase 1 so will be missing this data point in my build thread. I had completed Phase one in late fall so I was unable to get it to the track or dyno. Canadian climate can be a blessing and a curse, the 1/4 mile track was shut down by the time I had completed the work on the car. Phase 2 was about turbo upgrades while conducting major maintenance on the motor with new OEM parts.

Phase 2
  • 68mm VTG Turbos from By Design
  • IPD Plenum
  • IPD Throttle Body
  • Kline Headers
  • 1300 Injectors
  • H&R Sport Springs
  • Fabspeed Quad Tail Pipes
  • New OEM Ignition Coils
  • New OEM Plugs
  • New OEM Water Pump
  • New OEM, orings, gaskets and lines
  • Pinned Coolant Lines
  • Customer Stage 4 Tuning by Sam@ByDesign
I have been working with Sam@ByDesign to dial in the car. He has been incredible to work worth, I produce the logs and within 1 hour, regardless of time of day, I had a new tune to test and work with. I am extremely pleased with the final result.

The car is dialed in and pulling like a freight train. Following is a 3rd gear WOT pull line graph that I put together using a data log with the final tune. AFRs are bang on between 11-12 throughout the rev range. Ignition ramps up nicely and the car makes peak boost of 22.5 at 4500 rpm and holds to redline. The car is shockingly fast yet so drama free:

I will be hitting the 1/4 mile track on May 31st to capture some real world results. I will also be heading to the dyno to document the power of the car. The goal is 650-700 horse power at the tires. I will update this thread as performance results come in. Stay tuned and thanks for reading.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:32 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Awesome! Love threads like this. Get some 3rd gear 60-100 runs to see how it does in "real-world" pulls. More useful than the dyno imho.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:05 PM
buffalosojah will become famous soon enoughbuffalosojah will become famous soon enough
Nice build. Inspiration for my goals. How does the clutch hold up to that type of power?

Old 05-20-2019, 08:57 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buffalosojah
Nice build. Inspiration for my goals. How does the clutch hold up to that type of power?
I have that clutch and used to have 68s...no problems with pumpgas. Not sure about race gas or e85 though

Old 05-20-2019, 10:45 PM
jakethunder is on a distinguished road
Did you sell off the do88 y-pipe? I’m close to your first phase setup

Old 05-21-2019, 12:08 AM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
good stuff right there

Old 05-21-2019, 02:09 AM
Irishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Awesome! Love threads like this. Get some 3rd gear 60-100 runs to see how it does in "real-world" pulls. More useful than the dyno imho.
I have a Dragy performance meter coming on Wednesday. I will certainly be doing some 60-100 and 60-130 pulls for real world data points as well.

Originally Posted by buffalosojah
No clutch issues to report at the moment. Holding up nicely to the power!

Originally Posted by jakethunder
Did you sell off the do88 y-pipe? I’m close to your first phase setup
Still have it installed. I could not install the IPD pipe as I don’t have the right sized couplers to mate with the inlet tubes. So Do88 is going to stay a while. If you are interested in a brand new IPD ypipe let me know

I have that clutch and used to have 68s...no problems with pumpgas. Not sure about race gas or e85 though
Hoping no issues. I love this clutch as it feels and performs like OEM. Will advise if issues arise on race gas. Also I believe you are local in Toronto. Would love to see your Xona build first hand.

Originally Posted by twturbo
good stuff right there
Many thanks, stay tuned for updates!

Old 05-21-2019, 06:50 AM
Geo2JZ is on a distinguished road
Looks like a fun build. What boost controller are you using and are you tuning on Cobb?

Old 05-21-2019, 07:34 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
this looks familiar Nice work

Old 05-21-2019, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by Geo2JZ
Looks like a fun build. What boost controller are you using and are you tuning on Cobb?
No boost controller since I am running VTGs. Stock DME tuned through Cobb.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:52 AM
Former Vendor
@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all
Fun stuff! Congrats!

Old 05-21-2019, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Irishace
Also I believe you are local in Toronto. Would love to see your Xona build first hand.
Yup, I am in Richmond Hill, we can meet up sometime. There are a few locals who should meet up one day.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:46 PM
DOOBEE will become famous soon enoughDOOBEE will become famous soon enough
Nice build. Another MB in the GTA.

I'm finally back on the road again, we will definitely need to all end up at the same meet sometime to compare notes.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:51 PM
Yup, I am in Richmond Hill, we can meet up sometime. There are a few locals who should meet up one day.
Originally Posted by DOOBEE
Nice build. Another MB in the GTA.

I'm finally back on the road again, we will definitely need to all end up at the same meet sometime to compare notes.
Lets certainly figure out a meet. Better yet, let’s go hit the strip at Toronto motorsports park and lay a beating on some domestics.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Cheers pal it's been a pleasure working with you as well. Your car is running so well on pump smooth and conservative. Enjoy it!
Sam you are an absolute gem. The car is flawless. Your hardware recommendations combined with your tuning has been impeccable. Looking forward to a race gas map!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 997.1 Turbo 68mm VTG Build