997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

FYI for "higher" mileage and/or modified 997 turbos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:57 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Exclamation FYI for "higher" mileage and/or modified 997 turbos

Hey fellas, during what we were expecting to be a routine project today we actually discovered something new... There are indeed some folks that actually drive these cars In all seriousness though we had a customer drive down from Calgary (Canada) with a "higher" mileage 07 Turbo and some 24K miles on the odometer. Usually the cars we've seen here have anywhere from 3 miles (from our local dealer) to 10K. On tap was a full EVT580 Stage II with the EVOMSit software, Cargraphic exhaust and EVO BRVs. A run-of-the mill type of deal for us you would think... But we were right to be suspicious

So far the only time we've ever changed the spark plugs on 997TT's was on EVT700 kits because once the turbos are off access easy. Thanks to Porsche and the layout of the VTGs, controllers and turbo ducts access hasn't looked very friendly unless the turbos are off. From our 996TT experience we know that the most stock beru plugs last in a flashed/modded car is about 13K. Anything over that and we absolutely insist on changing plugs (01s with FR5s have to be changed no matter what) before doing any sort of modification. Porsche calls for a spark plug change at 30k intervals (much more realistic than with the 996TT which was every 60K) so this car was getting close to needing new plugs even in stock form. Sure enough with an extra 100hp or so these plugs were not happy. The plugs for the 997TT are a more "delicate" design and this time use a Bosch double platinum style set up.

Hence, those of you with higher mileage cars that are thinking of modifying make sure you consider changing your plugs around the 20K plus mark. At least plan for it. For those of you already with modded cars just know that going over 20K might mean a trip to the dealer/shop for a spark plug change. Symptoms will be a flashing CEL under hard acceleration between 3-4K and bucking/stuttering (misfiring) and a P03xx missfire code. It's subtle at first and gets worse quickly to the point of a flashing CEL. I don't yet know what a dealership would charge or what book time is but James did do it without taking the turbos off and he has wee hands (albeit bloodied). My guess is that it won't be cheap because apparently the turbos have to come off Oh and the plugs aren't cheap either

Here's James measuring the gap of the ones that came out vs the ones going in. Should be around .7mm and this one was a "bit" out of spec at 1.14mm:

New (top) vs Buggered (bottom)

Left (new) vs (Buggered (right)

Look closely at the Electrode of the "crap" one...

Old 09-16-2008, 11:02 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Cargraphic Exhaust (they've always nailed the sound even from the 996TT days):

With some techart tips, which are easy to install and line up thanks to the adjustable outlet pipe on the Cargraphic (please everyone do this):

In go the BRV's (in black this time):

Just about ready now with the new plugs back in to go for a final drive tonight before she's ready to go home...

Anyways, nothing ground-breaking here but just an "annoyance" that we knew was coming... We just didn't know exactly when

Last edited by sharkster; 09-16-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:57 AM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
Alex, how many hours should be fair for replacing 996TT spark plugs?

Old 09-17-2008, 02:20 AM
Originally Posted by Ray
Alex, how many hours should be fair for replacing 996TT spark plugs?
Much much easier and depends on whether or not you have a stock or aftermarket exhaust (makes access different). I believe dealers say 5-6... It's usually about 3-4.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:09 AM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
missfire? first thing done to my car, 996 tt spark plags.
we find out over one year ago that there is a problem with stock 997 tt spark plugs.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by 997 GT3 RS/TT
missfire? first thing done to my car, 996 tt spark plags.
we find out over one year ago that there is a problem with stock 997 tt spark plugs.
You did the right thing! I have to say the design/style used is not my favorite you're right!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:10 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Car was shipped from Alberta, CA? Wow...

Old 09-17-2008, 10:16 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Who drives their 997 Turbos? Where - where? I drive mine - no daily but on trips to Florida. Otherwise it would get only 2-3K a year.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Car was shipped from Alberta, CA? Wow...
Actually this one was even more hardcore since he _drove_ it down here

Old 09-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Who drives their 997 Turbos? Where - where? I drive mine - no daily but on trips to Florida. Otherwise it would get only 2-3K a year.
Haha see what I mean

Old 09-17-2008, 12:01 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
27k here, I'm planning on the plug change at 30k miles.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
27k here, I'm planning on the plug change at 30k miles.
Hopefully they don't look as bad as:

Old 09-17-2008, 01:34 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Shouldn't, I have no symptoms whatsoever.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:40 PM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
Damn...I hate when my plugs get 'buggered'.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by maxwell
Damn...I hate when my plugs get 'buggered'.
ROFL, there's still some Limey/Brit in me yet

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FYI for "higher" mileage and/or modified 997 turbos