997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Dymag Wheel Strength

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:49 AM
GEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Dymag Wheel Strength

Here are the pic's from my turn to avoid a dog !

10" tall median square curb, speed 40 mph

barrel failed, but the spokes are very strong as shown....

There is a white towel for the pic to show the contrast of the rim

Gee-Bee

Insurance said no-problem

Attached Images   
Old 11-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
OUCH! Thank god for insurance!

Old 11-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I have seen cast wheels take an impact like that and just shatter! That Dymag is superior

Old 11-12-2008, 01:49 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
1+ for insurance....

Old 11-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vividracing
I have seen cast wheels take an impact like that and just shatter! That Dymag is superior
Indeed!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 01:12 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
Insurance covered 100% of an aftermarket rim??? Who are you using, and did you list it with them before the accident?
I'm very impressed with the outcome though. That's a quality product!

Old 11-15-2008, 01:29 PM
GEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Insurance

einsurance.com

1875.00 per year on this Model, I have several car's and I will just leave it at that...

Gee-Bee

Old 11-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Banned
SpasticDwarf is on a distinguished road
So they can survive a curb hit.... but they can't survive high-load turns like they're supposed to?

I'd be more worried about the latter seeing as it's unlikely that I run into any curbs on the track. The wheels in the other thread failed doing exactly what it was designed to do.

I don't mean to come in and smear your thread like this, but making a thread about the strength of the wheels I think needs to have the other side of the fence shown.

Last edited by SpasticDwarf; 11-15-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:47 AM
nick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud of
You will find that the Dymags centers have now been redesigned. The material is now an alloy of magnesium and aluminum whereas before they were just magnesium. In addition to that the center design has changed to make them less prone to flexing. The change to their weight is minimal.

Last edited by nick_usa; 11-16-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Banned
SpasticDwarf is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nick_usa
You will find that the Dymags centers have now been redesigned. The material is now an alloy of magnesium and aluminum whereas before they were just aluminum. In addition to that the center design has changed to make them less prone to flexing. The change to their weight is minimal.
That's good to hear. I thought they were all magnesium before though?

Old 11-16-2008, 08:54 AM
nick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud ofnick_usa has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SpasticD<wbr><wbr><wbr><wbr>warf
Th<wbr><wbr><wbr><wbr>at's good to hear. I thought they were all magnesium before though?
<wbr><wbr><wbr><wbr>

Yep, sorry, typo

(Previous post edited)